Alpine Meadows, 2/18/05

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
I took my younger son Andrew on a 4-day trip for his semester break. The first day at Alpine Meadows was Friday, before the big holiday crush. Weather was overcast but not cold, foggy at the top of Summit, and snowing lightly from about 11AM to 1:30PM. It had snowed 6-8 inches Monday/Tuesday but it was tracked out or set up. Nonetheless most everything on the Summit side was packed powder on a very deep base, so you could ski anywhere. Scott, Lakeview and Sherwood had an occasionally crunchy subsurface, so there must have been a warm and sunny day midweek. The worst 20% of terrain here had comparable conditions to the best I saw in Canada last week of January.

I toured Andrew around the mountain before lunch. It has ideal terrain for an aspiring intermediate like him, as you can venture into bumps, off-trail or short steep shots without getting overmatched. Unfortunately my old boots that worked for him last year are now too small and he retired in pain at 1:30. I then ran a few laps on Alpine's steeper runs off Summit before taking Andrew into Tahoe City to get new boots. Then we drove around the lake to Harvey's seafood buffet for dinner.

alpn_roundhouse.JPG

alpn_bowl.JPG

Tony Crocker":hszz5m0t said:
Unfortunately my old boots that worked for him last year are now too small and he retired in pain at 1:30.

From the looks of it, Andrew got your old ski pants, too. :lol: :lol: :lol: How could you do that to your own kid? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Believe it or not, Andrew liked those ski pants. He has a tendency to get lost and they sure made him easier to spot.

Back