Mountain Collective/Ikon/Epic 20/21.

Sbooker

Member
Very surprised at the addition of Grand Targhee. Makes for a nice cluster of hills (Alta/Snowbird/Jackson/Targhee/Big Sky) in an area with easy transport access and heaps of other things to see. Perfect way for keen skiers from overseas to sample the best of US skiing.

Panorama makes a nice addition that forms a cluster easily accessed from Calgary. Best used in spring I would think? Revelstoke first then onto Panorama and then Lake Louise/Sunshine.

Edit. An Cham for those US skiers who do an Alps trip.
 

tseeb

Active member
It makes my choice between base and full Ikon and Mountain Collective more difficult as it's hard to predict next year's skiing.

Group we missed skiing with this year at Jackson is going to Aspen, but not yet sure when so small chance I could have conflict. And even without making it to Big Sky, Alta/Snowbird/Jackson/Targhee sounds like a good trip. And to get 5 days at both Aspen and Jackson with Ikon requires paying $649 (renewal price) for base plus $150 while full pass gives you 7 days at both Aspen and Jackson for $899 (renewal).
 

vanhanbr

New member
I ultimately decided on the mountain collective pass for several reasons. I bought the pass before this corona virus mess. Ikon now offers and addition $50-100 off the already discounted renewal price to make-up for the early closing of the season. Even so, I still would have purchased the mountain collective pass because I wanted to visit Aspen and Jackson Hole. The kids pass was also considerably cheaper. I plan to augment my MC pass days with Indy resorts.
 

Sbooker

Member
vanhanbr":2bpg25uc said:
I ultimately decided on the mountain collective pass for several reasons. I bought the pass before this corona virus mess. Ikon now offers and addition $50-100 off the already discounted renewal price to make-up for the early closing of the season. Even so, I still would have purchased the mountain collective pass because I wanted to visit Aspen and Jackson Hole. The kids pass was also considerably cheaper. I plan to augment my MC pass days with Indy resorts.

Mountain Collective is great for all those reasons.
I'm still tempted to punt the purchase of a pass even though it's unlikely I'll get to use it here in our Australian winter and there's a chance I won't use it next Northern Hemisphere winter. I'll wait to see how things pan out before making a purchase of course. We can still buy 'at par' (Aussie dollars) which is a huge saving for us.
A spring skiing trip beginning late March to Revelstoke, Panorama, LL and Sunshine would be grand.
 

tseeb

Active member
The ski world has changed a lot since I posted in this thread a little over a month ago. With all the uncertainty I'd first thought about delaying purchase until fall when I could probably still buy Sierra-at-Tahoe unlimited pass for $449 or pass that is blacked out on holidays for $379. Either one gives you Powder Alliance benefits, but then I learned the only other Tahoe area on Powder Alliance, Sugar Bowl, dropped out after two years it's so not as attractive to me. While Sierra has some good lifts, terrain and side-country, and is mostly wind-protected and gets a lot of snow, it's 18 miles/30 minutes from my family's cabin at So. Tahoe including Echo Summit and avalanche-prone Meyer's Grade vs. a mile on a back road to Heavenly's CA base.

If I stick with Vail Tahoe pass, then in early September, I'm eligible for Senior version of Tahoe Value pass which is also $449. It's blacked out on holidays and you can only ski Heavenly 7 days a week as Kirkwood and Northstar are blacked out all Saturdays. But if my wife gets that pass it's $529 for her and she has not gotten enough use out of her Tahoe Vail passes. At least the last three times she had one, she would have done about as well or better using Buddy tickets on my pass, although that may require waiting in a ticket line.

And then you have to wonder if will there be a full 2020-21 season. Ikon either had some good questions or low enough pass sales that after they doubled the renewal discount and extended deadline to May 27 last week, this week they added an option to defer pass funds to 2021-22. You have to decide by Dec 10 to defer to the following season and can't have used the pass.

"Pass deferral requests must be received by Ikon Pass, Inc. between September 10 and December 10, 2020. A deferral request may be made by either the pass purchaser or the adult pass holder of any 20/21 Ikon Pass product. In each case, the associated credit will only be issued to the actual pass holder (who may not be the pass purchaser) of the deferred 20/21 Ikon Pass product. "

"There is no fee associated with the Adventure Assurance Program."

https://www.ikonpass.com/en/adventure-assurance-program" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While all that sounds good, will there still be an Ikon or Alterra if they don't have a season next winter or will they go bankrupt? I've received refund for a cancelled food festival my wife and I were supposed to attend the last weekend of March and received email notice of a refund for a play we were supposed to see on March 31, but have yet to see refund on my credit card. I was also supposed to go to concert at Chase Center on night before Easter. It's been re-scheduled to early Oct. (a year after I bought tickets), but our governor said it's not likely that we will be having big events in the near future and our county executive said large sporting events are unlikely to resume late November. We should know more by the May 27 Ikon deadline. I hope it's progress on re-opening and not setbacks.

I'm also awaiting refund for trans-Atlantic flight from Norwegian Air who may not make it through corona virus, or through April. I bought tickets in mid-Feb to fly to Spain on May 2. They canceled flight on April 10 and offered 120% credit instead of refund, but I bought flights during a 20% off sale and would rather get my money back than have credit that may be worthless. I've heard it takes two to four weeks and that credit card companies are withholding nearly 100% of funds from airline so I'm not going there yet. I realize this is all very first world problems and nothing compared to the nearly 40,000 people who have died in US so far from virus.
 

