Downtown SLC Accomodation

q

Hi guys,

This is down more to boredom than actually thinking about booking anything but....

The Motel 6 in Downtown SLC is my usual haunt on my trips to Utah but for whatever reason they are showing up as not having any rooms next winter. It may well be that they have just not made up their mind on the pricing for March/April yet but I thought I would take a look at other options.

I pretty much want something in the downtown area even though it costs more than say Midvale. I like the ease of getting everywhere from downtown including skiing, bars, NBA and such like.

Anyway, cheapest I can find online at present are Econo Lodge(~$60) and Howard Johnson(~$64) and not much else. Anyone else got anything cheaper or similar that they know of in the downtown are(Motel 6 $49 is 600S so not that close to centre) as I seem to recall in a thread last winter someone saying you could get rooms for ~$40 but I cant find the thread in a search now.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Q

This is a longshot, but six years ago, my wife and I used the Marriott Downtown, of all places, as our HQ. It was something like $160/night, but included two lift tickets per day to any of the area ski areas (if you wanted to ski Deer Valley, there was a surcharge), a top-shelf breakfast buffet, all the other amenities, etc. -- which, if you do the math, knocked down the per-day price to almost what we would have paid at a two-star joint. I have no clue if they're doing something similar this season, but if you're going during a dead period, you may score something.

For hygenic reasons alone, it sure beat staying in those other joints you mentioned (and over the years, I have [-o<). And not hearing her bitch for five days about staying in a cheapskate motel made it even better.

Edit: I'll be my own spelling Nazi and fix the name of the hotel chain.

Panic over, rooms now available at the Motel 6, $47 and it includes a bed.

Now in an ideal world I'd be able to find a cheap return flight between SLC and Anchorage for a few cheeky days skiing up there on my months trip :lol: :lol:

q":dgfyoxrr said:
Hi guys,

This is down more to boredom ....but....

Q

Yeah, Sept is like that.

National 9 near that Motel 6 also offers cheap rates. The secret--which applies for many SLC motels--is to call the motel directly and ask for their "weekly" rate.

Cheers,
Jeff

Well, I've decided on a change of plan for this coming April.

I could have gotten a room for about $50 a night in my usual Motel 6 in downtown SLC which is a ten minute walk from the action but I've decided to base myself in the Motel 6 in Midvale which I have stayed in before back in 2005. At $28 a night and an easy walk to the TRAX station I can still get to the downtown area easily for a night or two.

Can anyone recommend a few bars that are close to 7200? I see some on google maps but wondered if anyone point me in the right direction with some recommendations.

Thanks,

Q

q":2r3m338s said:
I could have gotten a room for about $50 a night in my usual Motel 6 in downtown SLC which is a ten minute walk from the action but I've decided to base myself in the Motel 6 in Midvale which I have stayed in before back in 2005. At $28 a night
When I lived in Colorado in the mid-80s, the supermarket King Soopers had an in-house cheapskate brand called "Scotch-Buy" with a graphic of a bearded bloke in a kilt.

Good to see Q staying true to his heritage. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As someone pointed out it gives me something like $230 of a saving to spend on beer, fast women and lift tickets :-k

Back