Jay, VT, 4/16/05 -- epic powder day!!! 3 ft of untracked!

20thSkier

Jay on Saturday was absolutely epic...3 ft of untracked powder and face shots galore...

oops, sorry. Was just translating my report into jay peak snow-report format. Here's the original report:

Jay on Saturday was quite a blast. Beautiful weather and beautiful corn in lots of spots. A few trails have massive bare spots and are basically unskiable, but that's still confined to a relatively few of them. It's kinda strange -- one trail will be completely bare in huge sections, and another nearby with just a slightly different aspect has tons of snow. The trails that are skiable have (mostly) great cover for this late in the year -- you don't need to be on rock skis.

My favorite on Saturday was Everglade and between Everglade+Staircase, where I skiied great untracked corn all afternoon. Can-Am and the State side had nice bumps. Corn face shots were had. Face chutes + tuckerman's chutes were nice in the afternoon. Beaver pond area was pretty good but lots of tree debris all over the place at the top. The area between the bonaventure lift (from deliverance over) and the state side was bare and most of it was unskiable.

There's still plenty of snow on the upper mountain and good skiing to be had for a little while yet. But I think it's doubtful that they'll be open next weekend because the long traverses at the bottom needed to get back to the chairs are going fast. On Saturday it was OK but there are rapidly growing bare spots and it's going to be impossible to ski back to the lifts before long.

One thing that really drives me nuts about Jay is the bald-faced lying on the conditions+trail reports. I mean, in mid-April it's not like we're expecting all that much. Simply being open and having some good skiing in places is more than enough to satisfy. But they persist in making completely absurd statements. Their report claimed "mid-winter conditions and highs in the 60s" which of course is such a ridiculous contradiction to begin with that at least you're spared the trouble of deciding how much credence to give it. And then they blatantly lie about what trails are open -- many that are listed on the report as open are in fact closed. You expect this to some extent in spring when some trails start up too firm and then soften up later. But when the trail is closed because it's been bare rocks+grass for days or weeks?

yup, just what I thought "Mid Winter Conditions"

I don't understand why they just can't fess up and say somethins credible, like 'perfect spring skiing conditions'. That doesn't sound too bad, but at least we know what to expect in the spring...bare spots, corn, slush, even granular (in the morning).

In my mind, mid-winter conditions means powder, even if it is packed powder. You'd be hardpressed to call anything we saw this weekend packed powder.

But, you might call the early-morning 'mid-winter' in the sense that it was probably bullet proof until the temps warmed up.

I'm getting :( that it is so close to being over.

Back