Breckenridge, 4/4/2011

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Breck is an area I do not know well, 2 days lifetime, the last in 1997. So I looked forward to a new snow day (13 inches) with local guidance. That's not the way it turned out though. Our group started at the Peak 7 base, and upon exiting the Independence chair were informed that the Horseshoe T-bar had just opened. So we got first tracks in Horseshoe Bowl and continued to lap the T-bar until the bowl was well tracked.

As most of you know I'm used to wind from Mammoth, but Breck's wind Monday was unrelenting. This resulted in some of the powder being a bit slabby, but I'm used to that from Mammoth and was on the Jimis which handle that stuff pretty well. The T-Bar had a vicious crosswind much of the way, and on my 3rd ride up I locked boots halfway up, lost my balance and fell off. :oops: This put me exactly out of phase with the rest of our group, and no surprise I never saw them until the end of the day. I skied down, did one more lap, then headed south from top of the T-bar as someone had mentioned skiing Chair 6 next. It turns out the group passed still closed Imperial, found the slow double Chair 6 had a huge line and thus continued on to chair E on Peak 9.

I was perhaps 10 minutes behind, and by the time I got up the T-bar the 5th time the Imperial chair had just opened. On a powder day it was an easy call to take the bird in the hand here. The wind riding Imperial was direct in my face, but unlike the T-bar I could at least bury my face in my jacket. I had 3 quick untracked laps as Imperial's lift line built up very gradually. 4th time up I traversed north into the upper Peak 7 area. The wind was blasting in my face here too, so I dropped in soon on George's Thumb. This was impressive alpine terrain for 1,500 vertical, especially in the fresh snow. By this time it was after noon and I needed a break from the cold as much as from the skiing effort, though the air at the top of Imperial (12,840) is noticeably thinner than the 11,000 at my usual haunts at Mammoth and Snowbird.

At lunch I called Richard, who was in an intermediate group but had seen others eating lunch at the base of Peak 9. I made my way over to Peak 10, but it turns out the advanced groups had been there just before lunch. I took just a couple of runs there as I wanted one more shot at the top and had noted Imperial closes at 2:45PM. I had never considered taking any pictures with the morning wind, but snapped a couple before I went up top this time. View across the lower Peak 8 and 7 areas into the valley.
IMG_8287.JPG

View of Imperial, where it's evident the wind is still howling.
IMG_8288.JPG

I had time for 1 wind drifted run on Too Much off Chair 6 before getting on Imperial for the last time at 2:30. I snuck past the gate for another run on George's Thumb.
IMG_8289.JPG

The wind had covered up nearly all powder tracks from earlier in the day.

View up George's Thumb halfway down.
IMG_8290.JPG

View across to Whale's Tail.
IMG_8292.JPG

Hopefully the traverse to get over there will not be so windy when we return to Breck Thursday.

I skied down to Peak 8 shortly after 3PM, and most people were just arriving there and deciding to call it a day. I skied 22,900 vertical, 8K of powder. The temperatures without wind were probably in the teens up high and 20's at the base. But with the wind there was no spring transition of the new snow even down low despite it being April and Breck's main exposure being east.

So what's your overall view of Breckenridge as a destination visitor? I've never skied there and in the few days I'm in CO every season, I always end up at other mountains.

I guess I am glad that I made the call to ride Vail Pass on Monday. Enough wind to keep the snow cool, but not trying to knock you over either.

If you're in town over the weekend and have your bc gear, I'd be happy to do a tour with the legendary Tony Crocker :mrgreen:

Killclimbz":20mj0ju5 said:
I guess I am glad that I made the call to ride Vail Pass on Monday. Enough wind to keep the snow cool, but not trying to knock you over either.

If you're in town over the weekend and have your bc gear, I'd be happy to do a tour withe the legendary Tony Crocker :mrgreen:

He should jump at the opportunity, as he will need a warm up for the Highlands Bowl in Aspen.

Tony Crocker":2pg6xpo8 said:
Breck is an area I do not know well, 2 days lifetime, the last in 1997.

jamesdeluxe":2pg6xpo8 said:
So what's your overall view of Breckenridge as a destination visitor? I've never skied there and in the few days I'm in CO every season, I always end up at other mountains.

I'm super curious as well. Huge changes since 1997.

They don't call it Breckenfridge for nothing! Though the wind is what keeps south facing imperial bowl and east facing horseshoe bowl and peak 7 much more powdery and/or soft wind sift than most would think.

Trail/terrain hints beyond what you wrote about: I prefer roughly where the map shows "magic carpet" on peak 7, though I totally understand dropping in earlier due to the wind. Hopefully the weather will be conducive to hiking Lake Chutes off Imperial later this week as well. Let's see, E chair has fun stuff and The Burn trees on peak 10 is a lot of fun too. If you ever want a decent pitched & fun groomer try Cimarron (also on peak 10).

The trip organizer has a real estate related job in Kentucky and spends January and April every year in Summit County. The group is ~3/4 advanced skiers and would not be here if there weren't enough "interesting" terrain. Note that with the VR passes none of the 6 days will be at Keystone (2 each at Vail, Breck and A-Basin).

As many of you know Breck has very awkward topography (comparable to Heavenly, Deer Valley or The Canyons) in terms of traffic flow and moving from one place to another. They have installed a bunch of high speeds to mitigate this problem. I would have had a tough time making it back to Imperial without the new Peak 8 Superconnect chair. This type of topography makes for an unpleasant area if it's busy, so no accident our leader avoids Christmas, February and March spring break season.

in terms of terrain Imperial's direct fall line is fairly intermediate, though it was a nice score in fresh tracks. The Peak 7 side of Imperial is my kind of terrain, and in general Colorado doesn't have much of it with that much vertical. I hope to get a shot at Lake Chutes tomorrow, but you never know with weather. I'm sure the E chair area is good, and that's where my group spent most of the late morning powder skiing. I prefer high alpine, but I know that's a matter of personal taste. There are a lot of strong easterners here, and I suspect they were happier in the trees with likely fluffier snow. I agree Peak 10 has the most enjoyable groomers.

EMSC":2s2vxa4n said:
Though the wind is what keeps south facing imperial bowl and east facing horseshoe bowl and peak 7 much more powdery and/or soft wind sift than most would think.
I'm curious to see if that's true tomorrow. I know that's true at Mammoth, but Mammoth is close to 2/3 north facing, with the steeps even more than that. Breck does have the extra 1,800 feet altitude in its favor.

The short answer for James is that the terrain is good, but make the effort to avoid weekends, holidays, etc. Relative to other ski destinations, I think April is when Summit County looks most favorable with its continuing winter level snowfall, good preservation with the altitude, and dropoff in crowds. Average snowfall is under 300 inches and it's very low water content, so there will be years like 2009-10 when the best terrain is not well covered until February. Not an issue this year, as Breck has had the highest percent of normal snowfall in North America during most of the season (183% as of March 31, that's an exceptional number). FYI our trip leader who's here 2 months every year does not think Breck is exaggerating this year's snowfall. I specifically asked him about the disparity vs. Copper (long term averages are similar) and he thinks it's real this season.

killclimbz":2s2vxa4n said:
If you're in town over the weekend and have your bc gear
I will be doing another AT boot test (Black Diamond Method) Friday at A-Basin. I plan to have a very mellow day Saturday (Beaver Creek now likely for that) to give me a decent chance of a successful Sunday at Aspen Highlands.

Back