Aspen Highlands 1/11/14--2 Bowl Laps on Day 1

Staley

Due to flight cancellations, delays, and diversions, I finally reached Aspen around 11:15 last night. Then I waited 45 minutes for them to unload our bags from the bus (flight was diverted to Grand Junction), but my ski bag was nowhere to be found. It took at least an hour to file a lost baggage claim, so as a result I got about 5 hours of sleep and had to get skis in the morning before skiing.

I ended up demoing Atomic Automatics, which I like less than my normal Moment Bibby Pros, but were good for the conditions. I met a friendly local on the first lift up who showed me around through the trees down to the Deep Temerity lift. I have no idea what run we took (or if it was even a named run), but there was about 5 inches of snow on top of a fairly soft base. It's great terrain over there: nice steep, long runs. I took another run on Deep Temerity and then started lapping cruisers on the Loge Peak lift waiting for Highlands Bowl to open. The wind had clearly increased the avalanche hazard, and it took until about 10:30am to open the bowl.

I timed the opening really well but didn't know the procedure so I missed out on the first snowcat. Instead, I was one of the first people to begin the hike from the bottom. I made pretty good time on the hike but definitely felt my lack of sleep and acclimatization. I passed a few people, got passed by others (particularly people who had packs to carry their skis--I didn't), and was probably about the 15th person to get to the top. I didn't time it, but I'd guess it took me a bit under 25 minutes.

Much of the bowl was wind affected, but I ended up getting the first non-patrol line down White Kitchen or Steep and Deep (I'm not sure which one) and skied foot-deep untracked pow all the way down. Probably one of the best runs I've ever had, so I immediately headed back for a second lap. This one really killed me and and after skiing a choppy G-2 (the hordes descended after my first run), I was completely exhausted and took a long lunch break. The second lap was probably one too many and I had no energy all afternoon, so I stuck to mostly groomers and low-angle moguls.

I'm definitely a big fan of Highlands. It was incredibly uncrowded for a bluebird powder Saturday, was easy to navigate, and has some legitimately great terrain. The steeps have longer fall lines than at Mammoth.

Tomorrow will be Ajax as I have a flight in the afternoon and logistics-wise, Ajax is the easiest for that. However, there is 4-8 inches of snow expected during the day tomorrow, so I'm hopeful my flight will get cancelled and I'll be able to ski another day on Monday (which will likely also be Ajax for the convenience)!

10:30 am is a very normal bowl opening time after some new snowfall.

It took you 25 minutes from the snowcat pick up or drop off place? 25 minute is very fast from the drop off point, but I would say impossible from the pick up point to where you dropped in.

I love Highlands, but hate the bowl.

25 minutes from the pick up point. I probably dropped in 3-5 minutes from the top, so I think it's reasonable. There was a decent lineup of in-shape locals all gunning for the powder and I only got passed by maybe 4 people, so I'm guessing I was hiking fairly quickly.

Why the Bowl hate? I haven't had many better runs in my life, and I'm guessing what I skied is a fairly frequent occurrence if you're able to move quickly on the hike.

Staley's physiology is obviously an outlier. Arriving from sea level with ONE night of short sleep, then hiking Highlands Bowl at a 25-minute local's pace TWICE. Most of of us would be like Adam on July 3, 2011 at Tioga, puking our guts out and perhaps wrecking another day or two of the trip to recover.

Highlands Bowl is a big place. I don't think you need to race up the hill to get some powder. My hike last week was at the end of the day and there was plenty of untracked in the same area Staley skied. Unfortunately it was wind-hammered that day. The other time I was there in April 2011 the hike was midday and there was plenty of powder in whatever G run through the trees I skied.

Not sure I see the hate on the Bowl either. Opening the bowl resulted in building the Temerity lift to get people out of there. As noted Temerity is one of the longest sustained lift served steep terrain pods anywhere. And given the typical Colorado pattern of modest snowfalls, the hike-to bowl allows deeper powder to accumulate from a series of small storms.

That's a very impressive hiking time. For the Inferno race the best participants were running about the 30 minute mark. Start at about the snowcat drop off point, hike to the summit, ski down G8 and end on Bear Hollow Road.

I don't like the bowl because I don't like to hike for turns. Also, when you remove the skis from my feet I don't like the drop offs.

Back