Mt. High, Feb. 22, 2011, Samantha R.I.P.:-(

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Andrew has some friends who just moved to Wrightwood, so I took him up there for the day. We arrived at East ~8:15 and had no wait getting him snowboard rental gear. It was 22F when we arrived and they were blowing snow at the base of Goldrush, but they turned it off when the lift opened at 8:30. Temps have been cool by SoCal standards, topping in the upper 30's, so surfaces remain mostly packed powder from the Friday/Saturday storms totaling 2 feet. Here's Andrew's first run on Goldrush:
IMG_7787.JPG

With the consistent surface we could really rip on the groomers, and since most of the clientele is at West I had racked up 19,200 vertical when I stopped for lunch at 11:30. I did explore a few places to make the morning more interesting. Olympic Bowl at the bottom of East was a popular mogul run when I began skiing. Coverage and surface was good despite the low elevation and no snowmaking.
IMG_7788.JPG

There are some short tree shots dropping from Sundance into Canyon like this:
IMG_7790.JPG

I did 3 of these. I also skied down the liftline of the seldom used Competition chair just looker's left of the high speed quad. In all of these cases I noticed that sheltered snow was still powdery, a rare occurrence in SoCal 3 days after a storm.

So after lunch I skied into Sawmill Canyon between East and West from the upper mountain beginner runs. North facing aspects retained good quality powder.
IMG_7794.JPG

IMG_7796.JPG

Sawmill is seriously flawed vs. Baldy/Waterman trees and sidecountry, thus generally not worth repeat efforts. The canyon floor runs on a direct south to north line, so most of the skiable fall lines are east or west exposed and soon baked by the SoCal sun. That canyon bottom is usually a PITA to ski, very narrow, with a sometime exposed creek and usually exposed vegetation.
IMG_7799.JPG

This goes on for 400 vertical below this picture. Back in 1985 Richard insisted on following me in here and it took him 90 minutes to get out. If you ski the north facing from the top you want to traverse onto the east or west slopes before you get too low to minimize time in the canyon bottom.

By 1PM I had left the relative tranquility of East and moved over to the scene at West.
IMG_7800.JPG

In fairness the snow is rarely this good at Mt. High, and I'm sure I was not alone in taking advantage of 2-for-1 Tuesday ticket promotion. This top-to-bottom line for West's high speed quad averaged about 5 minutes. They did not run the upper mountain Exhibition lift, which I'm skiing under here:
IMG_7801.JPG

After 3 runs I moved to the slow but quieter Conquest chair. View from that lift:
IMG_7802.JPG

West has numerous short and moderately steep shots, some narrow or in the trees, which complement the long cruisers on East. Backfire run on Inferno Ridge:
IMG_7804.JPG

McKay's Glades:
IMG_7805.JPG

I skied 7 runs total on Conquest and one more on the quad before leaving West.

Andrew's friends picked him up from East and brought him back by 3:30. I skied back to East via Sawmill Canyon. The slopes into Sawmill from West face east, and by late afternoon had acquired a thin crust over the powder. It was still mostly untracked and manageable depite being on the Recons, not my powder skis. And I managed to find a last short stash of north facing powder.
IMG_7807.JPG

Andrew and I skied one more cruiser at East before it closed at 4PM. He boarded 17,600 despite spending 3 hours with his friends. I skied 34,300, a personal record for SoCal local skiing.

FYI Garry Klassen was at Baldy this afternoon. Chair 4 is not open as it's too thin. He skied down Nightmare at the end of the day but snow was in the awkward cruddy stage between powder and skier pack and quite heavy at the lower elevation. Snow on Thunder is excellent on the groomed but inconsistent elsewhere. There are intermittent sections of very hard snow that I did not see at Mt. High. I suspect wind as the culprit, but Garry heard a lot of glowing reports from Sunday and thinks that the powder got skied off down to the underlying hard base on some of the steeper terrain.

