Kirkwood, CA 5/1/2022 (Closing day)

tseeb

I was at Kirkwood for closing day, starting about 9:15 after parking in no. 1 spot by cat crossing near Timber Creek. The same guy from Sonora as on preceding Tuesday and Thursday pulled in next to me. His youtube channel is Blown Lines (skiing and river running as he is a Mokelumne river ranger in Summer.) Crash At Kirkwood - YouTube is from last Thurs which was the cold day I mostly skied with him and former Bear Valley patrol director. It was warm enough at base that friend used bag I got for a hat.
3961KirkwoodDeepSwag.JPG

I skied a couple of runs with youtuber and his friend before finding other friend, who got his Kirkwood house (he calls it cabin) back from ski lease Fri, and his son on our first Cornice lap. There had been a hard freeze at Kirkwood overnight especially up high. I tried the Wall at 11:30, 12:30 (after short break where I picked up free Gatorade and swag (I already had Kirkwood Deep polo that I was wearing, probably from SF movie event) from entering photo contest) and again at 1:30 after taking three PM laps on the Reut that had softened well. Wall was getting better, but was still not yet soft (or smooth) enough to ski very fast until almost where grooming started. There was the longest Wiggle I've ever seen on Cornice. It had at least 25 turns and went between Kirkwood's Fingers and Monte Wolf which softened early and where I took first 2 Wiggle pictures.
3953WiggleTop.JPG

3957WiggleMiddle.JPG

Last picture of most of the Wiggle and crowd waiting to enter it taken from Wall chair (Wiggle continues behind trees). I didn't try on my 186 cm skis.
3969WiggleFar.JPG

I moved to Cornice for my last two Kirkwood laps. I was surprised how big bumps were that had formed at top of Zachary where snow was also totally scraped off (to dirt/rock) in some places. I finished with Sentinel where on the way to it I saw somebody drop Big Jim’s, Kirkwood’s version of Corbetts that required about a 10’ drop then 40’ straight line. I did it once on 210s in front of a
3974BigJims.JPG
patroller. I’ve seen 10s of people doing it after lift had closed for day and season not that many years ago. I quit at 2:15 with 22.4K, was on the road before 2:30 and got off 101 in So. San Jose at 6 at the exit for my Mom’s as I needed to be home for her 92nd birthday. Not sure if my season if done after 8 days in April and 14 in March after taking most of Feb. off. More pictures not posted elsewhere. First two are one of the big boy entrances to the Wall. I thought about it on Tuesday, the softest day, but never tried it over my 4 days.
3963WallBigBoy.JPG

3964WallBigBoyZoom.JPG

There were a lot of costumes and festivities in parking lot. I missed the first bikini friend's sons saw about noon. The boarders below going down Snowsnake Gully are Batman and Superwoman.
3971Batman+Superwoman.JPG

Back