Heavenly, CA and NV 3/7-8/23

tseeb

Tuesday 3/7/23
I should have been there Monday, but was still catching up after getting home from 2 1/2 week ski trip a week earlier. The Carson Spur avalanche zone on my short route to Kirkwood, did not re-open until Tues. at 5 PM after only being open 22 hrs during previous week. Heavenly is far for an early AM trip so I drove up Mon afternoon in 4 1/2 hrs with two short stops. No chain control, but a couple of delays for snow removal and chain control did go on later Monday evening. Heavenly said they would not open highest level in both CA and NV on Mon and not to expect much until 11, but got everthing open, most earlier than predicted, including Mott at 1240. They reported 3” new Mon and 4” Tues when more fell after they measured. My soon to hit 296K Pilot in driveway Tues AM.
6230CabinTuesAM.JPG

I joined line for first (9 AM) tram about 820. Friend who used to often get first chair on Gunbarrel was 2nd in line. He’s moved to tram to take advantage of bench after breaking femur and pelvis when heel pulled out of ski the day after my wife’s crash last Jan. I took a quick lap on Ridge Run into Ridge Bowl before tightening boots.
6231RidgeBowl.JPG
Next time up Sky I went to NV and skied high entrance into Milky Way Bowl. The first couple of turns were deep, but snow quickly became inconsisent, maybe partially due to traverse tracks, but may have been wind-affected as it did not ski that deep. I took a lap on Dipper skiing deep new snow on Dipper Line into Dipper Bowl, where big hard bumps quickly found under new snow so I went to right to find smoother line. Exit track had hardly been set. I did 3-4 minute hike into Nova for some deeper totally untracked.

Next time up I skied across top of Milky Way Bowl coming down between it and ropeline to Killibrew. I went into Mott and got first tracks into the shorter steep lookers left leg of the Y. After me and a snowboarder skied it, all the new snow had sluffed.

6235LookingDownY1.JPG

6236AfterISluffedY.JPG

Next Mott lap, I skied Widowmaker into ridge between it and Snake Eyes. Next time up Mott I exited via NV trail to North Bowl lift finding some untracked on sides of run. I skied deep almost untracked above East Peak Lodge then rode Comet skiing Ariel Woods. I rode Dipper and found very good snow in first treeline to right of Milky Way Bowl and found some great steep untracked in North 40 or Promise Land. I didn’t see sign there but did see signs for new runs something somewhat scatological Chute and Susie’s Saddle and some cliff bands.
6246DownN40.JPG
6247UpN40.JPG

View of Boundary Chutes in Killibrew Canyon from ridge on way to location of previous photos. Maybe I get over there today.
6243BoundaryChutes.JPG
I again exited Mott via Nevada Trail to North Bowl left finding a lot of untracked to right of face above lift base. I skied Upper North Bowl and rode Olympic then skied Firebreak for first time since end of March 2019.
0006Firebreak.JPG
0002LakeFromFirebreak.JPG
It was as good as remembered with lightly tracked powder for most of the over 3K vertical. I thought I’d gotten too low but found nice luge track that did not require any hiking, only a couple of skates, then climb over berm onto exit road. I ate my lunch on gondola that was on windhold early, then opened at 10 and went into too warm lodge at top to refill my water.

I took a warmup on Tamarack, skiing some of California Trail before catching some untracked cutting back toward lift. I exited Nevada to left of California Trail, probably went in too high as there were a lot of windlips and not many linked turns until I was halfway back to CA trail that I crossed at entrance to Maggies Canyon. A snowboarder asked me to show him the way out and I took him over a knoll with about a 50’ steep and deep untracked drop. He said it was best snow of the day. I rode Powder Bowl and Canyon skiing some lightly tracked between High Five and Ridge, then crossed Ridge Bowl and found more good snow to left of Waterfall, skiing some of old chair line. At top of Groove, I skied into Hogsback, finding very good lightly tracked to Roundabout. I dropped off corner into Pistol, crossed Gunbarrel and skied World Cup to bottom about 240.
6258BedroomWindow.JPG

