Mammoth, Feb. 8-9, 2022

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
We finished up our two week road trip with annual WWSRA industry demo event at Mammoth. This year during pre-registration we discovered that attendees got a discount to stay at the Mammoth Mountain Inn across the street from Main Lodge. In addition to the skiing convenience to the demo, we appreciated upon arriving after 6PM from Mt. Rose not needing to go out that evening. Mammoth Mountain Inn is full of retro pictures like this one:

IMG_3607.JPG

The original chair 1 was built at a fixed loading height, requiring in early season the sidestep up a ramp and the occasional domino effect if someone lost their balance. I recall that ramp before chair 1 was replaced with a high speed in 1988. All other chairs at Mammoth were built with adjustable loading stations for snowpack level.

I've been to six of these demo events and this is the fourth during an extended dry spell. The current dry spell is now a midwinter record, just this weekend breaking the 44-day mark set two years ago. However conditions were overall better than two years ago or in 2015. Compared to three weeks ago, the only negative change was that outlying chairs 9 and 14 had melt/frozen. Presumably that was also true at Eagle and some areas near Canyon Lodge. The runs off the top were mostly smooth chalk top to bottom.

IMG_3610.JPG

Weather was sunny both days, maybe hit 40F on Tuesday with upslope wind just on top. Wednesday was a touch cooler with the wind slightly more.

As in some previous demos, I mostly tried skis in the 80's underfoot range to see if/how they might be better on firmer/packed snow than my daily driver Blizzard Bonafides 98mm wide. On Tuesday morning I started with Stockli SR88 and skied Face of 3, Drop Out 3, St. Anton and Stump Alley. Next up was the Salomon Stance 90, skiing Ralphie's, Climax, Coyote and Sanctuary. On the first day there is a bratwurst/hot dog lunch break, when Liz noticed this dog hanging out.

IMG_3612.JPG

After lunch I first skied the Nordica Enforcer 94 on Broadway, Dave's, Gold Hill and Solitude, more similar to my Blizzard Bonafides. Skiers spraying snow on groomed Cornice and Saddle Bowl in early afternoon:

IMG_3615.JPG

Liz skiing Roma's after I skied Dave's:

IMG_3631.JPG

Our final skis we skied a couple extra runs as we thought we might be too late to take out a fifth demo. I was on the Kastle MX88's for Andy's, Drop Out 3, then off the back to Chair 14, returning via Monument (skier packed out enough to ski better than in January), lower St. Anton and Patrolmen's. I skied 22,900 vertical Tuesday.

Early Wednesday morning we had this view of the Paranoids as we headed out of the Mammoth Mountain Inn.

IMG_3634.JPG

The December fracture lines are still evident, and it seems obvious that only Monument at far left of the pic has seen even a minimum of skier traffic. Those extensive slides are the one area where Mammoth looks worse than at the previous demo events.

I started again at Stockli, this time with a more dedicated carving ski, the Montera AR80 at 172cm. Liz was able to demo a similar ski from Stockli, the Laser AC72 at 158cm. I skied these on Patrolmen's, Drop Out 3, St. Anton and Stump Alley. Even more than the 88's, these skis can lock in the tail and carve at high speed. As on Tuesday, you can really put on the speed on lower St. Anton after skiing the upper steeps. I'd be tempted to get a ski like this for packed conditions.

Overview of demo area in chair 2 parking lot Wednesday:

IMG_3635.JPG

Most years there are a couple of brands we have not seen before. This year it was https://crspskis.com/ CRSP from Winter Park. They had one women's ski which Liz tried Tuesday and grew on her over the time she skied it. When I was there Wednesday the rep was out and the tech did not know details. I took out the Park model (not necessarily a terrain park ski but named after a pro who works with CRSP) to Stump Alley, Quicksilver and Solitude.

My new (as of last April) Lange XT3 boots have tech fittings, so I next decided to try a Dynafit ski, the Free 97. I took these to Andy's, Dave's, Solitude, Triangle and Dry Creek. The lightweight binding was reminiscent of the Salomon Pilots that Adam and I demoed 20+ years ago. The skis' performance was not far off normal weight alpine skis of similar dimensions.

By this time I was getting tired, so my next demo was the Armada Declivity 88. I've always found Armada skis versatile and forgiving in past demos. After warming up on Fascination I finally checked out the Wipe Out side of chair 23 for the first time in 2022.

IMG_3637.JPG

IMG_3638.JPG

Snow here was not as stiff as 3 weeks ago so I had a nice run on Wipe Out 2 into St. Anton and returned to the demo via Mambo. By this time it had clouded over some, so Liz did not want to go to the top again in flat light. My final demo was the Atomic Bent 90. We went off the back of 3 and skied Sanctuary down the chair 5 lift line. That snow had seemed stiff Tuesday morning but was more forgiving late in the day.

I regained some energy so after skiing Ralphie's I tried Gravy Chute as a substitute challenge comparable to the top runs. Upon Liz' recommendation I finished with Rodger's Ridge, which surprisingly had smooth chalk despite its east exposure which usually sets up a mogul field.

I finished Wednesday with 25,400 vertical. As we left the Mammoth Mountain Inn here's the view of the halfpipe and lower part of slopestyle used last month for Olympic trials.

IMG_3642.JPG

Last edited:
I'm really surprised that the hill holds up so well after a long stretch with no snow - particularly given strong winds are common there.
Do you have any idea of what percentage of the mountain is covered by artificial snow making? I would guess it would be way less than 20% with all that concentrated on the bottom half of the mountain. I'm assuming there is none up the top?

