Mammoth, July 2-3, 2011

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
I knew there was a lot more snow that the other 6 Julys I've been at Mammoth, but I was pleasantly surprised by Saturday's conditions. It was very warm; I was skiing in a T-shirt by 9AM and it got into the 70's by late morning. Unlike my midweek June trip when they were catering to the racers, Mammoth groomed and salted the lower runs intensively with the expected big holiday crowd, and repeated the process mid-morning (pic below of mid-morning groomer on World Cup) to hold off the slush.
IMG_9532.JPG

The other big convenience was keeping Stump Alley going so I could park in my usual spot there ~7:40AM.
IMG_9536.JPG

Garry has been in Bishop for a week and skied a few mornings. Last Wednesday he reported about 3 inches new snow up high, and while there was no direct evidence of that, the suncupping from the heat was only at a modest level. Thus we were not confined to skier-packed and mogul runs up top as in previous years this late. I was with Ben and Adam most of the morning, and on our first run up top they ripped up skier's far right of Climax at speeds I would expect 2 months earlier. With Chair 2 open we skied down Dry Creek into the chair 5 area. Ben here in the Dry Creek/Triangle area.
IMG_9523a.jpg

No one else was out here and it was smooth skiing down to the Comeback Trail. So we went back for an encore ~9:30AM even though there was about a 50-foot walk across the dirt to Stump Alley at the end. Adam and Ben were leaving at 11AM to meet people in Bishop for a float on the Owens River, so they wanted to spend the rest of the morning on 23. We hit Wipe Out twice and both Drop Outs.
IMG_9529.JPG

IMG_9531.JPG

Coverage was good enough Saturday to get out to Paranoid 1.
IMG_9527.JPG

Adam broke his poles recently and is skiing without them as he knows someone who can get a deal for new ones at the beginning of next season.

Monument (which Patrick skied with me in 2006) was wide open Saturday, but it's choke point narrowed each day.
IMG_9534.JPG

After Adam and Ben left I ventured into Hangman's.
IMG_9530.JPG

I had to step over the rocks in the choke. As with Philippe's in June, I only venture into this type of exposure in the forgiving spring snow.

When skiing the top runs, the runout through St. Anton to chair 1 remained easy corn cruising all the way to my 12:30 departure. I skied 22,700 for the day, with variety and quality of skiing more typical of early to mid-June of the other seasons I've skied July 4. Another sign of Saturday's quality is that Andrew decided to snowboard all 3 days of the holiday instead of taking Sunday off for a Tuolumne hike. Patrick knows Andrew's opinion was quite the opposite 5 years ago.

july 2nd was slightly busier than normal, that was the first sign of things to come . lines were respectable and moved right along couple of min. really in mineral and little cloud not a big deal , skiing was superb everywhere skied to the base of the tram twice , ended the day with skidog in main chute to the base of alta had to have been 1:45 when we got to the parking lot , still wall to wall coverage in the entire place . (deep cover ) between little cloud and mineral skidog and i did at least 14 runs not including alta at the end , that's skiing at a good pace. july 3rd , flying solo today , crowd was muuch larger today , couple of minerals to warm up , then up baldy for the first trip today 9:30 , skied l.t.d. down patrol gully to the base of mineral chair . back up into upper gad valley couple of runs in their ,right reg still has acouple of clean slots through pucker brush . lines getting longer by this time , i can only move so fast as to stay ahead of the masses , back into mineral up to the summit for a departure to the tram base , skied from tower four , down through macaroni chute (still penne) down silver fox through lower rock chute out on to chips flats , stopped and turned around in complete amazement looking back at where i had just came from(without a doubt the finest quality corn this summer season) very few people have been dropping into peruivan gulch this late season but the few that have , have been taking the same route down so it's shaved free of sun cups . skied out across andersons to evergreen forest kind of diagonal to lower chips from there (not the normal route) no snow at the bottom of lower silver fox , chips was skiing beautiful all man made snow right to where snowbird sets up a volley ball net in summer . tram line was not to large at this point most folks were up on the mtn. by now . had some lunch (kept the receipt to show a ten dollar sale ) showed the ticket window and they gave me a paper ticket to board the next tram for the summit. up baldy again only this time i went down through main chute to a slight hike back to the shoulder to ski a full length keyhole . snowbird made some nice money this past weekend hoping it will influence them to open one more weekend !!!! but if they choose not to ill give them 12.00 dollars and go ski more main chutes . then there's monday that's a completely different animal . looks like nice cover at mammoth hope everyone enjoyed themselves .....

EMSC":u8j8k8rl said:
Tony, did you ever find out what they are using for 'salt'?
In June with the race camps they were manually spreading NaCl out of bags on the courses. I don't know for sure what they spray out of the back of the grooming snowcats. Many years ago I had been told ammonium nitrate.

From BobbyD's report it sounds like the key to Snowbird was skiing July 2 or 3 instead of 4. I think that was true in 2005 also. Regardless of crowds the snow tends to get worse day by day this late, so skiing is usually best on the first day of that last weekend open.

On July 3 Adam and Ben got up early to do some backcountry on Tioga Pass. I'll let Adam tell that story. Andrew and I got up to Chair 2 about 8AM. I ran into Elise, Scott and Danny of the Mammoth Forum by 9AM. I persuaded them to do the Climax/Dry Creek run. Here's far skier's right of Climax.
IMG_9538.JPG

Temps over Saturday night barely got down into the 50's. So there was a bit more suncupping and heavier snow than Saturday. The difference was modest in the outlying areas, but the runs busy on Saturday like left side Climax, Cornice and Wipe Out developed deep moguls and clumps of heavy snow if you strayed out of the skier packed line. So we skied Drop Out 2 and Monument, which had less traffic. View from lower down on Monument.
IMG_9542.JPG

All of us had skied hard on Saturday and got fatigued pushing the heavier snow around on Sunday. We took an early lunch at the Mill at 10:45. Back out at 11:30 we skied another hour on Wipe Out, Drop Out and a couple of race course groomers on Chair 1. I was done with 14,400 vertical and we all decided to meet up at 2PM for a short hike up toward Mammoth Rock.

Whatever passes for a trail got lost in snow patches. Here was an interesting snow bridge on its last legs.
IMG_9553.JPG

Here I am with Scott and Danny closer to Mammoth Rock.
IMG_9556.JPG

We crossed this large snowbank, probably a winter slide path.
IMG_9572.JPG

Tan mound in background is probably mine tailings.

At the base of Mammoth Rock are panoramic views of the Snowcreek area and town,
IMG_9559.JPG

Dave's Run, Chair 9 and Dragon's Back side of the ski area,
IMG_9569.JPG

And the cliff band over Twin Lakes, where the trained eye can spot Hole-in-the-Wall.
IMG_9571.JPG

We did not know there was an abandoned mine tunnel at the base of Mammoth Rock. Scott and I ventured in just a bit.
IMG_9565.JPG

Looking back to the entrance.
IMG_9568.JPG

Elise and Danny stayed at the entrance.
IMG_9564.JPG

On the way down we saw this rusted out stamp mill from the mining.
IMG_9576.JPG

Back