interesting

joegm

look a this report from mad river on today's site=

Updated on Friday, January 2, 2009 at 16:30:00

Things are beginning to slowly turn around for us. We picked up several inches of light, fluffy snow over the past couple days and we have a shot for more over the next several days as well. What we need is a decent storm of 6-12" of snow with "some grip to it" if we are to get the big hill going again soon. Until then, the main mountain terrain off of the Single Chair and the Sunnyside Double will remain closed. This weekend we plan to spin the Practice Slope chair and the Handle Tow only beginning at 8:30 AM with skiing on 3 (count 'em 3) trails. After the weekend will be suspending operations from Monday to Thursday (5th to the 8th) if we do not get the snow required to crank up the main mountain. We will re-open the Practice Slope on Friday the 9th. Obviously if we get the snow we need we will re-open sooner for sure. Lets all keep are fingers and toes crossed! Snow making operations have begun once again (really!) on the low elevation, high traffic areas. The main mountain terrain is in pretty rough shape with a glacial, lunar surface with a thin veneer of fluffy powder. Fortunately winter-like weather has returned and should stick around for a while.

now i don't put this up to start up again some east vs west fight or to question anyone's veracity on no bull posts.... i just find this last month of weather volatility in the east to be pretty interesting and the results on the ski surfaces to be even more interesting...i know mad river makes no snow , but when a report like this is up on their site in the month of january, i don't see how any reasonable person can say that current ski conditions are anywhere near what most would define as good or even decent.

i probably do not have enough perspective but can anyone remember mad river glen essentially being closed for the christmas week period ?

another interesting observation i found today is that the loon mtn site actually has listed as it's secondary surface " hardpacked "... i can't ever remember seeing that up anywhere on a resort site

it really is a fascinating , if not maddening, sport... the city of boston is currently covered in snow... it was buried in snow a week ago, in 48 hours it was gone, literally, and now it's back .... yet, in ski country, conditions are, by most credible reports, pretty bad... i skied the monday before christmas in some of the deepest powder i have in the last 2 years....and 2 days later it was as if that snow was never there ....interesting

the amount of comments i have received from co workers like " gee you must be going up skiing this week huh?..." shows me two things, 1) people have no idea what they are talking about, and 2) how ski areas can use perception to manipulate reality to their advantage when they want to....

joegm":xy93vb2k said:
another interesting observation i found today is that the loon mtn site actually has listed as it's secondary surface " hardpacked "... i can't ever remember seeing that up anywhere on a resort site

Honestly, 30 years ago you did. Back then, snow reports will still fairly honest and straightforward. Kudos to folks like Friedman.

I've met people who like hardpack. If you have sharp edges you can really get a carve out of it. However, there is a difference between hardpack and glare ice.

This is from Gore's website tonight. Yea there is some packed powder and yea there is some loose granular. But in reality the report is misleading. :bs:

Picture 3.png

Joe...have you seen any of my reports from Gore this week? If so do you consider them legit? It's a sincere question.

joegm":386qak0p said:
i probably do not have enough perspective but can anyone remember mad river glen essentially being closed for the christmas week period ?
If closed, you're talking about Practice Slope, yes, it has happened recently.

Harvey44":1zrtq6or said:
This is from Gore's website tonight. Yea there is some packed powder and yea there is some loose granular. But in reality the report is misleading. :bs:

Joe...have you seen any of my reports from Gore this week? If so do you consider them legit? It's a sincere question.

i certainly consider your reports legit without question... as i do 95% of the reports on THIS site....that just shows me even more how confusing it gets...i m hearing reports that killington is not good at all...upstate NY based on yours is a lot different than most of VT and NH and ME seem to be right now... i have first hand reports that loon is a complete sheet of ice...i just find it interesting

i find this all to be very funny. there is and has been great skiing all along except for maybe a couple of days. just cuz it's icy as shit up north doesn't mean it's icy everywhere. deep pow day monday before x-mas at cannon and most other spots. deep untracked pow again with refills again at cannon on x-mas eve. couple of days of crap then crotched gets 8 inches with this last storm while up north get's skunked, so the fools go north and those that want to ski good snow stay south, pretty simple. the pow skiing on new yrs eve and day were great in the south so more pow days lately than spots out west. when the skiing at resorts is sub par, xc ski. only takes a dusting to make great conditions for xc. skiing ain't just about goin down and catchin a lift back up. i heard the touring in blue hills was great the past few days. go where the snow is good, play on different gear and mix things up as everything compliments one another in this snow play world.
rog