I'm really surprised that the hill holds up so well after a long stretch with no snow - particularly given strong winds are common there.
That is Mammoth's trademark and I've certainly seen it before at 3-4 weeks though this time it was 6 weeks. The wind is more a positive than negative as snow surfaces are more likely to sublimate than melt/freeze. You also get the smooth windbuff instead of moguls in many places. If you're lucky the wind will blow from the backside and deposit loose windsift on top. We were not lucky this time as the wind was upslope. Still, some of the upper steeps were not as firm as on the last visit Jan. 18-19.

Something like 500 out of 3,500 acres has snowmaking. Yes they can make snow on the Cornice:
img_8142a-jpg.29064

The above pic is from Dec. 2, 2020. Cornice was not open yet but the snowmaking towers are visible.

As at many mountains the objective with distribution of snowmaking is to serve at least one run on many lifts. So Cornice for the gondola, Saddle Bowl for chair 3 and Solitude for chair 5. Here's a TR from Dec. 15-16, 2011 with most of the manmade terrain open but little else.

Last edited:
I understand most mountains have limitations on the amount of water they can pull for snowmaking use. Is that the case at Mammoth?

I remember 'miracle March' a few years back. Have you ever seen a year start very lean like this one and then improve so much that skiing is still possible on Memorial Day?

As an aside I have my fiftieth birthday coming up on June 28. I'd love to be on skis for the day. I had hoped for a big season in the Sierra so I could go to Mammoth but it appears I'm a better chance of skiing man made at Perisher this year. If NZ open their borders Mt Hutt can often have full coverage with natural snow at that time.
I'm not too keen on a 24 hour flight to Europe for summer skiing though..........

Last edited:
I understand most mountains have limitations on the amount of water they can pull for snowmaking use. Is that the case at Mammoth?
I presume that is the case at nearly all western mountains. The conspicuous exception is Big Bear, which has a lake water source but the two areas combined there are only something like 425 acres. I am not aware that anyone in western North America has more than about 700 acres under snowmaking. Eastern areas have more complete coverage but they generally don't have more than 500-700 acres of trail acreage. The Northern Vermont places can have ~1,500+ acres of ski terrain, but a lot of that is in the trees.

The largest scale snowmaking operatioins are in the Alps. I once estimated the Dolomites might have 8,000 trail acres under snowmaking. I also observed huge snowmaking systems at SkiWelt, Kitzbuhel and Saalbach. But the Alps get a lot of rain in the summer so likely don't have water constraints like the American West.
I remember 'miracle March' a few years back. Have you ever seen a year start very lean like this one and then improve so much that skiing is still possible on Memorial Day?
Mammoth stayed open to Memorial Day in the lean 2012 and 2014 seasons. They announced an earlier date in 2015 but it snowed 2 feet in May so they pushed to Memorial Day. May 10, 1987 is the only earlier closing date listed in Mammoth's records, though I believe Mammoth closed April 10 in 1977, then reopened after getting probably 4 feet May 7-9, which explains the listed closing date of May 30.

I believe with the 203 inches snowfall to date, Mammoth chances of not making Memorial Day this year are essential nil. June 28 OTOH I'd consider a longshot at this point. This season did not start lean at all. We skied October 29 and December was huge.

Here's my TR from Memorial weekend of that lean 2012 season. The years where they barely make it to July 4 are similar at the end.
As an aside I have my fiftieth birthday coming up on June 28. I'd love to be on skis for the day.
Patrick celebrated his 40th at Mammoth June 11, 2005. Four months later he started his monthly streak which is still ongoing. He has skied June and/or July at Mammoth in 2006, 2010, 2017 and 2019.

In general I do not advocate people coming from afar to ski Mammoth past Memorial Day other than during outlier huge seasons like 2011 and 2017. If you're doing a comprehensive trip other places in the American West, sure it might be worth a day or two in that context. It's a near exact analogy to my being in Australia for 2+ weeks in July 1997. Since our tourist schedule got us to Canberra, I couldn't resist running off with our rental car to Thredbo for a day.

If sbooker really wants to ski his birthday, it seems obvious to me it should be in Oz or NZ even if it's the WROD. Late June snowpack at Spencer's Creek is as much as what I skied that day at Thredbo in 1997 in about one third of seasons.

Last edited:
Thanks @Tony Crocker
My birthday falls just prior to NSW winter holidays thankfully. I can't imagine the carnage of those crowds on very limited open acreage. Non holiday weekdays in August are bad enough. This year will be particularly crowded given the amount of likely pent up demand.

water constraints like the American West.
While watching the Phoenix Open last weekend, I got a pretty shocking reminder of how cavalierly water is often used out west -- for hundreds of golf courses in preposterous locales (and I say that as a passionate golfer), industrial agriculture, etc. With the recent news about the ongoing mega drought, you have to wonder at what point water is rationed for non-critical purposes.

While Golf courses out west can be pretty bad in water usage, many of them these days are using grey water, not potable water. Interestingly it is also grey water from Flagstaff used for snowmaking at Arizona Snowbowl too, so don't eat the snow!

Much worse usage is all the watering of thin green strips of grass in the median of roadways and the like. No one ever steps foot on that grass other than to mow it. Completely useless waste of water in desert and near desert cities. Not to mention the not even postage stamp sized grass required by many HOA's in the burb's in many cases. Nearly no usage of those grass areas as well... I've been able to replace part of my tiny grass strips out front, and hoping to get more replaced in the next year or two.

So I'm more for reducing other places first, than ones that do get some usage or provide food. My water is ~3K gallons as a base load for indoor use per month and can spike into the upper teens K usage in mid-summer in a hot and dry year. So, I can burn the equivalent of 6 months of truly useful water in a single month mostly keeping grass alive in the semi-desert. It's pretty nuts. Multiply by millions of houses across the west....

Back