Alta, UT 4/1/12

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 56: Dust on crust.

Or, more accurately, dust on concrete. Another storm fizzled out. Originally predicted earlier in the week to bring several feet of snow, we'll be lucky if this system delivers five inches. And while it was originally predicted to start last night it didn't get underway until shortly before opening this morning.

Remember yesterday's report? It was in the low 50s at the base and 40 on top under a searing sun. Today it was in the teens on top and 20s at the base, so everything wet from this week's warmth froze up solid, and the inch or two that fell this morning did little to soften the subsurface. It was a groomer day. I ventured off once on Supreme and quickly put my tail between my legs and scurried back to the groomer.

By 2 p.m. I gave up and went home. Is it too much to ask to be pleasantly surprised by a storm at least once this season?

As I drove down the canyon I spotted this:

2012-04-01 14.06.15.jpg

"Racing stripes." On a Toyota Prius. Seriously?? They stretched from the front bumper, across the hood and roof to the rear "spoiler."

Ha! Yeah, I noticed the seats when I passed him on Wasatch.

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk

Took note of both yesterday's high temps and last night's low temps and didn't bother to head up for day 98. Hope we get some real snow this week so I can make the 100 days mark.

Admin":1ixkx6nu said:
"Racing stripes." On a Toyota Prius. Seriously?? They stretched from the front bumper, across the hood and roof to the rear "spoiler."

By the looks of his personalized plate his wishful thinking isn't limited to his car (although "Altasno" won't look so oxymoronic next season, hopefully, and truth be told Alta's snowfall even in this tough season has been better than at a lot of other areas.)

baldyskier":2xdvn5hz said:
truth be told Alta's snowfall even in this tough season has been better than at a lot of other areas
True. South of 42 degrees latitude Alta trails only Wolf Creek this season.

Admin":qf7sx9nz said:
Day 56: Dust on crust.

Or, more accurately, dust on concrete. Another storm fizzled out. Originally predicted earlier in the week to bring several feet of snow, we'll be lucky if this system delivers five inches. And while it was originally predicted to start last night it didn't get underway until shortly before opening this morning.

I'm surprised you even bothered. I mean, some days it just isn't worth chewing through the restraints!

just about ditto for snowbasin on sunday !!! albeit snowbasin is lower by 1,500 feet at the base so the frozen corn was not so bullet proof as up canyon , and certainly not nearly as tracked under what little new there was . the place was deserted and i mean deserted . the base area over towards the hand in no name area was almost void of any snow traveling out from no name area via any lower run outs is probably not possible unless one is very confident of their route !!!!!!! strawberry area was probably the worst i've skied out there in five years --- but as a whole the ski area still has decent cover , the south aspects have some sun weathering on them i.e. shrubbery poking through , to me that only adds to the experience ! :wink: THE PLACE IS STILL A GRAND PLACE TO ME AND WHEN YOU CAPTURE THE PLACE ALONE IT'S EVEN BIGGER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back