Brundage, ID 3/22/2010

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
What a difference a day makes! Well rested and with 5 inches new snow this was one of my better lift served days this season. I used the new Head Jimi skis, which kept me mostly floating in the 5 inches with not much bottoming out due to the consistent intermediate pitch. Occasionally I would hear the tails on the subsurface while completing turns, but rarely enough to disrupt the flow of skiing.

Even near the base was a decent layer of new snow:
IMG_5939.JPG

Some early untracked snow:
IMG_5941.JPG

Near top of the Bluebird Express:
IMG_5942.JPG

About 11AM:
IMG_5947.JPG

About noon with idle Centennial chair in background:
IMG_5951.JPG

Viewed from Bluebird Express the mountain hut where we had lunch is at the top of the beginner Bear Chair, with upper mountain runs above.
IMG_5952.JPG

After lunch our hosts led us off the backside, first into this slackcountry stash with a long traverse out to the Lakeview chair.
IMG_5955.JPG

Mid-afternoon there are more tracks on the front side but it's still mostly powder.
IMG_5958.JPG

Around 3PM our host led us to Northwest Passage, the steepest marked run. He waited for it to get tracked out some because there are many more rocks in the crux than in a normal snow year.
IMG_5959.JPG

IMG_5960.JPG

I've been learning from admin, so I chose to take this powder filled tree shot next to NW Passage instead.
IMG_5961.JPG

Our guide was originally from the East, so he likes the bumps below NW Passage.
IMG_5965.JPG

Perhaps as soon as 2 years from now Brundage will put a lift on Sargent Mt. in background here. This will add a significant chunk of steep terrain and overall make the area at least as big as Schweitzer IMHO.
IMG_5966.JPG

Brundage also has snowcat skiing for $239 per day. It's located in the mountains in background which are on the opposite side of Hwy 55 from the ski area.
IMG_5967.JPG

I finished Monday with 27,900, conservatively 10K of powder, comparable to my days Feb. 28 at Mt. Baldy or March 10 at Snowbird.

Back