Gressoney / Alagna / Champoluc, Italy (Monterosa Ski): February 1, 2023

ChrisC

Driving from the Southern Alps to Courmayeur, I had the choice of stopping at Pila, La Thuile (Espace San Bernardo), or Gressoney (Monterosa Ski).

The choice should be obvious: Monterosa Ski. It's vast, and varied, and has some of the best off-piste in Europe. However, this year has been a disaster for the interior Alps Swiss/Italian resorts (Zermatt, St. Moritz, Monterosa, etc.) For example, Zermatt's Hohtalli itinerary runs have remained closed for all of 2022/23. And Monterosa reported only a 70cm / 28-inch base at the summit. Just sad and pathetic. A disaster of a ski season for these resorts.

However, I decided a visit to Monterosa could serve as a 'scouting' expedition for a future trip to the off-piste of Alagna. All the pistes were open, but only thanks to extensive snowmaking. Monterosa just opened the famous Indren cable car which provides off-piste access to both Gressoney and Alagna - likely very limited at present. Overall, my expectations were low.

monterosa3.png

I started the day at Gressoney La Trinite and made my way over to Champoluc since the Alagna lifts and Indren tram were on a slight wind delay. The village of Gressoney La Trinite was quite attractive - no French industrial skiing here! It looks like there was a great restaurant at the Punta Jolanda (top of the lift from Gressoney La Trinite). Would like to try sometime. Overall, the scenery is very impressive - even for the Alps. You are surrounded by glaciers and 4000m peaks. Also, crowds were non existent. No one was skiing mid-week.

Gressoney La Trinite
IMG_4337.jpg

Summit of Punta Jolanda
IMG_4341.jpg
IMG_4344.jpg

Skiing conditions were a little slick - not exactly a day for fate skis. You could venture off the piste very carefully to find some wind-pack or remnants of powder.

Colle Bettaforca - Gressoney side. Champoluc is on the other side
IMG_4340.jpg

IMG_4348.jpg
IMG_4354.jpg

A guided group trying to ski off-piste. Decided to try it myself after.
IMG_4361.jpg

Punta Indren peak.
IMG_4368.jpg

Champoluc. The valley is lot more open than either Gressoney or Alagna. Colle Bettaforca - Champlouc side.
IMG_4370.jpg

Lower down the Champoluc Valley. Just above Frachey. Lift Alpe Mandra. Lots of nice Larch trees - should hold lots of powder during normal snow years.
IMG_4466.jpg

IMG_4376.jpg

Champoluc village
IMG_4386.jpg

The valley run to Champoluc skied well and was quite steep in places.
IMG_4392.jpg

Upper elevations of Champoluc.
IMG_4395.jpg

Some semi skiable off-piste on Colle Sarezza. Lots of potential over here with proper snowfall/ski base.
IMG_4401.jpg
IMG_4404.jpg
IMG_4409.jpg

Matterhorn visible from Colle Sarezza
IMG_4430.jpg
IMG_4431.jpg

C6 Piste - view of Champoluc
IMG_4436.jpg

IMG_4442.jpg

The C6 piste. The sides of off the piste should be covered in deep snow - and one of the better freeride zones in Champoluc due to north exposure. Not this year.
IMG_4453.jpg

Ravine between Champoluc and Frachey
IMG_4450.jpg

More Champoluc scenery
IMG_4467.jpg

Colle Bettaforca - Champoluc side
IMG_4474.jpg
IMG_4478.jpg

Monterosa massif from Gressoney
IMG_4487.jpg

Gressoney valley. View to Stafal up to Passo Salati and Punta Indren.
IMG_4491.jpg

I believe these chutes were all filled in when Tony was here in 2018.
IMG_4493.jpg

My phone died recording skiing into Alagna. It was rather unremarkable other than the scenery. And a bit sad looking at all the unusable terrain.

I also managed 2 Indren tram runs - likely Canale dell' Aquila since it is the marked path off the tram. The runs were barely passable at points, but you could see the potential. BTW, the tram closed down after the weekend of Feb 4/5 for another month. Bad year!

Overall, I really liked the authentic village atmosphere of Gressoney and the off-piste potential of Monterosa Ski. Will need to return during a good snow year for freeride skiing.

Just a few resources regarding off-piste skiing (that I did not need to use this year):

Monterosa Freeride Maps

And a very cool heli/backcountry experience

Anyways, even a lackluster day in the Monterosa Ski complex is quite fun. Glad I went here versus Pila.

Note: Monterosa Ski uses a dynamic pricing model for lift tickets. If you can commit, you can save a lot of money bringing inexpensive lift tickets into the dirt cheap category - possibly less than 40 Euros on some dates. Definitely book via the website or app.

Attachments

• IMG_4358.jpg
    IMG_4358.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4372.jpg
    IMG_4372.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4385.jpg
    IMG_4385.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4417.jpg
    IMG_4417.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4426.jpg
    IMG_4426.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4445.jpg
    IMG_4445.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I believe these chutes were all filled in when Tony was here in 2018.
Yes but there was a rain/snow line about 6,000 feet. That's why we never descended to the Champoluc base area.

I've been recommending the Monterosa to James since we were there in 2018. Grosseney is his kind of resort base.

I've been recommending the Monterosa to James since we were there in 2018. Grosseney is his kind of resort base.

Agree.

The road to Gressoney was littered with historic low-key villages with reasonable prices. It was a little unnerving playing chicken on the one-lane roads through the towns. Luckily it's very quiet on weekdays.

Monterosa is really the antithesis of the French industrial ski centers. Prices in Italy in general are also very reasonable. I am looking to return at some point. Maybe combine it with a few days in La Grave (3+ hrs away).

It's been noted and I can see the potential in a normal season. Impressive that ChrisC can post detailed reports six weeks after the fact. If I don't get the observations and impressions written down/typed in within a week, they disappear into the ether.

Back