Most reliable European Snow in February?

jkamien

Hi folks,

I have an opportunity to meet my wife anywhere in Europe or Scandinavia to ski in Mid February of 2007. :D Where should I go to maximize my chances of fresh powder?

For example, if asked that question about the US, I would answer Grand Targhee or Alta.

As in most northern hemisphere locations February tends to be the optimal month in terms of being late enough for decent coverage and early enough to avoid spring conditions except for locations with bad exposure.

So I generally tell people in January to pick a high snowfall area for coverage and in March pick a high altitude well exposed area for surface conditions. In February you have more leeway to consider other things like terrain, resort ambience, etc. In Europe you do have to worry about school holiday crowd issues, particularly British and French for France and German for Austria. Find out which weeks those are before booking.

I have minimal snow data for the Alps. By word of mouth the Arlberg in Austria, Andermatt in Switzerland and Val d'Isere in France have high snowfall reputations. But in the Alps that means 300+, not 500 like ALta and Targhee.

Tony Crocker":138fwn3o said:
In Europe you do have to worry about school holiday crowd issues, particularly British and French for France and German for Austria. Find out which weeks those are before booking.

I second that recommendation. In particular, pay attention to Bavarian holidays if you're in Austria. They seem to have holiday periods that aren't German bank holidays. The liftlines can be incredible.

Tony Crocker":138fwn3o said:
I have minimal snow data for the Alps. By word of mouth the Arlberg in Austria, Andermatt in Switzerland and Val d'Isere in France have high snowfall reputations. But in the Alps that means 300+, not 500 like ALta and Targhee.

My understanding is that the Alps have been very inconsistent for snow over the last decade. They don't have an equivalent of Little Cottonwood Canyon where you'd be shocked to see think cover in February.

When people inquire about snow reliability in the Alps, the standard answer is "choose high altitude." Over there that means above timberline and I translate that to mean March is usually the optimal month and also has the advantage of avoiding those February holiday weeks. I do think the Arlberg is likely to be the exception to that, as it is not all that high (4,000 - 9,000 I think) and some of St. Anton also has sunny exposure. So January/February rates to be better there, crowds permitting. There seems to be broad consensus that the Arlberg gets more snow than most European regions.

I agree with the above:

You're nuts to go during mid-February unless you like huge lift queues.

The Arlberg is about as snow-sure as it gets.

I always try to schedule my trips in the US in mid to late February because I have always felt that is my best chance at great snow without extremely cold temps. We skiied in Austria in 1992. I did extensive research on our best option for good snow. First I discovered our trip needed to be moved up to January as it seems they are about 3 weeks earlier than in the US. I then looked for snow guarantees and finally decided upon St. Anton. It was a great trip, lots of fresh, deep snow. I would be more than happy to share more information if needed. I think the Arlberg region would be your best bet in Austria. Crowded at St. Anton is like crowded at Alta. Nothing like Colorado. You can also ski Lech,Zurs, and Steuben from St. Anton.

You have a great opportunity to get to europe take it! I have skiied St. Anton, Bad Gastein, and the Zillertal in Austria. Obersdorf in Germany. I loved it.

This has been a tough year for snow so who ever mentioned going higher is right on with that suggestion. I would suggest St. Anton. It is a huge resort with very good snow. Yes, the tram can get crowded but there are plenty of ways around that line on smaller lifts. I was there during vacation week last year and never waited more than 5-10 minutes in lines.

There are several advantages to Europe over the West US. 1. I just got back from Utah this morning and their coverage is pretty shaky. 2. In europe, at least 90% of the people ski on the groomers. This leaves the best part of the mountain and powder for the taking. (St anton is high avalanche area. Check the reports before venturing out and get the avy gear.) 3. Ski Huts - The austrians really know how to make skiing a party. 4. Austrian culture!

UK Ski Club (http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/default.asp) has a great web site with snow conditions and reports. You have to sign up for a free membership. Also, try http://www.skisnowboardeurope.com/.

asland

Hi folks,

I agree that the best way to make sure that you get fresh powder in Europe is high altitude. Basically in every country in the European Alps no matter if it is Switzerland, France or Austria there is a high chance to get realy good snow in February. Just make sure that you do not go during the public holidays. It is so crowded everywhere that skiing in the bigger resorts is not fun any more... One of the best sites concerning reports on resorts is this site. They have daily updated weather and snow reports as well so you can choose the resort with the best powder!
In general the snow is better in Switzerland but it is a lot sunnier in Italy...
ski resorts in switzerland
ski resorts in italy

Back