Snowbird/White Pine backcountry, Utah - 3/8/09

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 43: Avalanche

Will post more later, including photos, as I'm up at the Iron Blosam with Tony Crocker's crew. But quickly:

1. We toured into White Pine through the Gad 2 gate.
2. One of our group on his second turn kicked off a slide in the Birthday Chutes that carried him for the length of the chute, approximately 600 vertical feet. He managed to stay on surface and ride it out, escaping unscathed. Scary stuff.
3. Before anyone second-guesses:
  • Avalanche danger for NW aspects (where we were at the time) was low.
  • Wind loading on the slope was minimal
  • We were following proper travel protocols and were properly equipped
  • We signed out with Patrol, and in fact discussed route selection with two patrollers on the ridge separating White Pine from Boundary Bowl. All agreed that our route selection was the best option, and should have been stable.

A photo of the slide:

utah_whitepine_birthdaychutes_090308.jpg

I'm glad everyone is OK. I've skied that slope 3 times in the last two weeks and am surprised to see it slab off the way it did, especially under the current conditions. We caused a similar slab in Tuscarora from a ski cut today, though not of the same slope size.

Well, Jon and I just left Tony's Iron Blosam group where we enjoyed the usual wonderful dinner with terrific conversation and of course much wine flowing. It was an appropriate end to an "interesting" day.

Plans were made last night to ski White Pine this morning.

01 utah_whitepine_090308.jpg

Much planning, actually, including the usual perusal of avalanche forecasts, route mapping, and time analysis. Our route would take us from the top of Gad 2 up the Boundary Bowl ridgeline to a rocky outcropping at a false summit, then southwest to the Birthday Chutes.

06 snowbird_boundarybowlridge_090308.jpg

Bobby Danger, Skidog, Tele Jon, Tony Crocker, Skiace, Ben and I all met up on the Tram Plaza at 9 or so (Tony was straggling a bit). We knew that we wanted to get out the Gad 2 gate before the winds picked up too strongly ahead of the approaching storm. We checked each other's safety gear and boarded the Tram, cruising down a freshly groomed Regulator Johnson en route to the Gad 2 chair.

Atop Gad 2, we entered the patrol shack to sign out and get some last-minute beta. All present agreed that the Birthday Chutes would be a good route choice for the day, and we headed out the gate.

The first part of the climb is rather steep as you try to make the ridge (I apologize for the quality of some of these photos as they're frame captures from the video I shot).

2009-03-08 White Pine 09.JPG

The climbing route ascends the west side of Boundary Bowl, up a ridgeline that forms a shoulder of American Fork Twin Peaks. The higher we went, the stronger the winds became.

2009-03-08 White Pine 12.JPG

They weren't, however, loading the line we intended to ski: the first Birthday Chute. In fact, a couple of Snowbird patrollers caught up to Tony and myself, as we were picking up the rear of our climbing party. By this point our destination was within view, and they agreed that our chosen line would be the right one. We pushed on, and caught up to the rest of the group.

2009-03-08 White Pine 18.JPG

Honestly, the most unsettling portion of the day was on the hike, not the ski, for near the top of our climb we had to ascend an icy slope with about 300 feet of cheese-grater rocks below. A definite DFU zone, but on foot, not on skis.

2009-03-08 White Pine 19.JPG

After about an hour and 20 minutes of hiking we reached the point where we'd click in. We paused for a bit to rest and snap photos before heading southwest into the Birthday Chutes.

02 utah_slc_greatsaltlake_090308.jpg

05_snowbird_pfeifferhorn_090308.jpg

03 snowbird_boundarybowl_090308.jpg

04 snowbird_whitepinehike_090308.jpg

What we found was thick, creamy, whipped snow. The next gully to the west looked to be wind-loaded, so we deliberately avoided that slope and doubled back to the first chute. We developed a travel protocol, identifying an island of safety below at which we would regroup. Bobby pushed off first, skiing the thick snow more tentatively than I've ever seen him ski. He reached the bottom and set up one camera. I remained on top with another camera.

Next to drop in was Ben. On his third turn, however, all hell broke loose...or rather the entire slope.

2009-03-08 White Pine 29.JPG

It only fractured about six inches deep, but it also gathered from both the left and the right, sucking Ben into the gully and carrying him down. Ben fought valiantly to swim, using every skill he'd learned from his Avi 1 class to keep his feet below him and keep his head above the flow. Both Bobby and I stopped filming immediately, instead concentrating on where Ben was heading and making mental notes on where he might end up. A rolling cloud of snow formed the leading edge of the slide as it spilled out onto the flats below, with Ben thankfully still riding on the surface. Some 600 vertical feet or so later, Ben managed to swim to the edge and come to rest.

He dusted himself off, and skied down to where Bobby stood, somehow remaining calm and cool despite the frightening ordeal he'd just endured.

One by one the rest of us skied down to the flats, staying in the slide zone to avoid triggering any lingering instability elsewhere. The base was rock hard, as the slide had stripped the slope of anything resembling soft snow. We gathered below, thanked our blessings that no one was injured, or worse, and continued onward.

