AltaBird, UT 6/25/11

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 100: The big fat century mark, baby!

14 alta champagne toast 110625.jpg

Honestly, this means more to me than a birthday. It's my first time ever hitting 100 ski days in a season, and quite possibly the last until I'm 65. I met up with Bobby Danger and Skidog at 8:00, although Bobby was one tram ahead of the rest of us. Turns out that Marc_C, Dale, Pat and Amy were there, too, but I never saw them. Beautiful blue skies, temperatures in the 50s, no wind and a hot sun. Although a bunch of snow was lost during the week there's more snow than I've ever seen at Snowbird at the end of June.

01 snowbird tram dock 110625.jpg

02 snowbird daltons 110625.jpg

03 snowbird peruvian cirque 110625.jpg

04 snowbird north chute 110625.jpg

05 snowbird great scott jaws 110625.jpg

All of Peruvian Gulch and everything in Gad Valley below Little Cloud is now designated as backcountry. Your season pass or lift ticket now get you one upload on the Tram. If you want another Tram lap it'll cost you $10 or a receipt showing $10 or more purchased in a Snowbird food service facility. No biggie, the best skiing is up high right now anyway.

And surprisingly there was a refreeze overnight despite the warm weather. It'll hit 88ºF in Salt Lake City today and yesterday's high was 87.3ºF at my house -- trust me, I know because my swamp cooler isn't working and the tech can't come before Tuesday. There's still a lot of thermal mass to that snowpack and with clear, dry air overnight that heat just radiates into the atmosphere, allowing it to freeze overnight.

Our first run together was down Chamonix 1, which was smooth and softened to perfection.

06 snowbird hidden peak 110625.jpg

07 snowbird living the dream 110625.jpg

We mixed things up a bit, alternating between riding MBE to ski Toad Hill, the Bookends and Mineral Chutes (the latter easily being the best turns of the day, skied up but not bumped up) and riding Little Cloud once the front side softened a bit more.

08 snowbird bookends 110625.jpg

10 snowbird mark malou 110625.jpg

11 snowbird rasta chutes pipeline bowl 110625.jpg

12 snowbird bottom little cloud 110625.jpg

Here's that same spot on July 4th in 2005:
file.php

13 snowbird mbe 110625.jpg

At the end of Road to Provo we bumped into friend Craig Gordon of the Utah Avalanche Center, who really made my 100 days feel insignificant.

09 snowbird bobbyd craig 110625.jpg

Craig has missed 6 days of skiing since October 29, 2010. :shock: I'll save you the counting: that's 240 days thus far this season alone. In fact, Craig hasn't missed a month of skiing in 21 years. :shock: :shock:

For our last run together we hiked to the High Baldy Traverse and headed out to the top of Armpit for our bottle of champagne. No one else had been out there yet today and the traverse has completely disappeared, as has the bootpack. This was, however, the perfect spot for the occasion, right on the ridgeline separating Snowbird and Alta with views into both.

15 alta collins gulch 110625.jpg

14a alta admin opening champagne.jpg

14b alta pouring champagne 110625.jpg

We skied Armpit, again softened to perfection before traversing back to the ridgeline to return to Snowbird via a full-length Keyhole from the Doorknob gate, or at least where the Doorknob gate sits when it's actually there. Unbelievable that we could ski Keyhole proper on the last week of June!

Bobby headed down to the Plaza for a bite to eat before heading back up, while Skidog and I called it a day at 11 as the snow was getting very soft. As I unbuckled my boots, however, I found the snow against the green leaves to be a beautiful juxtaposition.

16 snowbird leaves snow 110625.jpg

On my way down canyon I stopped for a bit to enjoy too the raging waters of Little Cottonwood Creek, now running full-tilt with the runoff.

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/25599386[/vimeo]

18 lcc great white icicle 110625.jpg

If you're looking for action photos from today, Ansel Adams had his camera again today and took a few. I'm sure that one or two will likely end up added to this thread tonight.

Looks like my season will likely end at 101 days as I'm unlikely to get up there again before next Monday, July 4th. There is, however, a rumor that Snowbird may extend again until July 24th, which is a Utah state holiday known as Pioneer Day. If they do this will be their longest ski season ever.

Nice job, Admin... congrats! =D>

I had over 100 in 97/98 when I was at Copper... probably won't ever get that again. Might have a shot at getting 100 days of eating bacon though. \:D/

Admin":3milo3y4 said:
Day 100: The big fat century mark, baby!

