June Mountain?

socal

Question, heading up to Mammoth this weekend and weather is saying very windy at Mammoth and June. Knowing how busy weekends are and knowing that upper mountain lifts will be closed at Mammoth we were thinking of trying our luck at June on Saturday. Any experience how they do on windy days compared to Mammoth?

Better than Mammoth for wind, but no guarantee that J6 and J7 might not close. The good news is that there is surely enough snow to ski the low altitude face now.

I suspect June is a good idea for crowd avoidance on a likely frenzied weekend though.

might be my first trip to June.
If you do please write it up. I've driven past it on way to Mammoth a couple times (used to live in Tahoe once upon a time), not sure I've seen a TR on it though...

If you do please write it up. I've driven past it on way to Mammoth a couple times (used to live in Tahoe once upon a time), not sure I've seen a TR on it though...
Will do my best. According to the Caltrans map, 395 is closed north of Mammoth. The webcams show the road as dry and no snow, maybe they didn't update. Either way, hopefully by Saturday they get it opened.

Well, looks like June won’t happen. I have the family with me and they’re taking about heavy snow and wind, white out conditions starting at 2pm. I’m not going to take a chance we get stuck at June or worse have issues on 395 heading back.

Back