Camera Phones to take Skiing

billski

I need to get a new cell phone. It occurred to me that I might be able to consolidate my gadgets by getting a camera phone. Can anyone comment on how good a camera phone is for trail report photos? I have a habit of losing things, so the fewer gadgets in my pockets the better.

I recognize that quality will not be nearly as good as a "real" digital camera. The question is, how bad/good are the resultant photos?

If you have a recommendation, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

p.s., I searched through the archives and couldn't find any discussions related to this.

My experience has always been that the quality is insufficient, although I'm admittedly very picky. Perhaps others have used phones with better quality cameras than I have, and thus feel differently.

for camera phones, i would definitely recommend a sony ericsson cyber-shot phone. the results of the camera are just as nice as with a digital camera. :)

billski":3n8f87qm said:
I recognize that quality will not be nearly as good as a "real" digital camera. The question is, how bad/good are the resultant photos?
I have yet to see any pictures from a camera phone that I consider acceptable quality. Your tolerances for quality photography of your own photos may be lower than mine, however. But there are some killer deals on older model cameras out there so I would recommend getting a good phone and a good camera instead of a mediocre phone with a camera feature. For example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... C8Junction

Digital camera companies seem to have maxed out quality on entry level models and are in the megapixel race, which have gotten to the point of near irrelevancy. Previous years models seem to be getting dumped as the market has been saturated with high enough quality for long enough.

Back