I view the Northeast as in far better shape than 2 years ago at New Year's. http://webpages.charter.net/tcrocker818/123106.htm

Two weeks ago it was very good, and I thought much of the base was still there. So all it should take is one resurfacing storm. I'm surprised to see it so marginal at MRG. Sugarbush claimed to be 100% open for about a week, down to 64% now.

Perhaps now you can see why I use "percent open" as the key early season metric. It's probably the only thing the resorts can't gloss over or :bs: without getting called out. I rely 99+% on FTO reports for anything related to surface conditions in the East.

No question the base is there.

It was really the wind Weds nite that blew everything off.

Oh yea this is not BS...snowing pretty good here:

CRV.JPG

Not sure how long it will keep up as it looks like a wandering band of lake effect.

Better get to bed just in case an early rise is needed.

Tony Crocker":32todxxt said:
I view the Northeast as in far better shape than 2 years ago at New Year's. http://webpages.charter.net/tcrocker818/123106.htm

Two weeks ago it was very good, and I thought much of the base was still there. So all it should take is one resurfacing storm. I'm surprised to see it so marginal at MRG. Sugarbush claimed to be 100% open for about a week, down to 64% now.

Perhaps now you can see why I use "percent open" as the key early season metric. It's probably the only thing the resorts can't gloss over or :bs: without getting called out. I rely 99+% on FTO reports for anything related to surface conditions in the East.

fyi tony, reports from friends that live in the stowe area and franconia claim it's pretty bad up there and most areas without snowmaking don't have much of a base left and judging from the mrg webcam, all you can see is rock, stumps, ice and patches. i think they're gettin snow up north now and for my birthday next week think wed/thurs it should snow, well cuz it's my 36th. we got the same or more snow on the ground in portsmouth than many spots up north right now and the skiing is very nice.
rog

icelanticskier":31dyq1ts said:
for my birthday next week

Hey Roj...even though you may have lumped me with the fools who traveled north....Happy Birthday. When is it?

Harv = 50 on Thurs. Looks like I won't be skiing on my bday. Got a heavy work sched early Jan.

Harvey44":34hoev0l said:
icelanticskier":34hoev0l said:
for my birthday next week

Hey Roj...even though you may have lumped me with the fools who traveled north....Happy Birthday. When is it?

Harv = 50 on Thurs. Looks like I won't be skiing on my bday. Got a heavy work sched early Jan.

oh, don't take it personally harv. ny doesn't count anyway. that's like west to me and looks like you have some snow there from guns and sky. soft is the key, right? my b-day is the 8th and i will be skiing pow somewhere i hope on wed or thurs. could be stowe, 4-5" new so far this morning. could be cannon, blowing snow a bunch and snowing. saddleback if it snows. mt washington poke? maybe.
don't work too hard, especially mid week. weekends are for workin. happy b-day. gotta get some skiing in b4 work today. should be a packed pow chalky dream on the hill with pow in the woods.
rog

I think we figured this out last year...Jan 8...you, me, Elvis.

Didn't work today.

Harvey44":3v37wlk6 said:
I think we figured this out last year...Jan 8...you, me, Elvis.

Didn't work today.

ah my capricornian bruthah. i did work today but skied untracked pow all morning in madbury nh. lots shooting slots, rippin turns, crossing frozen brooks and droppin ravines, rounded out again with an open fields tour. ski days up in the 20's now with more than half them pow days so over 50% pow percentage. not great for the east, but very acceptable. have fun and a happy b-day.
rog

Tony Crocker":2o3ziwuo said:

The natural snow terrain at Killington probably lost 75% of the snow pack in the thaws. Unless it faces north, is above 3000', and is less than a 30 degree slope, it has a rope across it for lack of cover. I'm not surprised that MRG and the natural snow areas at Sugarbush are in tough shape. 6" to 8" of dry powder over rocks & glare ice won't fix it.

Back