SkiTracks had stopped recording on my gondola run as battery dropped to 1%. I recharged it on the ride to 75%, but not sure how much its 22.5K missed. I also have to question its 10,156 max altitude recorded when top of Monument Peak, higher that any lift, is 10,067. EpicMix counted 16 lifts, but missed 5. When I added those back, I got 23K which seems a little low, but I’ll take it. I shoveled at cabin for 2 hours, mostly roof as I don’t want the 4’ feet of snow on it getting saturated with r--n from warm storm later in week. I knocked the icicles off above bedroom window except the big one which I’ll try to break with a hammer and big screwdriver before it falls on its own and possibly breaks windows. I’m returning to Heavenly Wed and will try to get to Kirkwood, where 10’ new is predicted over next 10 days, on my way home on Thurs.

SkiTracks had stopped recording on my gondola run as battery dropped to 1%
That's the big flaw of using a phone app. Ongoing use of GPS is definitely a battery drainer. Adam has an altimeter Suunto, but when I researched in January the new ones are all GPS based and require frequent battery charging or replacement. I was fortunate to get another Vertech just before we went to the Alps. They are becoming harder to find.

SkiTracks would be a nonstarter at Baldy. The only cell signal is at top of Thunder so the phone gobbles battery charge searching for a signal even when you are not using it for anything else.

At any rate, the 23K vertical may be middling by tseeb's standards but I think we're all envious of the quality of skiing in this TR.

Last edited:
I shoveled at cabin for 2 hours, mostly roof as I don’t want the 4’ feet of snow on it getting saturated with r--n from warm storm later in week. I knocked the icicles off above bedroom window except the big one which I’ll try to break with a hammer and big screwdriver before it falls on its own and possibly breaks windows.
Good call on roof shoveling... I am fully expecting tons of collapses and roof damage to be reported in Cali if the next storm is anywhere near as potent (and warm) as predicted. Usually big icicles/ice dams like that mean that the roof/attic is poorly insulated (or that beam/rafters are allowing/transmitting the heat in or etc...). Heat is leaking out into the attic space somewhere to melt the bottom of the snowpack like that.

the 23K vertical may be middling by tseeb's standards but I think we're all envious of the quality of skiing in this TR.
👍. Concur, this TR is a solidly good ski day at Heavenly.

Thanks @EMSC and @Tony Crocker for your support. Today was another great day even though I was stuck on CA side as Sky never was close to opening. I got in tram line (only 7 pairs of skis were in line ahead of me) at 825. They reported 1" new, probably from yesterday, but it dumped and blew all morning. I had 4 laps on Canyon before it closed (visibility was horrific on top half), then 4 laps on Powder Bowl before crowds drove me to lower mountain. I had a some laps into Hogsback where SW-facing was quickly affected by sun and more laps into East Bowl Woods where I led another senior into it on my last run and he couldn't believe how good it was after 2 PM. Run on the day was going through Hogback gate, then cutting right towards Gunbarrel ropeline where I had two totally untracked entries, then got more good snow above and into the Pistol, skier left of Gunbarrel.

I quit at 220 and again struggled counting vertical. I forgot to turn on SkiTracks until after 2 laps on Canyon. Then EpicMic stopped at 1123 (they say 1223 as they only know Mountain Time). I again had 21 lifts and adding four lifts to SkiTracks gave me 21.6K. I thought it would higher, but probably had 4 Canyons, 4 Powder Bowls and 4 (or maybe more) Grooves which only leaves 9 Gunbarrel/Trams. At cabin, I shoveled around my SUV in driveway, then chipped off the big icicle and shoveled roof and around back door for 2 1/2 hours. Many neighbors also shoveling roofs. I need a shower and not sure when I can add more detail/photos to this.