After a broad open low-angle slope below the flats,

2009-03-08 White Pine 40.JPG

we regrouped again and looked back upward to watch three snowboarders ride the wind-loaded gully that we'd avoided earlier. They saw the slide that we'd triggered, but that didn't seem to do anything to dissuade them. We were certain that they'd release that slope, and remained ready to do what we could if that situation arose, but somehow -- and thankfully -- it didn't.

The rest of the run was relatively low-angle...nothing to cause any concern, which was a relief after what had just happened.

2009-03-08 White Pine 46.JPG

We encountered a lone skier skinning up and alerted him to the conditions above. We also stumbled across three who had just spent the night camping in a snow cave. I tried to call Snowbird Ski Patrol but got stuck in an endless automated phone routing loop. Eventually we found our way back to the Little Cottonwood Road, where Bobby and Skidog had earlier spotted a pickup truck to return all of us to Snowbird.

I walked into the Activities Office and asked to use the phone to call Gad 2 Ski Patrol, where they put their head of snow safety on the line. He advised that two skiers on the ridge witnessed the slide and called them to report it, at which time they closed the Gad 2 gate. He thanked me for calling the incident in, and we all headed off to grab some well-earned lunch.

When I can find the time this week I'll work on producing the video.

Just wondering...Who did the analysis of the slope's stability?

Did anyone dig snowpits on that slope?

Did anyone in your group have the skills to assess slope stability? and how important do you think that is?

Sharon":1nywa8bz said:
Just wondering...Who did the analysis of the slope's stability?

Did anyone dig snowpits on that slope?

Did anyone in your group have the skills to assess slope stability? and how important do you think that is?

Well, it's Monday morning. Here comes the quarterbacking.

None of us dug a pit. The forecast for the aspect was "low" even with the wind blowing in the direction it was. 30 minutes before skiing that slope, as we were a quarter mile away and within sight of the slope we consulted with two of Gad 2's patrollers who agreed that the choice of slope was appropriate. We skied it with caution and followed appropriate travel protocols. The one thing that we didn't do, and I believe we should have done, was slope cut it more effectively first. What I believe happened was that there was a slight gully on the skier's right side of the slope that because slightly cross-loaded more than the rest of the slope. It wasn't much, but it didn't take much.

Admin":1oxu4v2p said:
Well, it's Monday morning. Here comes the quarterbacking. The source, though, is somewhat ironic.

Why do you say that? I've only skied once on avalanche terrain without the appropriate gear or guidance (Snowy Slides, NY), and I know that it was risky and I relied on my friends for safety. It definitely raised my awareness, though I have yet to do anything about getting trained.

When I visited Utah last time I didn't bring avi gear because I knew I wasn't going to hire a guide and presumed that my friends were skiing in-bounds on ski patrol controlled terrain.

Next time, I'll bring the avi gear anyway, as I can see that stuff can slide in-bounds as well, and I see that I could be easily led into avalanche territory.

I am concerned mostly because I know that I don't have the skills necessary and I often follow friends whom I assume have the skills and experience. One of those friends is you. I've followed you out of bounds before. I was uncertain, but trusted your judgement. With all the avalanches this year, I am more aware and more concerned, especially with the frequency that people are led out of bounds without adequate assessment of slope stability.

As you know, just because you are wearing a beacon and carrying a shovel and probe, doesn't make you safer from getting into a slide.

Sharon":1i5e4zis said:
I am concerned mostly because I know that I don't have the skills necessary and I often follow friends whom I assume have the skills and experience.

Never assume anything, especially in that situation. Your own situational awareness is critical to safety. None of us are professional guides, and all have our various weaknesses and shortcomings. I'm human -- I make mistakes, and yesterday was one of them. We all made a mistake yesterday. It was fortunately a case of live-and-learn -- literally.

Was a "wake up call" for me......

I was sooo not ready to dig someone out. Though prepared physically and equipment wise, mentally it would've been something else. Was glad to see Ben pop up with his skis still on after his ride.

All in all a great day in the BC. We all learned a lesson. Low doesnt mean NO...

M

Admin":2ug1es0u said:
That was the irony. Glad to know that this has been effectively impressed upon you. It wasn't that long ago that you made some comments on several occasions that didn't reflect that understanding.

That was taken out of context...

not to :dead horse:

but, while I realized it would not make me safer from an avalanche, it would improve my chances of survival (even if only by a small percent), thereby improving my safety from potential death (even if only marginally)

semantics

interesting text from that link:

Skiers who leave ski resorts to venture into the backcountry only occasionally are at greater risk of triggering avalanches as they are often not as versed at assessing backcountry snowpack conditions.

Sharon, do you really have to stir the pot. They did everything right, and a pit at the top of that slope would not have been representative of the conditions in the slope. Maybe they hung it out there a bit more than normal, but everything turned out OK, and the group can learn from it.

But to post links like that does nothing but stir controversy and make you enemies. Just not smart to do.

jamesdeluxe":pmbfq1db said:
Sharon":pmbfq1db said:
Skiers who leave ski resorts to venture into the backcountry only occasionally are at greater risk of triggering avalanches
That means you, Admin.
:stir:

Nice try at stirring the pot, but I agree with that statement 100%. Of course I have less experience analyzing situations than those who spend several days per week in the BC. It would be blindly arrogant to assert anything to the contrary.

Back