Samantha developed a limp in her left front leg in November and a lump in her shoulder had been growing since then. Nonetheless she was still getting around well until last Wednesday despite Feb. 11 X-rays showing likely cancer in the shoulder and her lungs. Since Wednesday I needed to carry her up/down the stairs and often room-to-room as well. She did not improve with pain meds and Sunday night she started occasional noisy breathing. She's eating here Sunday, keeping the weight off that left front leg.
IMG_7783.JPG

Many people visited the past few days and we sadly concluded her time had come on Monday. In addition to some of the hiking pics I've posted on FTO, I've scanned many film prints pre-digital to add to a Samantha photo album here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6 ... =879845494

Tony Crocker":ddgia1jx said:
we sadly concluded her time had come on Monday.
Condolences for your loss.

I don't think I've ever seen pix of Mountain High. Terrain appears to be enjoyable enough, in a Catskills way, under decent conditions. That lift line demographic reminds me of lovely Mountain Creek, NJ.

tony in the first picture of you moving over to west your standing in line with some boarders behind you - on the young mans neck dressed in blue with the i-pod do you figure that's a tatoo or was that placed there by a young female.( sorry to hear about samantha ) r.i.p.

Samantha was born June 24, 1996 as noted in the photo gallery. She lived exactly 2 years longer than the average Labrador. But more importantly she never had any of the degenerative joint issues common to larger breeds. She lost explosive running/climbing power by age 12+, but on a graded road she walked 1200 vertical up Mt. Waterman at age 14 years 2 months and was swimming in the ocean at Santa Barbara 2 weeks before that. Her quality of life as a middle aged and older dog was excellent until that last week. From the pics you can see that most of her travels were in the second half of her life. She was probably a bit bored in her younger days, alone in the yard weekdays while everyone was at work or school.

rfarren":otzhx228 said:
I don't think I've ever seen pix of Mountain High. Terrain appears to be enjoyable enough, in a Catskills way, under decent conditions. That lift line demographic reminds me of lovely Mountain Creek, NJ.
There is a stark difference in ambience between the East and West areas at Mt. High. FYI the blue boarder's neck mark was definitely ink of some sort, not natural. But with adequate coverage West has a lot of quiet steeper runs and tree shots. Quiet because West's clientele is mainly interested in the park features. I never set foot on Chisholm, West's busiest run which is a complete $&!#show on the weekends. With only trail skiing open the Catskills comparison is probably accurate. As noted in the other thread by Mike Bernstein, with adequate cover for off-trail skiing it's much better. Even though Mt. High's off-trail does not measure up to Baldy/Waterman's.

Sorry for your loss of Samantha, Tony. Looks like she had a great life with you and some great times you'll always remember.

We were at East yesterday, too. Great conditions and moderate crowds (well, for East anyway). Hope to get up for a few runs today between errands.

Can't believe you ventured over to West. You couldn't pay me to go over there on 2-1 Tuesdays or a weekend. ](*,)

Tony -

I'm sorry for your loss. It's difficult to lose a friend of 16 years. I hope that both you and Samantha can find peace going forward.

As for MH, I pretty much agree with every thing you wrote, with a few small caveats re: Sawmill Canyon. The canyon floor actually runs NNE to SSW and, more importantly, it's highly eroded such that the gullies (6 up high converging into 3 down low) offer multiple aspects to play with based upon sun exposure, wind deposition, and skier traffic. For example, if you were to jump in about halfway down Goldrush and angle yourself towards the top terminal of the Easy Rider lift, you would enjoy about 800 vertical of NNW facing trees. From the bottom of the Discovery chair, it's a similar vertical of NNE facing trees, depending on how disciplined your line selection is. Most skiers tend to get drawn into the gullies b/c of the prevailing fall lines and lack of experience. If you are disciplined enough to remain on top of the ridges between the gullies, you get more quality vertical and progressively fewer tracks as you go down canyon. I would also add that the vast majority of tracks tend to come from East, so much of the terrain off of West is lightly tracked. Moreover, if you are similarly disciplined in your route selection from that side, there are opportunities for lines with >1000' vertical from West, primarily with a NE exposure.

