Morzine, FR: 01/27/14

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
It snowed hard for several hours yesterday evening, which resulted in 4-6 inches that refreshed things nicely. I slept through the night and was 100% this morning: no jet lag.

Morzine_Piste_Map.jpg

I met first thing with my delightful host Chrystelle Felisaz, the press and communications director of Les Gets, who took me and a couple Spanish journalists on a tour of Les Gets and a good portion of Morzine, which has higher (but still tops out at only 2000m) and steeper terrain at upper elevations with correspondingly deeper snow. We warmed up with some soft on-piste:
Les Gets 002.jpg

Fremont_Race_003.jpg

By late morning, the sun came out and we lapped the Chamoissiere sector, which had a nice single-black pitch.
Fremont_Race_009.jpg

Fremont Race 010.jpg

Chrystelle enjoying the new snow:
Fremont Race 011.jpg

And then it was time for a proper French on-mountain lunch at Le Vaffieu:
Le Vaffieu.jpg

Fried camembert for me:
Fremont_Race_024.jpg

A home-plate-sized puff pastry for my host -- and she actually finished it!
Fremont_Race_025.jpg

Dessert: a double shot of espresso with crème brulée, raspberry and blueberry tarts, and chocolate/coffee pudding. There goes my girlish figure:
Fremont_Race_028.jpg

The conclusion to lunch:
Fremont Race 031.jpg

As we clicked in, it clouded up and we charged through a thick flurry of graupel, which skied well:
Fremont Race 032.jpg

That evening, I walked through Les Gets:
Les Gets Village Soir.jpg

... and had a few beers at the Irish Pub, owned and operated by an American who'd be my guide the next day:
Les Gets Pub Irlandais.jpg

After two days, I'd seen maybe 10% of the total terrain at Portes du Soleil, if that.

Last edited:
jamesdeluxe":3s5dzoa2 said:
A Home-Plate-Sized Puff Pastry For My Host

That thing is freaking enormous!

jamesdeluxe":3s5dzoa2 said:
This place is bloody huge.

I found that that pretty much describes nearly all of the Euro resorts. You're only an hour away from Chamonix by car... Hmm, time for a Vallee Blanche run off the Midi? Just kidding.

Hey, that train looks like James the Tank Engine from the Thomas series. Was that the icing on the cake (or glace sur la gateau?) from your trip? Just kidding. Add another one to my bucket list. \:D/

Back