Auron, France, Feb. 3, 2023

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Once we decided to ski the southern French Alps, Liz expressed interest in visiting Monaco for a weekend. The drive from Briancon is about 5 hours and I wanted to get in a ski day on the way. James had spent a whole week skiing from Nice in 2018 and recommended Auron.

We have taken many excursions in our Alps travels, but this one was by far the toughest driving, less than half an hour on multilane highways. We drove 6 hours from Montgenevre to St. Etienne de Tinee Thursday, arriving 11PM and only having road food for dinner in this remote region. Fortunately the weather was good and the roads were clean.

Due to the accessibility, probably 95% of the skiers are local, from Nice, Marseille and the Mediterranean environs. It’s sort of like nearly all of Brundage/Tamarack skiers being from the Boise area.

Friday morning we drove up the hill to Auron and parked in its village, finding breakfast at this boulangerie.

IMG_8220.JPG

You know you’re in old school France when:

Almost no one speaks English.

The boulangerie doesn’t take credit cards.

The proprietor is outside taking a smoking break.

Liz enjoying her breakfast:

IMG_0468.JPG

While there is a ticket office in this plaza, a short tram takes you across a deep ravine to the base of the ski area. View across that ravine to town late in the day:

IMG_8248.JPG

You can drive up the switchbacks at left and park at the ski area base if you want.

auron_map.jpg

We rode the second Las Donnas tram up higher for our first run.

IMG_8222a.JPG

View down on Ciavalet run:

IMG_0471.JPG

We took the Dome lift to Auron’s backside, which is much more expansive than it looks on the map. The Dome chair faces east while most of the backside faces northwest. Here’s the view south from top of Dome.

IMG_0473.JPG

The horizon line at center distance is the Mediterranean. I believe the Maritime Alps block out northern cold air from Monaco, which is slightly warmer in January than Genoa and the Cinque Terre to the east or Marseille and Barcelona to the west. It was a real contrast to our Venice excursion at the same time in 2017. The average January low temperature in Monaco (44F) is higher than the average January high temperature in Venice.

From same spot, here’s the view NW where we will be skiing.

IMG_0475.JPG

The groomers at Auron were overall in slightly better shape than at comparable elevations at Serre Chevalier, Puy St. Vincent and Montgenevre. Skier density was a bit lower and I’m fairly sure there was zero rain back at Christmas. This warning sign at the top of Roche Taliere was a bit exaggerated IMHO.

IMG_8236a.JPG

There were a few “floater rocks,” easily avoided.

The run from Dome was about 1,700 vertical and we took two more laps on the ~1,000 vertical Butieres chair. This eagle sculpture is at the top of Butieres.

IMG_8247.JPG

We thought we would return to base via the Croix and Puy runs, but Puy was burned off so we ended up at Lieuson. Above Lieuson is a view down to St. Etienne de Tinee and a huge landslide scar on the opposing mountain.

IMG_8241.JPG

We skied Baisse down to the Haute Plane lift. The topof Haute Plane had the obligatoy French ski area sign.
IMG_0482.JPG

The only ungroomed snow we skied all day was this sheltered patch under Haute Plane, maybe 200 vertical.

IMG_0484.JPG

Then we ran another backside lap on Fournet. Overview of Auron’s front side from the top of Butieres:

IMG_0488.JPG

We skied Champ Roulon to the base and rode the slow Pres chair. There is some interesting off piste visible near the Dome lift.

IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

We were not tempted as that snow is probably a month old.

We took a Frasse Olympique run from the top Arbis chair and finished with a long Columbier/Blainon run along the eastern boundary.

We skied 21,500 vertical. After Friday’s skiing it was another 2+ hours drive to Monaco.

You know you’re in old school France when: Almost no one speaks English. The boulangerie doesn’t take credit cards. The proprietor is outside taking a smoking break.
I think I mentioned when you asked in Serre Chevalier that Auron has a surprisingly authentic French atmosphere even though it's less than 90 minutes from Nice. In fact, four out of the five stops on my Maritime Alps road trip (Auron, Roubion, Valberg, Val d'Allos) were like that. Only Isola's purpose-built base had the industrial feel of mega resorts a few hours north; however, the skiing itself was top-shelf.

I often think of Auron as the best resort in the Alps that no one (at least here in the UK) has ever heard of. I can guarantee that 95% of keen skiers won't have. Weird, because as James and Tony confirm, it's a good, varied and not inconsiderable area only a short hop from a major airport.

Tony, your observations about Monaco's climate are on the mark. The protection afforded by the mountains, as well as it's position on the coast moderate the temperature range with few extremes. It can snow but it's very rare and it never has heatwaves. I believe the all-time high is in the low 90s whereas not far away in the interior of Provence it would be more like 110-115F.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point by Fraser that the Maritime Alps block continental heat as well as continental cold from Monaco. The US Gulf Coast around Houston/New Orleans is the opposite. It's an overall tropical climate but there is nothing to block winter cold air masses from Canada from pushing that far south occasionally.

I'd guess that most people who fly from the UK to the French Riviera aren't thinking about skiing. And that drive is tough from anywhere else.

That is the route we drove from 5-11PM on Feb. 2 after skiing Montgenevre. The return drive from Monaco to Alpe d'Huez was from noon - 6PM on Feb. 5.

That is the route we drove from 5-11PM on Feb. 2 after skiing Montgenevre. The return drive from Monaco to Alpe d'Huez was from noon - 6PM on Feb. 5.
You two certainly earned a break from skiing but in a perfect world (assuming good conditions) on the way to Auron it would've been great to stop at Val d'Allos/Seignus, the Espace Lumière, then drive through the gorgeous Daluis Gorge and several cliffside villages to Valberg to get more of the Maritime Alps flava. Oh well, that can be saved for a dedicated trip to the region, which is definitely worth it.

map.png

Last edited:
Back