Skis in tram line at 8:25. It was my first day skiing Blizzard Spurs, 189 cm x 125 mm (on right) that I bought for $175 with Duke bindings. I needed them at Mustang, but bindings had not been adjusted or tested so I didn't take them. Mostly fun enough (and great in chopped) so I didn't swap to smaller skis when at car for early lunch.
6263TramLine@825.JPG

East Bowl Woods/Avalanche Bowl at 11:11. I went deeper and further to right than in Jan. Great coverage, snow.
6265EBW.JPG

Big icicle I chiseled off eave and planted in backyard. I also chiseled off as much as I could along eave.
6279NoIcicles.JPG

That's the big flaw of using a phone app. Ongoing use of GPS is definitely a battery drainer. Adam has an altimeter Suunto, but when I researched in January the new ones are all GPS based and require frequent battery charging or replacement. I was fortunate to get another Vertech just before we went to the Alps. They are becoming harder to find.

SkiTracks would be a nonstarter at Baldy. The only cell signal is at top of Thunder so the phone gobbles battery charge searching for a signal even when you are not using it for anything else.

At any rate, the 23K vertical may be middling by tseeb's standards but I think we're all envious of the quality of skiing in this TR.
I use a Wahoo Roam bike computer for skiing and backpacking. Works fine, as long as the buttons are protected from accidental pressing. I carry the computer inverted in a pouch of my fanny pack atop a microfiber cloth that I use to clean lenses.
Battery life is more than adequate for a full day. I do have to turn off the autopause feature, especially when backpacking, since I'm traveling slowly enough to activate the autopause at times.
I transfer the data to Strava at end of day. The accompanying Wahoo Elemnt app alows for transfer to various other apps. Elevation measurements are sometimes affected by changes in the weather, although Strava will correct them if you select that option.

I finally have time to add a few more pictures and respond to comments above. This was my SUV with snow that fell Wednesday and also drifted against right side from when I parked at 820 and returned for break at 1145.
6270SnowPilot.JPG

This car was on Keller just above entrance to parking lot I use. Must have been a rental. Also saw a Tesla that had crossed road going down steep hill on Keller and appeared to be stuck in snowbank. I could not stop for photo.
6277BuriedCar.JPG

I have often been going to Heavenly and returning to cabin through Tahoe Tyrol to avoid some of Keller. Roads in that neighborhood and ours are only plowed one lane wide so it's hard to go past pedestrians and worse if they are walking dogs and very difficult if you need to get past vehicle going other way especially on hills. Our street.
6253CabinStreet.JPG

Our water turnon/shutoff and one of the drains is under this. It was hard to get out from reaching under there.
6284CabinWaterTurnon.JPG

Cabin when I was leaving. Hope rain and more snow leaves it still standing without any big problems.
6286LeavingCabin.JPG

Neighbors said our cabin since it is not usually occupied/heated had less of an icicle problem that theirs. With any heat inside and 'high' temps during past week or two mostly below freezing big icicles are forming. The back of cabin was added in the early 90s so walls and roof are much better insulated than older front part of cabin. Roof is not steep and there are skylights in both bathrooms that have leaked in past so it's possible that insulation has been damaged. Canopies over a couple of gas stations in South Tahoe already have fallen due to snow load. One started a small fire and the other was a former gas station that had been used for car repair.

I have been carrying small external phone charger that we bought at Disneyland where app required? to show tickets to get in was very hard on our iPhone batteries (both since been replaced). I didn't realize that taking pictures skiing Firebreak took so much of my battery or I would have started charging sooner. From reviewing SkiTracks, I think I rode Tram, Canyon, Groove and Gunbarrel 4x each and Powder Bowl on my 2nd day . Not sure if I changed setting or EpicMix is having problem as it stopped recording lifts at Heavenly that day and did not log any at Kirkwood the next day.

Last edited:
The Safeway at Round Hill, NV (that I use if in the area) re-opened Tuesday "after closing Monday due to structural concerns due to heavy snow load". Both Raley's in South Lake Tahoe, CA are (or were) closed. The one closest to Heavenly Village and Stateline, that is scheduled to close later (lost their lease after 60 years at location) this year was damaged and the one by the Y was closed as a precautionary measure. https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/n...e-after-roof-collapses-near-heavenly-village/ says they were closed "one after the roof collapsed and the other to possibly avoid collapsing." Today's paper says nine buildings red-tagged.

Back