La Plagne, April 12, 2022

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Fraser had been warning us for awhile that Tuesday would be the first of several days with no overnight freeze, and that the Sahara dust might make a return appearance. Nonetheless we were willing to try one day, particularly since La Plagne would complete our survey of the Tarantaise mega resorts.

LaPlagneMap.jpg

Unlike the prior day at Les Arcs, we knew we should avoid lower satellite base areas. However La Plagne has 5 base areas between 1930 and 2050 meters. We chose Plagne Central as it has 3 parking areas listed on the map and we were lucky to get a spot at 9:30 or so. It took awhile to find a place to buy tickets though.

We finally headed up the Grand Rochette Funitel a bit after 10AM, after observing that base area snow was indeed soft already. Sign at top of the Funitel:

IMG_1734.JPG

We decided to check out La Plagne’s backside before its snow got too sloppy. View from the top of Geisha run:

IMG_4785.JPG

The backside is the inset at upper right of the trail map, but it spans similar vertical and acreage to Vail’s back bowls.

We rode the Vallons Sud lift and skied Hara Kiri. View from Vallons Sud restaurant about ¾ of the way down:

DSC03010a.JPG

It takes 3 lifts to get out of the backside going west, Carella being the top one of those.

IMG_4790.JPG

We wanted to check out the Bellecote glacier area in case weather deteriorated. The gondola from Roche de Mio at 9,000 feet takes a long time going through a saddle at 8,300, then up to 10,000. From there the Traversee chair goes to the lift served high point at 10,500. From the gondola the close in mountains are clear but Mont Blanc in the background is noticeably hazy.

DSC03012.JPG

There were occasions the haze had a tan tinge, but we never got an obvious picture of that.

Mountain goat carving at the top of the gondola:

IMG_1737.JPG

Only the Combe piste was open from the top, and I cut the top switchback to ski the last remnant of winter snow.

IMG_1739a.JPG

We skied past the gondola saddle.

IMG_4795.JPG

Two pistes continue down to the Chalet de Bellecote lift at about 7,500 feet. There are two black skiroutes (both closed) and numerous off piste options coming down there from the top.

IMG_4796.JPG

There’s a bit of a depression before the lift where that skier had to slog out in current conditions. It would be an easy runout if the bottom of the black piste were groomed.

We rode the gondola back to Roche de Mio, where we noticed this play area.

IMG_4799.JPG

We next skied the Mio run to Carella.

IMG_4802.JPG

Liz said the moguls reminded her of Killington’s at this time of year.

We next skied to the Inversens chair.

IMG_4803.JPG

Sbooker asked about wide open intermediate powder terrain, and Inversens looks ideal in that regard.

IMG_4804.JPG

Zoomed Mont Blanc view is not clear like yesterday from Les Arcs, but perhaps better than a couple of hours ago.

IMG_4805.JPG

We next skied the Tunnel run to Belle Plagne.

IMG_4807a.JPG

You can see the skiers funneling toward the tunnel, close up view here.

IMG_4810.JPG

We arrived at the Plagne Bellecote base.

IMG_4813.JPG

You will never see this level of skier traffic midweek in North America in April. Both British and French have school holidays during Easter Week. This is no criticism on my part. On the contrary, the Euros are more sensible in appreciating the virtues of spring skiing. Over half of North American destination resorts were closed by last Sunday, and some like Telluride close first weekend of April, often with maximum snowpack and excellent conditions.

Once we were up on the Blanchets chair we had considerably more elbow room.

IMG_4811.JPG

IMG_4812.JPG

Skiing toward Plagne Central the overcast skies became thicker but we spotted the Rochette black run coming down NE from the Funitel. So we had to go up there and ski it.

IMG_4820.JPG

Light was a little flat but as usual gravity is your friend in late spring conditions so Rochette skied quite well.

Liz called it a day at his point but I finished with the Verdons run on Lovatiere (starts at Plagne Central and replaced Verdons Nord).

IMG_4824.JPG

I was done just before 4PM with 20,300 vertical. We needed to use the short Boulevard lift to get to our car, as we had in the morning to get tickets.

IMG_4826.JPG

You can see why we chose not to ski any lower than this today.

We were pleased that the adverse weather did not include bad visibility, so we were able to get a good overview of La Plagne.

For late season skiing the Paradiski areas do not offer as much skiing over 2,500 meters (8,200 feet) as Val Thorens and Val d’Isere/Tignes. Terrain wise the Bellecote glacier area has similar scale and vertical as Tignes’ Grand Motte but is 1,000 feet lower. Aiguille Rouge at Les Arcs offers some technical off piste comparable to the Gaislachkogl at Sölden, and in both cases I did not quite have the time to explore that. I agreed with Liz that conditions on this trip were not such that you wanted to concentrate on repeat runs in particularly great snow. Therefore it made more sense to cover as much ground as possible exploring new places.

The connection between Les Arcs and La Plagne is at fairly low altitude, and given the scale of both areas it made sense to us to ski them one at a time, especially since you also get about a 10% break on lift tickets. I think Sbooker mentioned skiing La Plagne while at Les Arcs, and I’d be interested to hear what he thought about that. At any rate the areas are not seamlessly integrated the way they are at Trois Valles or Val d’Isere/Tignes.

