Heavenly, CA and NV 3/30-31/22

tseeb

Heavenly, CA and NV 3/30/22

EpicMix says I loaded Gunbarrel at 9:05. Friend driving up from Half Moon Bay got later start than planned and selected Heavenly vs. Kirkwood which he says would only be 5 minutes shorter for him. I was OK with driving 1 mile vs. the 35 (each way) I had the previous two days. High at Heavenly was predicted to be 42 with some winds. I saw 32 at the base of Olympic around 11 so it was cooler than I expected and I was not wearing very warm jacket.

I started out with a lap on Canyon, then a couple on Sky before moving to NV. I found a few places near top and lower on the right side of upper Milky Way Bowl where there was an inch or two of day-old N-facing untracked. I skied to Stagecoach where guy I saw skiing one of the re-frozen ungroomed runs there that he did not recommend said Heavenly had received only about 1/2 of the 3” they’d claimed the previous day. I rode and skied Stagecoach once (Upper North Bowl into Olympic Downhill), then rode Olympic 3x, first skiing Cloud 9, then smooth and still a little firm upper Downhill, then moving to Comet via E-facing ungroomed run that was softening. I skied upper Comet, then used Crossover to repeat lower part of E-facing run. Next I rode Dipper chair 3x, skiing Big Dipper run that was in great shape, then challenging Dipper Bowl, then skiing top of California trail to Tamarack 6-pack.

I rode Tamarack and skied CA trail to ungrowded Sky and skied toward NV at top. I followed a one person hiking track off Skyline Trail that took me to very top entrance to Milky Bowl. Path was further W of my usual route (that needs more snow to be easily passable) that I have not taken for a couple of years. I had to place skis ahead of me a few times to get up or down over rocks and postholed twice then had to squeeze between some Krummholz (stunted, crooked trees at treeline). After more than 20 minutes and eventually diverging from following footprints that may have been going to top of rock outcrop, I made it to very top entrance to Milky Way Bowl where I sat on rock, drank a juice box and had some salted nuts and a small dark chocolate. Snow at top was not as good as expected and it was only about 10 turns before hitting highest traverse tracks. I found more lightly tracked snow lower that skied better.

I skied to and rode Dipper, then returned to CA where I rode Sky, skied Ridge including W-facing at top Ridge Bowl which is burning off, then shady left side of Waterfall where I found some untracked towards bottom. I rode Groove where I felt warmth near the top and skied high entry to left side of Gunbarrel where new snow was lightly tracked. Bumps on Gunbarrel/East Bowl are getting big and you need to be on lookout for rocks. I got to my car about 1:30 and had a long break sitting in chair I’d brought eating sandwich and chips and having drink I’d left there. I napped a little and my friend eventually arrived and we loaded Tram at 2:45. We skied fast groomers on Canyon and Sky 6x, with most rides on Canyon as S-facing top of Sky, even though it starts at near 10K, was deteriorating. On one of the Canyon runs we had a slight collision as we both had speed into narrow left side of rock patch and found more rocks on entry. No crash, I think he just hit the back of my skis and we both stayed up.

We finished day nearly the same as I’d finished my long morning, riding Sky skiing Ridge Run, but skipping Ridge Bowl, to Waterfall where I found and skied more 1-2” untracked along left side. Gunbarrel must allow loading until 4:30 as beside downloaders, there were ski still people riding it up, most likely ‘Face Rats’. In one of the Austria posts, Tony Crocker asked about W-facing that doesn’t soften until noon and the lower CA level of Heavenly qualifies and is often roped off in AM in Spring, but they also have two higher CA levels and two level in NV and a lot of connections in between. Heavenly doesn’t have much E-facing so it can be hard to find soft snow when there is a hard freeze after a warm-up. My watch counted 30.8K.

Added some pictures in post #4 below and a couple more here.
3820GregUnderGBChair.JPG

A couple of pictures of Greg in East Bowl.
3821GregEastBowlAction.JPG

And one looking down East Bowl
3823DownEastBowl.JPG

Last edited:
about W-facing that doesn’t soften until noon and the lower CA level of Heavenly qualifies
I hadn't thought about Heavenly in that regard much. I have 20 lifetime days and only one of them is later than February, and that one was March 14. In February the north facing Nevada side is usually a safe bet, along with the top layer in California. I've usually left Gunbarrel until late in the day though.

I can confirm having worked at Heavenly once upon a time - lower level of CA (eg gun barrel area) takes until at least 11a to soften in the spring if it has frozen overnight. Can of course not soften until as late as 1p even on sunny days if it was truly chilly overnight.

My roommate at the time was a Face Rat and never bothered to arrive until at least noon in the spring.

Adding photos in separate post, but will update title to include 3/31 as we skied there today.

Bottom of Gunbarrel
3805BottomGB.JPG

Middle of Gunbarrel. Run is roped off where snow ends. Gunbarrel 25 must have been held on Face last weekend.
3807MiddleGB.JPG

Clouds over Lake. Picture taken from Ridge Run. I heard Palisades (above tree near center) had poor visibility early.
3809CloudOverLakeFromRidge.JPG

Upper Milky Way Bowl where 1-3" previous day not totally skied out .
3810UpprtMWB@951.JPG

N View in NV from top of hike. The road cut to right of middle is Kingbury Grade. Road was much worse in 60s.
3813NViewFromHike.JPG

View NW from hike. Top of Dipper (Heavenly's highest NV) chair near center and East Peak to right of that.
3816NWViewFromHike.JPG

Top of my hike was just below/left of rock to right of center. Tracks I left looked good the next day.
3818UpperMWBFromDipper.JPG

East Bowl/Face from where I took my extended lunch break. World Cup chair is closed for season.
3819EastBowl2Trams.JPG

From the pics it looks like they make snow on the Face but not Gunbarrel? More likely they gave up on Gunbarrel awhile back.

Heavenly is well leeward of the Sierra Crest so obviously vulnerable to drought years. This year they have had only 190 inches, measured near the top of the mountain. That’s 56%, worse than the 68% I have overall for CA as of 3/31.

The upper mountain, particularly in Nevada, preserves as well as anywhere at Tahoe, though not as well as Mammoth.

They make snow on both, but East Bowl wraps around to N more than Gunbarrel which is steeper and more exposed in places. East Bowl also can be groomed although I'm not sure they have down it this year. The bottom, where World Cup chair is only available to racers, is groomed. No time for an update from Thurs, when I skied Heavenly from 9:30-2:45 for 22.3K vertical. I added some new pictures at https://www.skitalk.com/threads/202...-conditions-meetups.24001/page-77#post-733313

Back