Gulf of Slides 4-9-06

way2ski

What a great day on the rock pile Sunday! Not a cloud in the sky all day! A group of 4, Becky, John, Pete and me skinned up the Gulf of Slides trail almost from the parking lot.

The GoS was in perfect condition! Two guys from Biddeford had camped out and logged a couple of runs when we arrived. No problem though- there was plenty of untracked to be had and snow was just softening up by noon.

We made 2 runs from the top. Both down Central Gully. By 2pm the Gulf was refreezing about half way up. It was still very edgeable and was just a little unnerving as the surface ice showered down around you in the turns.

On a scale of 10- this was a sweet 8+

Attachments

• GoS ski trail.JPG
    GoS ski trail.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 2,979
  • View Across the Gulf.JPG
    View Across the Gulf.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 2,979
  • Gulf of Slides.JPG
    Gulf of Slides.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 2,986
  • Becky2.JPG
    Becky2.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 2,980
  • Becky.JPG
    Becky.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 2,983
  • John.JPG
    John.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 2,988
  • Pete.JPG
    Pete.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 2,982
afl170: The trail was skiable all the way down, but it was a survival slide on the lower half and you had to have no respect for your skis! I think it's probably still good about 3/4 of the way down by now. I heard there's more snow in Monroe Brook. Here's some more images of the trail.
Cheers!

Attachments

• One unskiable section at bottom.JPG
    One unskiable section at bottom.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 2,713
  • about half way.JPG
    about half way.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 2,704
  • typical snow pack on upper half.JPG
    typical snow pack on upper half.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 2,699
  • trail Wildcat in dist.JPG
    trail Wildcat in dist.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 2,708
  • 3-4 up.JPG
    3-4 up.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 2,707
THanks for the Beta. Chuting for Friday. Hope it holds up to the warm temps at lower elevations.

What a great day on the rock pile Sunday!

Yes, it was! I'm glad you all had a great day over in the Gulf of Slides. We were a mile or two west of you.

How did Pete like his new boots?

Back