Euro School Holiday Calendar for Upcoming Season

I am already starting to think about a trip next winter 23-24. Does a euro school holiday calendar exist for next winter?

I checked with Fraser and he's not aware of an official calendar for next year at this point. They always cover the same basic periods -- next year's school holidays will likely start on Saturday Feb 3 with the peak period from Feb 10 to March 2. The final holiday week will likely conclude on March 9.

Here’s hoping their season next year is better than this years season. I have an acquaintance who has spent all season in Three Valleys. There was a 5 week stretch without a flake. And that’s after the slow start and new year rain.

Saw this on Snow Brains.

Seems like every country is safe from holiday crowds until February 10, 2023.

The German-speaking countries might be safe most of the winter. Looks like Germany does not have big school breaks in February. Although Switzerland has holidays February 3-March 2 (with a concentration Feb 10-24). However, did this calendar omit Austria? Cannot find it.

Of course, Italy has no big school holidays, hence it's always a decent/good time to go. Although Val Gardena, Courmayeur and Cervinia might get spillover visitors since they are close to borders.

1698429343083.png

I've had that calendar bookmarked for years. That said; there are other European countries to consider depending on your destination region. My late-January road trip through the lesser-known ski areas in the Austrian Salzburgerland linked below was mildly impacted by school holidays in the Czech Republic (noted in the calendar), and Slovakia, Croatia, Slovenia, and Hungary (not noted in the calendar).
Tauplitz, Wurzeralm, Hinterstoder, Planneralm, Riesneralm, Hochkönig, Zwölferhorn

Do you know when Austrian school holidays occur?
The weeks are split according to region so ostensibly they shouldn't have a major impact on ski resorts but that's only an educated guess. Semesterferien is winter holiday; Osterferien is Easter holiday.

1698601632462.png

I also experienced that European ski resort selection by Euros is very national/culturally guided. And rightfully so.

Most Germans/Swiss at St. Anton/Arlberg had never skied in the French Alps. The reverse is also true. (Although I did notice some groups of French at St. Anton to ski off-piste/steeps).

It appears the casual European skier is going to frequent their home mountains.

I have really only seen Americans in significant numbers at Zermatt and Chamonix.

Most Germans/Swiss at St. Anton/Arlberg had never skied in the French Alps.
Anecdotally, I hear much more German at French resorts than vice versa. Also, see the hundreds of TRs on Alpinforum to show that German-speakers love to ski in France. Many of the obscure French areas I've skied were due to those reports/I would've never heard of them otherwise.

Anecdotally I've heard that French tourists prefer to vacation in French speaking areas. Brits and Germans go everywhere.

Anecdotally, I hear much more German at French resorts than vice versa. Also, see the hundreds of TRs on Alpinforum to show that German-speakers love to ski in France. Many of the obscure French areas I've skied were due to those reports/I would've never heard of them otherwise.

I would agree. Many Germans - whom I rode chairlifts with - spoke about the desire to ski in France.

The French - not sure if they would speak to me.

The most irate were the Austrians complaining about the Swiss Zurich-based skiers crossing into Vorarlberg and Tyrol, Austria and inflating prices.

Trying to make sure I understand this holiday schedule correctly. Is Feb 25-Mar 2 in the clear as far as school crowds or should I still be mindful of where to avoid that time of year? Seems like possibly just avoid the French alps but otherwise seems like a light week. Thanks!

If we stay away from France completely (Switzerland,Italy,Austria larger resorts) do you think we will have an issue? Seems based off reading this thread the French seem to stick in France.

If we stay away from France completely (Switzerland,Italy,Austria larger resorts) do you think we will have an issue? Seems based off reading this thread the French seem to stick in France.

Would agree. I skied Switzerland this same week (Andermatt, Arosa-Lenzerheide, Laax, St. Moritz), and there were no lines. The exception was a sunny Sunday after 24" of snow at Andermatt: it is so well-served by rail from Zurich that many day skiers showed up; you simply walk 5 min through a tunnel to the mountain.) Also, I skied at Verbier for four days during early/mid-February, and it was uncrowded - more so than most American resorts.

Also, the French ski resorts set themselves up well for relatively inexpensive family ski trips. There are lots of small, cheap/moderately picked apartments at its mega-resorts. Adequate, but not the American-style condos we are used to. Stayed at one in Chamonix over New Year's in 2004/5 for a week.

Switzerland and Austria have maintained their half-board inn's culture - a lot fewer apartment blocks.

Here's 2024-25:
Euro_Holidays2024-25.png

Easter is late next yer, so Mardi Gras March 4 accounts for that week being high. I don't know why so many Germans are out Feb. 1-8 right before the French an British holidays.

Back