Some of my best turns in SoCal (an admittedly small sample compared to you and others) have been in Sawmill Canyon. The competition for powder is just so much lower there than at Baldy, with no thigh-burning traverses or hitch hiking required on the way back. I'd still take Baldy all things being equal, of course.

Yesterday was the 3rd day after the storm and I presume there was some sun Monday as well as yesterday morning. I needed precise north exposure for the surface to remain powder when I dropped in part way down Discovery. By 3PM everything coming from West had some crust for at least the top 600 vertical. Good point on the fall lines from Goldrush avoiding much of the canyon bottom, but they probably took on sun Monday afternoon based upon what I saw. Those east and west fall lines also work well once it's settled to corn.

I don't mind spending part of my day at West if the runs accessible from Conquest are in good shape, as they were yesterday. Plus I had skied 21K before I even got there and was looking for some more variety. But I agree in principle with snowave and would never go to Mt. High when East is closed.

rfarren":3tnn0iwf said:
Sorry to hear about Samantha. She seemed like a very sweet dog.
She was very sweet, indeed. She had a few behavior problems, but demonstrated a willingness to get past them even in her last few months. She was unfailingly patient with young children and thoughtless caretakers alike. She is sorely missed.

Sorry to hear about your dog. I had a Lab who made it to 11, I believe.

Glad to see you made it back to MH after a long break, IIRC. I was at Snow Valley today and was amazed how well the snow had held up, especially early.

I'm impressed by Mike's depth of knowledge about Sawmill after only being here for a couple of seasons. I have only entered from Goldrush, and in only two seasons - 04/05 and 09/10. I have found some of those more sustained lines, but have also found myself trapped more or less. I recall being worn out in there in early 2005 -- all that heavy, plentiful fresh. I think I just chilled in the trees with my lunch for 20-30 minutes because I had a hard time of it. I'll take Eric's any day in that regard. I might even prefer The Reef at West.

SoCal Rider":3r7jt24a said:
Sorry to hear about your dog. I had a Lab who made it to 11, I believe.
Thanks, Tony and I miss her so much. We were afraid she might leave us earlier than she did. We know we were blessed to have so many years with her and to be able to watch her grow into a grand old gal.

Tony wrote above, "I've scanned many film prints pre-digital to add to a Samantha photo album here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6 ... =879845494." Sorry, guys, that you'll have to belong to or join Facebook to view this album. We know it's not everyone's cup of tea.

kytels":1gfdikzb said:
Tony wrote above, "I've scanned many film prints pre-digital to add to a Samantha photo album here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6 ... =879845494." Sorry, guys, that you'll have to belong to or join Facebook to view this album. We know it's not everyone's cup of tea.

you should have a small link at the bottom of your album to "share with everyone", even those not on Facebook.

snowave":2rrjounm said:
kytels":2rrjounm said:

you should have a small link at the bottom of your album to "share with everyone", even those not on Facebook.

Thanks, I'll see if we can effect that.

At the bottom of Samantha's photo album I now see a message: Share this album with anyone by sending them this public link:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 494&type=3
Does this work?

When setting up the album there was a privacy drop box giving me choices of select people, friends, friends of friends or everyone. I checked "everyone," but I guess that really meant "everyone on Facebook." I am a relatively infrequent user; it just seemed the quickest way to put up a photo album, rather than join/subscribe to another online photo service.

Tony Crocker":2jn9ycc9 said:
At the bottom of Samantha's photo album I now see a message: Share this album with anyone by sending them this public link:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 494&type=3 Does this work?

When setting up the album there was a privacy drop box giving me choices of select people, friends, friends of friends or everyone. I checked "everyone," but I guess that really meant "everyone on Facebook." I am a relatively infrequent user; it just seemed the quickest way to put up a photo album, rather than join/subscribe to another online photo service.

Yes, it works now. We thank you. :)

Back