Honestly, this means more to me than a birthday. It's my first time ever hitting 100 ski days in a season, and quite possibly the last until I'm 65.

What??? Are you planning to move back for Florida for 20 years??? :stir: :wink:

Craig has missed 6 days of skiing since October 29, 2010. :shock: I'll save you the counting: that's 240 days thus far this season alone. In fact, Craig hasn't missed a month of skiing in 21 years. :shock: :shock:

Isn't that Ice's buddy? I might be mistaken.

Looks like my season will likely end at 101 days as I'm unlikely to get up there again before next Monday, July 4th. There is, however, a rumor that Snowbird may extend again until July 24th, which is a Utah state holiday known as Pioneer Day. If they do this will be their longest ski season ever.

Never say it's over until the overweight lady sings. :mrgreen:

All the best Marc and congrats for this milestone. I know a few people here that reach the 100 by March, but they don't get to ski Utah all year. Congrats once again. =D> =D> =D> =D>

Patrick":28ounp77 said:
Admin":28ounp77 said:

Isn't that Ice's buddy?

Yep.

Patrick":28ounp77 said:
All the best Marc and congrats for this milestone.

Thanks!

admin":z5oi9x2j said:
Have you ever opened a bottle of champagne at 10,000 feet?
Top of Highboy on Alta closing May 1. Probably another one coming at top of Mammoth next weekend. Congratulations on the milestone! My record day count this year, most likely to end up at 69, is a run-of-the-mill total for admin since he moved to Utah.

Congrats, Marc! Very good to see you and Bobby D having a great time skiing still.....only one more week and Abby and I will be back to SLC. We arrive in SLC around 1pm on July 4.....hope I can make last tram for the day!

mrgskier":8wzocost said:
only one more week and Abby and I will be back to SLC. We arrive in SLC around 1pm on July 4.....hope I can make last tram for the day!

I look forward to seeing you guys next weekend! We'll have to get together for dinner or drinks (or fireworks) as well!

day 90...... summer skiing....... started out crunchy and cold suprisingly !!! just a few more pictures to add from today ' i skied till 1:45 then headed down peruivan gulch to the truck - taking pictures all the way - still wished snowbird offered skiing to the bottom all day one trip kind of deflates the scene but it's what it is !!!!!! no issues to the bottom - lower chips actually skied really nice enough of the natural snow has melted at the very bottom that the man made snow is beginning to mix on the surface again THE VERY BOTTOM .
IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 3,813
mrgskier":12izvpuz said:
Congrats, Marc! Very good to see you and Bobby D having a great time skiing still.....only one more week and Abby and I will be back to SLC. We arrive in SLC around 1pm on July 4.....hope I can make last tram for the day!
Last ski tram is at 2p, so it'll be pretty damned tight. Theoretically possible, but I'd not bet on it.

Yes, definitely get together for dinner and maybe a hike or something.

Marc_C":4gl96m7n said:
mrgskier":4gl96m7n said:
We arrive in SLC around 1pm on July 4.....hope I can make last tram for the day!
Last ski tram is at 2p, so it'll be pretty damned tight.

I somehow missed the 1pm arrival part! That doesn't look promising at all.

Congratulations Marc.

The 65 retirement age will have gone the way of defined benefits retirement plans in 20 years.

Therefore it is logical to forgo part of your income and ski 100 days a winter now.

jamesdeluxe":tdg0nhhm said:
Have any of the other EC expats hit 100?

I only managed 65 this year due to heart surgery in Sep, a two month trip to the EC for the birth of my grandson during November-December, and a month-long cruise from Tahiti to Ft. Lauderdale in April. But I did manage to clock 115 days for the 2009-2010 season. I'm hoping to get close to that again in 2011-2012. Congrats Admin. That is a pretty fantastic total for a working man! =D> BTW,your TR's have been terrific.

tirolerpeter":3humaqct said:
That is a pretty fantastic total for a working man!

I agree whole heartedly with that. I used to feel lucky to get upper 50's while working (pre-kid). Hell of a season for you Marc. =D>

EMSC":665w6l4l said:
tirolerpeter":665w6l4l said:
That is a pretty fantastic total for a working man!

I agree whole heartedly with that. I used to feel lucky to get upper 50's while working (pre-kid). Hell of a season for you Marc. =D>

I appreciate it guys!

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk

Back