Kirkwood, CA 2/3/22

tseeb

It was my 4th day this season at Kirkwood and first day I was there for most of the day. Kirkwood must have really been hammered by NE wind on Tuesday and Wednesday, when I heard they only ran chairs 5, 7 and 11 (plus probably beginner chairs 1 and 9). I parked in corner of lot closest to chair 7 and had my first fall of the trip putting on my 2nd ski boot next to passenger’s door where it was very icy. I warmed up taking chair 7 at 9:45 before moving to Cornice for three laps. Look Out Janek was smooth and fast early. Sentinel was very good, but Zacharys, the main E-facing run next to chair seems to be getting over-groomed and is firm. Pictures are Janek. It was not busy.
3468Janek5Skiers.JPG

3469Janek2Skiers.JPG

I took two early laps on the Wall. Some of it was so wind-affected that it looked like it had been bombed. Maybe it was. This is Headwaters.
3506Headwaters.JPG

But there were also good places. First picture is skier on snow moved by the wind on main Wall run and second is above top of Reut that I skied a few times. I have yet to go into Wagon Wheel Bowl this year, but it may have been a good day to check out Notch Chute for windsift.
3491WallSkier.JPG

3503AboveReut.JPG

I rode T-bar above chair 2 for the first time this season. Not only is the 2nd half after the turn steep, unqualified riders are kept off it with hike of almost 100' vertical above top of chair 2. I used to take hike with slightly less vertical from chair 3, but that is no longer allowed.
3496OnTBar.JPG

Not only did I have to remove skis to continue along ridge for the first time I can remember, but I didn't find much expected blown-in snow. I did find a flag that I had to look up.
3497TbarHike.JPG

3498TbarFlag.JPG

I meant to come down NW-facing gully that is around corner behind rock on right, but I came down too firm W-facing in center.
3501TbarRun.JPG

Chair 4 runs were in great shape in afternoon. I had 3 long slow rides, with a Stella on the second one. Wind was blowing straight up run.
3509Chair4Stella.JPG

3516Chair4Skiers.JPG

I exited via main Thunder Saddle run which goes to the left after drop-in and ends in small bowl. Both were good. I rode chair 2 and skied ungroomed W-facing High Whiskey. While it was somewhat smooth, it was too firm. To return to where I’d parked, I rode Reut and skied right edge of the Race Course which was still in sun and in great shape to took another run on Cornice where they had added sign warning about firm conditions, maybe after injury I’d seen earlier on Sentinel. I finished my day with at 3:30 ride on chair 7 for 26.2K according to my watch which counted chair 2/T-bar as one run. EpicMix vertical was lower as it skipped the T-bar, but I liked the number it had.
3517EpicMix 2_3_22.PNG

With a quick stop at Lockeford Meats for chorizo and sausages and in Manteca for rare in CA gas for under $4 gas, even with debit card, I was home before 7:30.

But Stella?
A big come down from the usual funky craft numbers.
Nice report Tony.
Thanks Simon. I bought the Stella when we shared AirBnb last week with my wife's family in Anaheim where we went to California Adventure and Disneyland. I knew they liked Pisners more than IPAs, but I think I was the only one that had one there so I have some leftover. Stella is a good beer with over 400 years of history. I first got into it when I was living in England and went to the Queen's Court tennis tournament and they were a sponsor. The skinny 12 oz. can also fits well in a pocket.

For après on 2/3, I had Mystic Haze which was very good. I had to take and post pictures of more than one side.
3533MysticHaze.JPG

3534Mystic2.JPG

3535MysticBack.JPG

This was tonight's beer. I got a case of Budweiser-owned micro-brews at Costco for $36 + tax + recycling fee around New Year's. It came with a $25 rebate on a pre-paid Master Card that I have already received and spent.
3537RedHookHazy.JPG

One of the things I love about travelling to North America is the huge variety of top quality craft beers. When I’ve booked trips to Japan and Europe in the past I’ve sometimes second guessed the decision momentarily because of the beer thing.
I don’t dislike the Pilsner/lager types from Japan and Europe (I particularly liked the dunkels in Austria) but those big hoppy ales from the US are heaven.
Interestingly this crowd are in the Tarantaise and reportedly make great brews.
I will give a critique in about 5 weeks with any luck.
Back to ski talk.

Last edited:
No skiing pictures to add, but have a beer and a couple of others to add. I found a 4-pack of this (16 oz. beer) at Grocery Outlet by my Mom's house for $5.99. After trying it, I went back and bought the other two they had.
3564FederationInTheWeeeds.JPG

Snow Moon setting from my back deck on 2/16 a little before 7 AM. That is frost on neighbor's well-insulated roof.
3558SnowMoonset.JPG

Tule Elk, which can weigh up to 800 lbs, that I saw when exiting family property that is 11 miles from my house, just before 6 PM on 2/14. I've also spotted them when driving between my house and my Mom's house which is 6 miles away. Edit to add from wikipedia: "the smallest subspecies of all American elks, with the average weight of adult males only 450 to 550 lb (200 to 250 kg) and females average of 375 to 425 lb (170 to 193 kg). California Department of Fish and Wildlife records show recent bull elk on Grizzly Island in Suisun Bay weigh up to 900 pounds (410 kg).
3551TuleElk.JPG

Last edited:
We are in part of Bay Area with cool and very warm temps, usually depending on season. I received a weather station for Christmas that seems to closely track a nearby wunderground station about a half mile away. We almost got to 88 on 2/12 when they got to 87. And even though both of our lows in Feb. have never reached freezing and theirs has only gotten below 35 once, it's cold enough for frost to form.

Two-day snow total of up to 19" (Homewood) at Tahoe. Kirkwood is lagging at 7". Cam shows it's still snowing and lines. Northstar and Mt Rose now claim 300" for season.

Back