Breckenridge, 4/7/2011

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
A very nice day in a group led by our trip leader who is in the region 2 months each season. It was mostly sunny with almost no wind, even at top of Imperial. High temps were probably in the upper 30's.

EMSC":1jn1c01b said:
south facing imperial bowl and east facing horseshoe bowl and peak 7 much more powdery and/or soft wind sift than most would think.
Absolutely. It may be a small proportion of Breck's overall acreage, but we spent the entire morning in winter snow conditions with 3 laps each on Horseshoe Bowl and Whale's Tail. The alpine above 11,500 only had melt/freeze if there was at least some south exposure. East seemed as good as north up there. No one was much interested in the Lake Chutes. It's a 10-15 minute hike at nearly 13,000 feet and the steep vertical is relatively short. You get close to 1,500 on the Peak 7 runs and when the conditions there are good the Lake Chutes do not seem worth the effort. A few morning pics, first riding Imperial.
IMG_8338.JPG

View from Whale's Tail.
IMG_8328.JPG

Some skiing on Whale's Tail.
IMG_8331.JPG

IMG_8336.JPG

Second lap we pushed farther out. The lip this skier is about to drop in was slightly softened to almost corn.
IMG_8341.JPG

View from the runout of upper Peak 7 terrain.
IMG_8343.JPG

3rd run on Whale's Tail I stopped halfway down to take cross section pics of people skiing Vertigo.
IMG_8344.JPG

IMG_8345.JPG

Horseshoe Bowl.
IMG_8349.JPG

Boundary Chutes, strangely named as they were a north facing pitch through scattered trees. Maybe there are rock spines in lower snow years.
IMG_8351.JPG

We rolled into lunch at the upper Peak 9 restaurant, which is privately owned and a good value. It will likely be taken over by Vail resorts when its lease expires in 3 years. View of Chair 6 and Imperial from Peak 9.
IMG_8352.JPG

After lunch the lower mountain had softened, so the group went for Peak 10 and a couple of soft partially south facing bump runs. First Dark Rider, which had good spacing and spring snow of pleasing consistency.
IMG_8354.JPG

Mustang was a bit heavier and I ended up out of the mogul line skiing some mank on the lower part.
IMG_8355.JPG

We also skied the gladed north facing Burn while on Peak 10. On the way back to Peak 8 we did one more bump run on Mach 1, which must face directly south. I told the group it was like July 4 skiing at Mammoth.
IMG_8356.JPG

Total for the day was 22,500 vertical. Breck worked well for spring skiing by sticking with winter snow runs in the morning and hitting other areas later after they had softened. There were a few afternoon clouds, and when we finally skied down to the Peak 8 base at 3PM, the snow was not sloppy. If anything it was starting to firm up again. The higher altitude and colder temperatures here make these areas ski much better in spring than the Park City group, which are similar ski areas in terms of terrain mix.

Tony Crocker":tnar581u said:
You get close to 1,500 on the Peak 7 runs and when the conditions there are good the Lake Chutes do not seem worth the effort.

Agree, not all that often worth the effort, but the pitch is true extreme vs merely steep. So I find the effort worth it on occasion (back when I was going to Breck a lot, I'd do them say 2 or 3 times per season).

Tony Crocker":tnar581u said:
Boundary Chutes, strangely named as they were a north facing pitch through scattered trees. Maybe there are rock spines in lower snow years.

A few rocks, but mostly they are just oddly named.

Back