Kirkwood, 2/19/05

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
We arrived at Kirkwood about 9:15 and parked in the beginner area lot to avoid holiday crowds. The morning was sunny, warm near the base but cool and windy on the backside. We went over there right away to beat the crowd on the slow (and cold) quad chair. Andrew used chair 3 to get back for lunch while I skied Two Man Chute (I think) from Thunder Saddle.

After lunch weather deteriorated, snowing steadily from about 1PM. About 3PM the wind picked up and it was pretty nasty up top, though no lifts closed.

I usually go to Kirkwood in mediocre conditions because it will be decent when other Tahoe areas are marginal. Andrew was up there in such conditions before Christmas and noted the dramatic change with the current 15 foot base. When I was on my own skiing Wagon Wheel I noticed that chutes and gullies below the bowl were much wider and more filled in than I remember from prior visits. On out last run we traversed beyond Sentinel Bowl and skied through skier-packed bowls and trees into a gully leading back to the beginner area where we had parked.

kirk_backside.JPG

kirk_base.JPG

kirk_wagon.JPG

kirk_trees.JPG

kirk_glade.JPG

Back