Killington or Jay conditions later in March or early April?

pointpeninsula

Anyone have any knowledge or crystal-ball information about Killington or Jay?

I'm thinking of taking a weekend at K the 21/22 March to try a telemark clinic - I thought it would be a good way to try it out. I've skied XC for nearly 40 years, and alpine for 6, so it seems like a reasonable idea. I've been watching the weather forecasts and current conditions and it's got to be better in either of those two locations than it its here in western NY.

Later this month or early next, some pals and I would like to take three days or so for a season-ending trip and often go to Killington, but we're wondering if Jay would be the better bet this year.

Ideas?

Tom

You really can't predict conditions at this time of year. Killington just had a thaw and conditions are flat & fast. If it's not groomed, it has a rope across it. Jay Peak is reporting frozen granular and 'variable'. Snowpack and base isn't an issue. No telling who will get snow and which days will produce nice spring conditions. Your best bet is to defer your decision as long as possible.

I noticed from Killington's trail report that a lot of the diamond and double diamonds are closed, so that's about what I expected. We're taking it day by day.

Thanks for the tip. It's going on the calendar for next year to keep an eye out for it. EMS has some good clinics too, from what I can tell, and I'd like to check them out sometime.

Back