Aspen Mountain 1/12/14 -- Deserted Storm Day

Staley

A couple inches of snow were expected last night, but I awoke this morning to nothing and the sun peeking through the clouds. Nevertheless, it started dumping around 8am and the gondola was on wind hold when the lifts opened. I had to take 3 lifts before reaching any skiing as a result, and groomers were the call first thing as only about 2 inches had fallen.

I later headed back to the condo to grab an extra layer and lucked out as the Gondola opened right when I got down to it. However, it was running really slow and it probably took 25 minutes to get to the top. Despite the poor visibility, I was able to see that the Back of Bell runs were collecting the most snow, so I headed over there next. I found maybe 5-6 inches of snow, not enough to cover the bumps on the main runs, but still a lot of fun, especially in the well-spaced trees between the cut runs.

Next run, I tried to return to Bell but got lost and ended up on Gents Ridge. Once there, I took it all the way to the rope line and skied Jackpot, which was nice but had more obstacles and not as much snow as the Back of Bell.

After lunch, it continued to snow pretty hard and I tried out the Zaugg Dump area, the Face of Bell, and more Back of Bell. All were good and fairly similar, probably 6-8 inches of snow in the troughs of the bumps. As noted before, the bumps are very well shaped here, so even though I normally try to avoid bumps, they are a lot of fun on Aspen Mountain, particularly in powdery conditions.

One thing that amazed me was the total lack of crowds. I set the traverse to the Back of Bell more than an hour after the lifts opened. At 1:15pm, there was maybe 1 person for every 15 chairs on Ajax Express, which I'm assuming is one of the most popular lifts. All afternoon, it was the norm for me to be the only person in the entire lift maze area. It was kind of strange, really, but I'm not complaining.

The best news of the day may be that my flight was cancelled, so I'll be skiing Aspen Mountain again tomorrow until about 2pm.

Staley":3hjyw30t said:
As noted before, the bumps are very well shaped here, so even though I normally try to avoid bumps, they are a lot of fun on Aspen Mountain, particularly in powdery conditions.
Aspen was the first western area I ever skied. Coming from the Northeast, I detested bumps, thanks to their typically ragged shape, dirt and rocks in the troughs, and a consistency that often resembles granite. At Aspen I discovered the joy of the powder bump.

Disclaimer: I didn't really learn how to ski them until moving to the Wasatch, and even with that, I'm hardly elegant and never take anything resembling the zipper line. As Warren Miller says, we are born with a finite number of turns in us - all bumps do (esp the NE variety) is use up that allotment faster. Besides, I really kind of like my knees and lower back, and when you think about it, bumps are probably the furthest thing from natural snow cover that exists.

Not necessarily related to just this post, but I can't recall ever seeing so many Colorado posts by others on FTO in such a short span...

And just to :stir: :snowball fight: sounds like surface conditions still beat out Utah lately ;)

Then again looks like everyone gets to dry out for way too long starting in a day or two.

EMSC":3t1wucam said:
And just to :stir: :snowball fight: sounds like surface conditions still beat out Utah lately ;)
Yeah, looks like surface conditions at Alta just sucked yesterday....
20140112a.jpg

Marc_C":3m1x61vi said:
According to sources, Admin spent the day drinking mulled wine and admiring the white tablecloths at the Rustler Lodge.

Marc_C":2hbt9zta said:

Yep, gotta love getting one good surface day every several weeks:

Admin on Jan 10":2hbt9zta said:
Day 29: Mother Nature had the last laugh.

Admin on Jan 11":2hbt9zta said:
snip: Hamburger Hill had thick wind-slabbed snow... snip:what we found on Greeley Hill was a disappointing untracked combination of wind slab from Friday's howl and a slight rime crust...
snip: was rife with thick, deep, crusted snow - more of what we weren't looking for, etc.. etc...

:snowball fight:

Admin is really picky. I was in town skiing Fri-Sun, it was a nice weekend with above average conditions or better each day. Friday was disappointing but only because the expectations were so high.

I'll throw a quick write up together and post it.

Through the holiday period I think the conditions we had in Aspen were better than anywhere in Utah other than Alta, where they seemed similar based upon reports.

But around Jan. 7 or so, the historic pattern reemerged, with LCC getting 2-3X as much new snow as most places in Colorado. So that's when we decided to relocate.

MarcC":gg4n71di said:
Aspen was the first western area I ever skied.
Aspen was the first area out of California I ever skied. Just to show that luck is often wasted on those who can't appreciate it, there were 55 inches of new snow that week, but at my then level of experience I was retreating to the groomers by lunchtime every day of that trip.

Tony Crocker":2uabu7hf said:
Through the holiday period I think the conditions we had in Aspen were better than anywhere in Utah other than Alta, where they seemed similar based upon reports.

But around Jan. 7 or so, the historic pattern reemerged, with LCC getting 2-3X as much new snow as most places in Colorado. So that's when we decided to relocate.

Perhaps for the Aspen areas. I note Breck is one example at 44" in 6 days right now with it still snowing so not exactly just localized to Utah for good snow recently.

I just reviewed ski areas systematically for the first half of January. Northern and Central Colorado have an excellent run with almost all areas getting 4 feet or so. Unfortunately Breckenridge must be taken with a large grain of salt as its new reporting site since 2011 is in a cherry picked location.

The first half of January has been similar (4+ feet) over much of the West: PNW finally, western Canada, US Northern Rockies and Utah. Only California and the Southwest have missed out during this time. The weather guys say most of the West is going to be dry for the next week or so, though.

Tony Crocker":adyw3pqg said:
The first half of January has been similar (4+ feet) over much of the West: PNW finally, western Canada, US Northern Rockies and Utah. Only California and the Southwest have missed out during this time. The weather guys say most of the West is going to be dry for the next week or so, though.

OK. I'll throw Copper out there at 63" in Jan so far vs Alta at 47.5" in Jan. I wasn't trying to be too specific in that way. I'm just pointing out that much of Colo has, at the minimum, kept it's great snow going as well as anyone in recent weeks and dispel the notion that any other state is somehow suddenly better in surface conditions.

Back