Kirkwood, CA 3/13/2022

tseeb

After skiing Snowbird and Alta until 12:30 on Sat, then driving 580 miles to SLT, the 45 min from cabin to Kirkwood turnoff felt short. When line of cars entering valley stopped for crosswalk far ahead, I was concerned I was not going to stop in time on very slick road so I went very lightly into snowbank to avoid vehicle ahead of me. No damage or problem getting out although vehicle I'd passed on the right in passing lane going up Carson Pass got past me. Parking along road by Timber Creek was full so I took one in first row of lot there. I thought I saw on Kirkwood’s twitter feed very early on Sunday that chair 10 would be on windhold all day but can only find 7:05 AM tweet with “SW-W winds 45-65mph with gusts 60-90mph decreasing throughout day. Winds may impact lift operations.”

Tahoe was under high wind warning from Sat PM until 11 AM Sun, but it stopped earlier than expected after leaving a very little new snow overnight at South Lake Tahoe and Kirkwood. Overnight winds at top of Ward Peak at Alpine peaked at 815 and 830 AM with sustained 77 and 80 mph and gusts of 102 and 100 mph, respectively. Kirkwood opened all frontside lifts by 9, although employee I rode Timber Creek with said winds caused even that well-protected lift to run slow early. Backside lifts were open by 10.

I couldn’t find pass in usual place so I got in longish ticket line to make sure one I did find would work. Employee working line asked if I only needed a day ticket and when I told her I wasn’t sure if I had the right pass she grabbed a scanner and said I was good to go (without waiting in long slow line). Since there was not much of a liftline at 9:30, I took loose boots, then tighter boots warmup laps on Timber Creek. The new snow was not enough to fill the groomer grooves. I moved to Cornice for three laps where I found better surface on Zacharys than Sentinel so I repeated it.

Next I moved to The Wall for what turned out to be five laps. I'd never seen the Easy Way Down sign at base of Wall (only easy way is to exit before loading). I thought entry to main Wall run was worse the previous Sunday.
3671SignsLoadingWall.JPG

The SW winds had blown in a lot of windsifted snow and by finding where it landed, there were routes on The Wall that skied great. These included far lookers right of main run, the gully below it and gullies between main run and top of Reut. I also found very good snow in Notch Chute although bumps in choke forced my routing through it more than l like. Conestoga and Shotgun were also good. Windsift on Wall.
3679WindsiftTraverse.JPG

Looking into Notch Chute (or could be All The Way)
3669LookingDownNotch.JPG

I finished my Wall laps with All The Way chute where found a steep, very shaded face to skiers right to avoid the worse than Notch choke that I will have to repeat. I quit at 1230 with just over 15K and was home by 430, suffering though some traffic from 99/120 (I needed to make a couple of stops just off 99 between Stockton and Manteca) until on 680. I didn't have phone out to catch three guys throwing around the windsift in the gully at upper right of this picture.
3677Wall_Instructor.JPG

Trip summary

Nights away from home 7
Nights in sleeping bag 3 (two at cabin, one in back of SUV in Wendover). Nights at Iron Blosam 4

Days skied 8 - Kirkwood 2, Heavenly 1, Alta only 1, Snowbird only 1, Alta and Snowbird both 3
Averaged 20.5K vertical per day with two 27K days, 14K on limited visibility powder day and 13.3K on departure day in UT

Miles driven 1601. Least expensive gas Costco SLC $3.799 (3/8). Most expensive Arco Lathrop Rd/99 $5.259 (3/13 - did not need it to make it home, but cheapest gas at home is $4.99 and not very close/convenient).
Total spent on gas ~$310 includes ~$60 on 3/7 at Maverik station E of Carson that I don't yet see on credit card I use.

Last edited:
Total spent on gas ~$310
Since Mar. 2 we have driven about 1,700 miles. 60kWh of that was home charged, about $10. The rest was free supercharging. If you have a Model 3/Y and are paying 32 cents/kWh at superchargers, that would have cost about $160.

Charlie borrowed my Tesla (he had driven it back from Solitude with us 2 years ago) to shop for new skis for his wife Patricia. Her skis had been stolen and she needed new ones with tech bindings comparable with her AT boots. They waited for the mounting of bindings at the supercharger by Tesla's Salt Lake store. They test drove a Model Y and ordered one which will be delivered in Maryland in August.

