loon mtn, nh, 1-22-09

joegm

started out at the south peak just to see first hand all the silly hoopla they have been shouting about in regards to the new loon double black diamond trail rip saw- :roll: ....the trail does probably have the steepest sustained pitch on the hill....for about 300 feet or so... :D ... ahh whatever...
moving on

actually, the surface pp first thing in the am was shockingly good...a couple of groomers on the south peak with no hardpack anywhere, including the ol rip saw, and we scattered to the north....they were blowing the hell out of flume , which hopefully is the set up for some seeded bump lines ](*,) , and had apparently just finished up some serious blowing of double dipper....double dip had some surprisingly good bumps with pretty much no ice at all... flume under the guns started to bump up by 11am...

normally i want nothying to do with skiing snow guns but for some reason the angles and the snow that was being produced really did not cause much of an issue and the surface was equally as good as double dipper ... triple trouble was in good shape as well, sans snowmaking... mikes way trees are skied in with nice defined lines and good coverage.... low angle trees off seven brothers also skied in with nice lines and bumps and just about to the level of coverage where you don't have to think about it....

aside from south peak groomers , it was north peak all day....not sure how the usual high traffic groomers held up, but i had the sense the snow at loon was actually better than at SR yesterday.... not sure how often i'll be able to say that again....it was around 25 which felt a lot warmer than SR was yesterday.... sweat was produced and hands were warm on every run which to me, is the measure of a good ski day, to be honest.... there was a very little wind and the sun would come in and out for 15 to 20 minutes at a time.... a real nice day for mid winter january for sure.... the lots were full, but when you stick to the runs no one skis , it doesn't seem to matter as much i guess...

annoyance : the new big hype on the hill is the mini pipe they opened up....the thing is actually not so mini , in my opinion and has no dirt base... in other words it's all snow....and frankly , it ridiculous... no one skis it 5 out of 7 days and it certainly took an astounding amount of snow to make... :roll: ...

loon sounds to have been quite different than wildcat today. the wind was howlin, snow was falling, refilling many areas and natural snow trails were great powdery fillin untracked goodness all afternoon. i spent the morning skinning/skiing the sherbi and up to the main gully up at the gulf of slides and decided that with the new snow and wind that wildcat was worth an afternoon look. there were maybe 75 cars in the lot total. great skiing. was there yesterday as well along with a mid-day, 8 mile, 3000 foot descent of the wildcat valley trail on the skinnies with more wildcat skiing in the afternoon. great snow, great days, great season. nice to hear that loon was good.
rog

ice, whats the coverage on starr and lift lion? the site says the top of starr is still not open... how close is it in your opinion?...also, were you able to get a look at al's ? how far away is that from being open ?.... i use the top 1/3rd of starr and al's as my minimum standard to start making the ride to cat.. thanks

Back