Nakiska, 2/7/08

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Ben flew home last night, but I suspect he might have found today a familiar experience after 5 years living in Boston.

Nakiska is almost completely snowmaking dependent. They cover nearly all runs blowing snow from October 15 to around New Year's. It's strictly trail skiing, as the trees between runs are very dense, and the mountains above the ski area and above the trees show only scattered natural cover.

The fall lines are pretty good, since the mountain was built to host the 1988 Olympic alpine events. One of the trails from the upper Gold chair is used all morning for race training.

The snowmaking trails are all groomed, with firm packed powder more often than not, particularly on the lower Silver chair. But some steep pitches had frozen granular, in particular the skier's right trail off the top.

Temps were around -15C, completely overcast in the morning. But after lunch there was some sun and it became more comfortable with better visbility.

While riding the upper lift I observed part of 2 trails without snowmaking, numerous weeds showing but still passable. I told Adam that the MRG people here on FTO would be all over a run like that. So we skied them, and as you easterners have said, no snowmaking may mean thin cover, but there wasn't any frozen granular. And Baldy has trained us some in avoiding obstacles.

Surprised to hear that you of all people :wink: went to Nakiska.

On my final day, I had a choice between Norquay and Nakiska and went with the former, though I was curious to see what the latter is like terrain-wise, as I knew that it was snowmaking dependent.

jamesdeluxe":8j7hpial said:
Surprised to hear that you of all people :wink: went to Nakiska.

On my final day, I had a choice between Norquay and Nakiska and went with the former, though I was curious to see what the latter is like terrain-wise, as I knew that it was snowmaking dependent.

I believe Tony has already been to Norquay and he's sucker for a new area just like me (see Waterville report last Spring). :wink:

Patrick":3unukt6e said:
he's sucker for a new area just like me (see Waterville report last Spring)

New areas are great, but let's face it, Patrick. That four-hour trip to Waterville was just plain weird... free or not. I think you were just trying to get away from the house.
:wink:

I'm on a comp itinerary with Travel Alberta. I convinced them to put me up at Castle Mt. for 3 nights and 2 days. It would be worth 3 days at Nakiska to get the day I had today at Castle.

The day I had at Norquay in March 2002 was even colder than this week. I agree Norquay has more diverse terrain. And the snow that day was good, though 2002 was a big year up here and I suspect Norquay can have plenty of hardpack with its 105 inch average.

Pictures:

020708_silver.JPG

020708_goldlift.JPG

020708_gold.JPG

020708_adambull.JPG

020708_adambull2.JPG

020708_ranchsunset.JPG

Back