Loveland, CO 11-13-2021

EMSC

The tween-age racer years.

Primary goal was that my sons race team started training, thus the early season start despite not much open. It's been an interesting fall in Colorado this year in that I would say that natural snowpack is probably pretty close to normal (at least in central/northern Mtns), but temperatures have not been particularly cold, especially at night, which has significantly slowed the amount of snowmaking that has occurred.

At Loveland that means 2 runs open off Chets Dream, 1 flat one off Chair 2, and one racer-only gate bashing trail down at the valley. Snowmaking was still going when we arrived (both at the valley and on Chair 6 area). But temps quickly warmed by mid-morning as the sun came out. Its clear that on recent weekdays with less people around, patrol has opened up a couple more trails temporarily on natural snow only; which appeared to be decent coverage, but would have gotten hammered and destroyed by the decent sized weekend crowd. Speaking of which, I'd put the decent sized crowd as ~75% ski instructors and racers from all over and only ~25% as actual 'civilians'. Wait times for the quad were probably about 5-7 min on average, which is about as long as lines get at Loveland really.

Anyway we actually beat the rest of the team up the hill by enough to get two laps in before meeting up with them. I then skied with our clubs ED for the entire morning before retreating for lunch and a short meeting in the lodge. Skiing after that for a handful more laps before pulling the plug at 2p with plenty of pain in my quads. I guess tons of work and flying around doesn't make for great physical shape to start the year.

That said, conditions were pretty good. Mostly soft, fairly fluffy snow and even by mid-afternoon only a handful of scratchy patches to deal with.

Snowmaking Early
Image00013.jpg

Image00014.jpg

Lots of ski cutting and packing going on by patrol
Image00015.jpg

Note the roped and well skied natural snow only trail (not open on Saturday)
Image00007.jpg

Yes, I did do one lap on Chair 2 just for something different. Getting close-ish on natural snow in non-windy areas...
Image00009.jpg

Loveland does report 60 inches snowfall and a 22 inch base. That's incrementally better than the standard 18 everyone in Colorado reports when it's all manmade. But everyone else along I-70 is reporting 18 and no one is more than 6% open, so overall it looks like typical early season in Colorado to me. Wolf Creek has had only 31 inches, so I'm sure it's extreme low tide on the 10% open there.

Meanwhile we are appreciating one of those early seasons where Mammoth's volatility works in its favor.

Agree, Thanksgiving is looking average or below given the low tide-ish looking forecast for the next week plus for Colo. Could have been different if a couple decent storms kicked up in the next 10 days or so...

Testing changes to the new forum pic limits... this one below is 1.71MB and seems to be OK.

20211113_113616.jpg

EMSC, I can't remember if you mentioned it elsewhere but I assume that you re-upped with Ikon Pass for 2021-22. As someone who visits Denver three or so times during ski season for work, the Loveland season pass worked for me last winter; however, if I lived there full-time, I'd probably get Ikon. The challenge is what to do on weekends as I could not deal with the I-70/tunnel traffic mess that I encountered -- is Winter Park on weekends any kind of decent alternative?

Last edited:
Yes, IKON pass for the win... Or at least with my son racing out of Eldora it's a must have IMO. Ironically I also have a Greek Peak season pass this year (my father wasn't exactly thinking too straight in those final 6-8 months). More interesting is that the Greek pass is part of the Freedom pass which has a few western resorts I might try to hit this year to at least use the pass... (Cooper, Sunlight, Eagle Point for example).

As to Winter Park, the commute is slightly better, but not immune from the I-70 mess. And can have slow-ish drivers going up and over Berthoud Pass. But it also is fairly overrun with people in recent years as to on-hill crowds, and parking is now also a mess if you are not there early... multiple lifts are packed with lines for example, Lunch Rocks is beyond crowded for lunches, etc... I've had to park in parking garage downtown and shuttle back a couple of times in recent years due to getting there after 9a on a weekend (not as bad of a hassle as it sounds, but still annoying).

All that said, if you look at my last couple of years prior to pandemic you'll note more days at Winter Park than Copper, despite the fact I like the hill at Copper a lot more... So overall a much easier day commute to Winter Park on weekends despite it being more hassle than it used to be.

Back