June Mt., 2/21/05

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
As great as the Mt. Rose Chutes were, I paid the price the next 2 days as my legs were totally dead.

We left the Carson Valley a little before 7AM and arrived at June Mt. about 9:15. Observing the weather as I drove over snowy and foggy Conway Summit, I surmised that Mammoth would be a poor call with holiday traffic and the upper mountain almost certainly closed. It snowed all day at June, very hard after lunch, and it had snowed about 2 feet over the previous 3 days.

June is not that busy even on holidays, so there was powder everywhere. Much of June is pretty flat, so as at Northstar 6 weeks ago you need to watch your step or you will get stuck. Due to my dead legs I contented myself with low angle runs most of the time. But I still couldn't resist a couple of the steeper shots at the top of June. And I skied 3 runs on June's rarely open Face. The snow was heavier down there, but it's steep and gravity makes it work, especially on fat skis.

We left at 2:30 to drive back to L.A. Despite the storm the snow was not sticking to the road between June and Sherwin Grade. The surprise was the torrential rain in the desert between Lone Pine and Mojave. A few miles above Mojave there was an accident that took 35 minutes to clear, and then a 5 mile detour around a flooded section of road.

I arrived home at 9PM, after 1100 miles of driving in 4 days, 81K vertical, 19K of it powder, and too tired to contemplate the 4-6 feet of snow that fell on Mt. Baldy while I was at Tahoe. But I'll be ready to check that out this weekend.

june_stash.JPG

june_top.JPG

june_4trees.JPG

june_face.JPG

Back