Big Sky, MT 12/4/07

swinster

Just wanted to give everyone a early season report on Big Sky.

Nice coverage and good base depths all the way to base. The bowl below Lone Peak Triple has great coverage and had some patrol induced slides running into it. The tram isnt open yet, but already Big Couliour has enough snow to run it, and it had tracks in it from the Patrol probably. Big Sky has had some nice early season snow to setup a good base for the season. The most recent storms have coated it with ~1 foot of very dense high water content snow that will make a great base and helped cover most of the rocks. Much better start to the year than last year.

Swinster,

Some friends/family looking at doing a mid/late March trip. Any ideas on best places (at reasonable price) to stay? probably 3 couples...

Thanks.

Since I am a local, I havent stayed at Big sky much, I occasionally snap up some of thier late season lodging specials so I dont have to drive back to Bozeman and can spend a night on the slopes.

Cheapest
Stay in Belgrade or Bozeman at one of the dozens of hotels there, should be able to score a room 60-70 a night at some of the budget places. Big downside though, there is a ~50 mile drive to get to the mountain every day via Gallatin Canyon.

Sorta Cheap
Stay at the Whitewater Inn, this is located ~9 miles from the base. it will run ~100-120, but they run a lot of specials especially late season. March will be approaching late season, but if spring breaks are still going at the colleges, dont expect to many deals.

Not Cheap
Stay slopside, I have stayed at the Shoshone Condo Hotel complex before. I have scored a $99 dollar special there in late season. But your best bang for the $ for 3 couples would be to get a 3 bedroom place. I dont know much about those kind a places though.

Big Sky prices can vary wildly based on demand. Mid March through end of March typically has a lot spring breakers up there, so I wouldn't expect wonderful deals then.

If you want to score some great deals go during thier last week of operation, typically early/mid april. Big Sky typically doesnt close becasue of crappy snow, they close because a drop in demand and revenue. Great snow is almost always there up to closing.

Dont overlook Moonlight while your there, great resort and even less crowds than Big Sky

thanks for the post swinster! keep us posted from time to time. i'm sure thier are a number of folks here who like to see what's going on in your neck of the woods. i know i do!

Back