Last edited:
In the early adopter era (roughly 2012-2016) all Teslas had free supercharging. The idea was to encourage road tripping, which was an obstacle to EV purchases by the general public. Owners would be willing to put up with moderate times spent at the chargers since they were not paying for the electricity, or the gas that went into their prior vehicles. There was prevailing opinion that about $2,000 was added to the price of each Tesla to build the supercharger network.

The network grew along major travel routes, and in my case the construction of a new supercharger at Mammoth in October 2015 induced my first purchase.

Tesla announced the end of free supercharging starting in 2017 but periodically brought it back as a sales incentive for Models S/X. Model S/X demand softened in 2018-2020 when Model 3 was introduced. The Model S/X drive unit/suspension upgrades in 2019 were enough for me to replace the older car as we travel a lot and road trip charging times were cut in half. I turned in the old car in June 2019, went off to the South Pacific for a month and suspected I would get the new car late in the 3rd quarter when Tesla tries to maximize sales. But Tesla brought back the free supercharging incentive on Aug. 3 and we had our new car 10 days later.

Times are very different now. Models 3/Y have been continuous hot sellers and almost none of them have free supercharging. Models S/X had major revisions announced in January 2021 which went into production late June. These cars are also now in high demand. A new Model S costs at least $20K more than mine did, and if you order now you will get it in July. Free supercharging is limited to pre-2021 Model S/X. The free supercharging feature is transferable to a second owner only for 2016 and prior cars.

Paid supercharging rates average 28 cents/kWh though in California I think it's more like 32 cents. This translates to about 10 cents per mile for Model S and 8 cents for the lighter weight Model 3. My home charging is 13.7 cents per kWh, 5.2 cents per mile.

Given Tesla's stratospheric stock price, they can raise money easily for investing in superchargers along with their other projects. Nearly all new superchargers since late 2019 are the 250kW variety though most of the interstates were built out by 2017 or so with 150kW chargers. In 2020 superchargers in the flyover states were close to empty more often that not on my cross country drives. It's different now, at least in Utah. Every charger we used between Vegas and SLC was at least half full on Mar. 5 and Mar. 12. This is where the new 250kW chargers make a big difference. You generally get max charging speed at those even when it's busy. The 150kW chargers come in pairs, and if you are sharing you only charge at a 72kW rate.

Has Tahoe had much of any snow since the Dec storms? I know they have had a bit, but I don't have a good sense of how much/little in the past 2.5 months. Has it been continuous hard pack since then? or did surfaces fully refresh at least once in a storm cycle? Just curious.

That instructor pic makes it look like a very firm version of chalky.

I skied Mt. Rose Feb. 7 and Mammoth Feb. 8-9 and both were still over half winter snow despite no new snow since Dec. 30. But those places are high altitude and mostly north facing. January/early February were cool, but it warmed up the second week of February after my visit. Lower places like Palisades presumably did not hold up so well as it reported only 57% open Feb. 14.

Palisades had 1-6 inches Jan. 1-8, 8-17 inches Feb. 22-23 and 5-9 on Mar. 5. It has been just over 80% open in March.

Mammoth had only 5 inches Feb. 22-23 and 4 inches Mar. 5-6. Mammoth has continuously reported over 90% open, though I'd say on Feb. 8-9 there was maybe 15% of the mountain nobody was skiing. Mammoth Snowman's report from March 8 said still about 2/3 winter snow, but yes some of that chalk is firm.

It has not been Tahoe Deep or Knee Deep (great brewery near Auburn, CA airport) lately, but Kirkwood announced they are extending season to 5/1. I bought and drank this 8.5% Imperial IPA yesterday.
3682TahoeDeep.JPG
It could be only chairs 5, 6 and maybe 7 and you may have to take off skis to get to some chair 6 (Cornice) terrain. After reporting 165" in Dec (80" 12/12-18, 27" the following week and 58" 12/26-29), Kirkwood had 1" in Jan, 23" in Feb (2" on 2/16 and 23" 2/22-23) and 6" so far in Mar (4" on 3/5, 1" on both 3/6 & 3/7). Surprisingly, the entrance to Wall was easier to hold an edge/less firm on 3/13 than 3/6. Hopefully this turns their lower than average snowfall in 2020-21 and 2019-20 after they closed 4/21/19 with 20' of snow.
See https://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/threads/kirkwood-ca-4-19-20-19.13982/ for my report.
This season Kirkwood only has 60% of their average season total and are only 29" ahead of Heavenly who also are at 60% of their average season total. North Tahoe is doing better. All data and this chart from OpenSnow.
OpenSnow.png

Back