Mad River Glen, VT 1/28-1/29/05

20thSkier

I skied at mrg on friday and saturday. Word of the day both days was "bony." Things were scratchy more or less everywhere. Not so bad as to be unskiable (and every trail was open) but bad enough that it really affected the skiing. Lots of exposed rocks and some ice patches between bumps as well. Cat Bowl was OK lower down but absolutely brutal at the top (though the drop-ins from the trees to skier's right were OK). Fall line was probably in the best shape of anything, though also scratchy. Chute was pretty bony, but not nearly so bad as Paradise, which was gnarlier than ever (swish-thunk, swish-thunk, swish-scrape-thunk). Lynx/Beaver were terrible, but Glade, Liftline, and Canyon were all reasonably decent.

Skied some woods, particularly on saturday. These were a real mixed bag. On the whole, the cover is thin enough to make me pretty nervous (and I'm something of a maniac). Untracked lines were there in abundance (6-8" of powder), but dangerous with lots of snakes lurking. I stuck mostly to lines that had been skied since the snow. Some good steep lines off the top were certainly to be found, including both left and right of chute and left of fall line. But I also got into a little trouble a couple times -- including lower down in some trees below Ferret where I found myself in a narrow steep-sided gully which was absolutely sheet ice for a while. Shorter woods lines off of LA were my favorite of the weekend -- pretty gentle and with the best snow I found on the mountain. Didn't go golfing at all because this time I was skiing alone. On the whole, though, another good big dump is needed before the woods are completely skiable.

Back