Alaska

q

I tinkered with the idea last year and again this year I find myself being drawn towards the one western state I have yet to ski.

I am contemplating flying up to Alaska from Missoula missing out on Utah or flying up to Alaska and then down to SLC before flying home.

I've read Tony's report about Alyeska but wondered if anyone had any experience of some of the other resorts, the 2 in Fairbanks as well. i would most likely base myself in Anchorage and head to Fairbanks for a day or 2 as well.

Unless I win the lottery it is unlikely that the trip would allow me to heli ski so I am particularly looking for resort information. I fly in and out of Missoula March 16th/April 12th and have my seasons pass for Discovery Basin which closes on April 4th.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Q

Half the modest population of Alaska lives in the Anchorage area. Thus for lift served skiing there's not much worth doing other than Alyeska IMHO. The Anchorage region has a relatively mild climate with strong Pacific ocean influence, while Fairbanks is seriously well-below-zeroF cold in the winter. From what I have read, the best reason to check out Fairbanks in March is for the Northern Lights. Generally best time of year for it, and Fairbanks is squarely in the latitude band where aurora frequency is highest.

Presumably q has read my feature in the Resort section of FTO: http://www.firsttracksonline.com/News/2 ... er-Guides/

My opinion is that for those not heliskiing Alaska is best viewed as a general tourism trip with some skiing rather than a ski dedicated destination. Due to the aforementioned mild climate wildlife/glacier cruises and other alternative activities are still available in the Anchorage/Girdwood/Seward/Whittier areas in March. But I would strongly suggest that any advanced skier taking the trouble to get up there figure out a way to get at least one day in the heli. You won't regret it.

Alaska (like French Polynesia, one of my recent destinations) is an inherently expensive place. IMHO if you can't afford to do it right, there are better alternatives in both cases. In the case of skiing, I suggest you point your car north from Montana where there are numerous attractive ski options, many of them offering great value in skiing for what you're spending.

Back