i love 1993

hayduke

2007 was close to the worst year in 20 as seen at snotel. 1992 was similar. so i looked at 1993. wow! it just about tripled 1992. could it happen again? pray to ullr?

Snotel looks at water content of snowpack. It's very low now due to the combination of below average snowfall and the March heat wave reducing the snowpack during a time it's normally still increasing.

For snowfall this season is clearly not as low as 1992, and probably not as low as 2002. 2002 had some similarities to this year. PNW and western Canada were good, California was much better than this year but still below average, Utah was above average instead of below. But Colorado was much worse in 2002 than this year, which is close to average.

The March 2004 heat wave was similar to this year's, but the snowpack was deeper. March 2002 was not this warm, but it was dry in Colorado so the thin snowpack went isothermic and started to lose cover in many areas.

There is absolutely no correlation, either positive or negative, between one season's snowfall and the next.

1993 was much appreciated by skiers because 1992 was third worst in my records (behind 1977 and 1981) and because there had not been an overall above average season since 1984.

Back