Alta 1/19/16

jkamien

Bluebird powder day! Boot top or better, everywhere you went. I skied with Tony, the grain farmer from Indiana that I met during yesterday's workshop.

Several off of Supreme. The skiing was phenomenal, especially in the trees. A local on my first chair ride speculated Ballroom would open around 11:30. A check of the sign at the top of Sugarloaf at 11:45 revealed that it was still listed as Closed, so we hopped on the East Baldy Traverse and headed back to the top of Collins. Sure enough, only a couple dozen were queued up to wait, so we joined them. After about 10 min, several people lost patience. About 10 min later, we were 19th and 20th through the gate. The untracked that followed, along with more in the trees below Ballroom were the highlight of the day.

It looks like today, my birthday, may not be the big powder day I was expecting, based on yesterday's forecast and the heavy snow as I went to bed. The Alta Snow Report shows only an inch this morning. Currently the wind is howling and saying whether snow is falling or just blowing is difficult.

But, regardless, this has so far been my best Alta trip. Happy 56th Birthday to Me!

A collage of photos from yesterday are here:
https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.kamie ... 6387903391

Jonathan
Jkamien@biopsych.com

Back