Alta, UT 12/18/2011

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 14: Back to the same ol', same ol'.

After yesterday's tease I was in no mood to return to the man-made groomers, but that was pretty much the order of the day. The snow that was tracked up on Backside yesterday stiffened up overnight. So did virtually anything off-piste. I split by 11:45 a.m.

The one photo from today is of the inversion junk stuck over the Salt Lake Valley:

IMG_1564.JPG

We need a good storm not only to bring us new snow, but also to blow this crap out of here.

Hopefully the Wednesday-Thursday storm delivers. I'll be out there Thursday night. No Alta for me this trip (fiancee is a boarder).

socal":10hbkmwk said:
No Alta for me this trip (fiancee is a boarder).
That's tough. Alta is by far the preferred spot in low tide conditions. I was there for Christmas week 1986-87 when Alta had a 12 inch December (9 inches so far this December).

Walked into Goldminer's just a few minutes before Admin left. The sun shone brightly and temps rose a bit during the afternoon so much of the "crunchies" eased up a bit. Nevertheless, we need SNOW! Driving back down into the valley was like diving into a muddy pond at around 6500 feet. We need SNOW and WIND!

jamesdeluxe":2evcm90k said:
Admin":2evcm90k said:
return to the man-made groomers
Jitterbug --> Gunsight --> Eagle's Nest

Do I have to draw you a map? :lol:

Ha! With Backside open you can now get there without the hike, and we did. As mentioned, however, the snow stiffened up.

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk

Admin":3ju1kort said:
jamesdeluxe":3ju1kort said:
Admin":3ju1kort said:
With Backside open you can now get there without the hike, and we did.
I'm Alta-challenged -- is Backside to the looker's right of the Sugarloaf lift?

Yes.
East Greeley on the official Alta map. Technically it should probably be called East Rustler. It's the "back side" of the ridge to your left when riding the Collins lift.

Back