It was a disappointment to get the weather warmup after all the recent new snow. Jimmy Petterson is in Val d’Isere this week and we could have met up with him again had weather been more favorable. But that’s why we have a car. We spent a couple of hours in Chambery Wednesday before leaving France, and Thursday afternoon in Trieste. We are in Slovenia today, staying at the Postojna Cave. We return to Italy tomorrow, as we fly out of Venice early Sunday morning for our group tour of the Adriatic countries.

I had hoped to get my ski day count up to 50 before leaving Europe, but 49 is close enough. We skied 16 days at 14 areas, all of them new to us except Verbier.

I agreed with Liz that conditions on this trip were not such that you wanted to concentrate on repeat runs in particularly great snow. Therefore it made more sense to cover as much ground as possible exploring new places.
And there is the answer to the question I just asked in the other thread on Les Arcs, lol.

How many km/miles have you put on your car so far?
About 3,600km. Fortunately it's a Peugeot diesel wagon that got 38mpg on the tank in Italy to and from the Cinque Terre.

To what do you ascribe that: the Easter week school holiday or do North Americans move on to warm-weather pursuits earlier than Euros?
1) I'll guess that April weather in the Alps is usually more pleasant than in Britain, Germany, Low Countries, northern half of France.
2) The Euros get at least 4 weeks vacation, so a week in spring doesn't preclude a summer vacation as it might for many Americans.

From our accommodation in Arc 1800 it was one lift to get enough elevation to ski down to the Vanoise Express that goes across the valley to La Plagne. So about 15/18 minutes to get across. There are almost two consecutive lifts to get up to La Plagne proper. So realistically the first 45 minutes of the ski day is lift heavy. If snowy the runs down under the Vanoise Express on the La Plagne side are very accessible.

I still think Arc 1800 is ideal for our extended stay in January. It offers a lot for a group of 6 that includes 4 teenagers. (We’ll be a group of eight for a while when our adult friends visit).
1. Plenty of terrain under the tree line in case of snow. A decent chance at that time of year I would think.
2. Easy access to all of the Les Arcs side via the Trans Arc gondola or Carreley lift.
3. Easy access to La Plagne including all the lower tree lined area near Les Coches.
4. Easy access to Bourg Saint Maurice bus station which offers day trips to La Rosiere (a day out to Italy perhaps), Sainte Foy and Val D/Tignes. We will definitely make use of that. Even a day to Meribel/Courchevel is doable.
5. Easy access to Bourg train to Chambery for a cultural day out for my wife and the girls.
6. Folie Douce a couple of hundred yards up the hill will cater for Emily and her 18 year old friend’s dance needs.
7. A very impressive pool and gym about 50 yards from the main part of the village. My 15 year old lad and his mate will make use of that.
8. Easy access to two big supermarkets (without resort prices) in Bourg Saint Maurice.
9. Plenty of ski school options including a few companies that offer six day off piste packages at reasonable prices.

Interestingly there are quite a few inside refuge areas that families can stop and eat a packed lunch in comfort. Like -

I agree Tignes/Val D and the Three Valleys perhaps offer more diverse ski terrain but the lack of trees could be tricky for intermediates in a prolonged stretch of snowy/cloudy weather. I don’t think we’ll have too much unwanted down time in Les Arcs.

As I’ve mentioned before weather downtime is not seasonal in the Alps. Big storms and extended dry spells have similar incidence in all months.

The issues that vary by time of year as in all ski areas are coverage/open terrain in early season and snow preservation driven mostly by altitude/exposure in late season.

Paradiski is a notch inferior to the other big complexes for late season but probably similar in reliability in the front half of the season. Slope congestion looked a bit worse but part of that was being at Paradiski during the school holidays.

I hear no comments about:

1. La Plagne architecture - :)
2. Compared to all of Europe - Bellecote gondola??!! What is going on?

What I really was surprised about - and liked - were the back bowls of La Plagne.

Yes that Bellecote gondola is an antique: 4 passengers in pairs back-to-back (I've only seen one other like that, in Niseko) and slow. I was pleasantly surprised not to wait in line for it, as opposed to the 20 minute line for the Aiguille Rouge tram at Les Arcs the previous day.

Yes that Bellecote gondola is an antique: 4 passengers in pairs back-to-back (I've only seen one other like that, in Niseko) and slow. I was pleasantly surprised not to wait in line for it, as opposed to the 20 minute line for the Aiguille Rouge tram at Les Arcs the previous day.
It’s kind of retro cool. Like an old vehicle.

It broke down twice the day we used it. Once before we jumped on and the second time when we were having lunch adjacent to the point of embarking the gondola. They had to run it (very slowly) on the back up diesel motor.
I believe it’s being upgraded this summer.

The Trans Arc gondola is also having new cabins installed this summer. It is a terrible design. No ability to store skis outside.

The Olympic gondola in Val D’Isere is the best I’ve been in. Certainly as good as the flash ones I remember in the Dolomites and Zillertal.

The Solis’s one in Val is pretty impressive too. The black cabins look the part.
C70FED66-35B0-451B-99E6-C72612A250E6.jpeg

Back