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
tseeb":3yxq0x5r said:
I'm also awaiting refund for trans-Atlantic flight from Norwegian Air who may not make it through corona virus, or through April.
Ugh, let us know if you get your refund. This article is from five weeks ago -- no idea what's happened since then:
https://www.lifeinnorway.net/norwegian-on-the-brink/

Three years ago, I flew them one way last-minute to London Gatwick because it was a thousand dollars cheaper than any other option. Brand new 787 planes but the experience felt like People's Express (anyone remember them?).
 
Sbooker":34z7uzy6 said:
Very surprised at the addition of Grand Targhee. Makes for a nice cluster of hills (Alta/Snowbird/Jackson/Targhee/Big Sky) in an area with easy transport access and heaps of other things to see. Perfect way for keen skiers from overseas to sample the best of US skiing.

Panorama makes a nice addition that forms a cluster easily accessed from Calgary. Best used in spring I would think? Revelstoke first then onto Panorama and then Lake Louise/Sunshine.

Edit. An Cham for those US skiers who do an Alps trip.

I think MCP is sold late into December and the price increase is low. Are you buying the pass in advance this time?

I have booked refundable lodging for a few trips next season but I will wait as long as I can to buy the Epic pass.
 

Sbooker

Member
sierra_cement":3uvuclu0 said:
Sbooker":3uvuclu0 said:
Very surprised at the addition of Grand Targhee. Makes for a nice cluster of hills (Alta/Snowbird/Jackson/Targhee/Big Sky) in an area with easy transport access and heaps of other things to see. Perfect way for keen skiers from overseas to sample the best of US skiing.

Panorama makes a nice addition that forms a cluster easily accessed from Calgary. Best used in spring I would think? Revelstoke first then onto Panorama and then Lake Louise/Sunshine.

Edit. An Cham for those US skiers who do an Alps trip.

I think MCP is sold late into December and the price increase is low. Are you buying the pass in advance this time?

I have booked refundable lodging for a few trips next season but I will wait as long as I can to buy the Epic pass.

I'm from Australia so I don't know if international travel will be realistically possible come next winter. So I won't be buying in advance that's for sure.
Still hoping for the best though.
I have always bought at first opportunity in the past as it has the advantage of getting the third bonus day and the ability for us to buy 'at par' in Aussie dollars.
 
Sbooker":1kvgy5be said:
I'm from Australia so I don't know if international travel will be realistically possible come next winter. So I won't be buying in advance that's for sure.
Still hoping for the best though.
I have always bought at first opportunity in the past as it has the advantage of getting the third bonus day and the ability for us to buy 'at par' in Aussie dollars.

Understood. Buying early has benefits. It's not worth the risk this time.
 

tseeb

Active member
Vail announced credits towards next year's pass for early closure. (Sorry if I'm getting off MCP topic, but seems like we could use this thread for all of next year's passes, like I have been doing.)

"To address last season’s unexpected resort closure, 19/20 season pass holders will get at least a 20% credit, and up to 80% based on how much you were able to use your pass, to apply toward a pass for next season. Epic Day Pass and Edge Card holders with unused days are also eligible for credits, up to 80%. ​

To provide you with peace of mind, we are introducing FREE Epic Coverage for 20/21 pass holders, which will provide refunds for certain resort closures, including events like COVID-19, as well as for eligible job loss, injury and more. ​ ​

To give you the time you need, we are eliminating our spring deadlines, giving you through Labor Day (Sept. 7) to use your credit and to lock in 10 Buddy Tickets. We will also continue offering the lowest up-front pass deposit of only $49 down. ​
"

This works well for me although there are a lot of details I have not read through detail on FREE Epic Coverage for 20/21 pass holders. My wife, who says she is not buying a pass for next year which means I would be doing it, would get a 44% credit towards next year's pass since she only used her pass for 3 days. Not only would I get unexpected 20% credit, but new deadline is after I will qualify for Senior version of Tahoe Value pass so it eliminates the hassle of changing pass to new version after purchase. It also could help my son who bought his pass late and bought insurance as he had overtrained and hurt his Achille preparing for Big Sur Marathon that would have been last weekend and did not used his pass. He's trying to get something from Dr. her saw in Nov. and Dec. to get 100% refund, but this would at least give him something.

On the non-pass refunds, the theatre that said they refunded my tickets quickly replied to my email and said it could take up to 30 days for credit to appear. That does not sound right to me. My friend already saw his credit . I will dispute purchase through credit card if I don't see it by the end of next week. I had seen mixed reviews on flying Norwegian before I booked, but it seemed like the only major problem (beside unexpected charges for overhead baggage) was if flight was canceled you could be waiting too long for next flight (forcing you to take refund and pay for last minute flight) as they didn't fly many routes every day and the next flights were often full. I expect to be doing a credit card chargeback with Norwegian later this week as they could be going under next week.
 
tseeb":3juvgfsv said:
To give you the time you need, we are eliminating our spring deadlines, giving you through Labor Day (Sept. 7) to use your credit and to lock in 10 Buddy Tickets. We will also continue offering the lowest up-front pass deposit of only $49 down. ​ [/i]"

This works well for me although there are a lot of details I have not read through detail on FREE Epic Coverage for 20/21 pass holders

This is good. I wasn't planning on buying until early-December. I'm still a bit confused if I should buy right away since I already have refundable lodging booked up for most trips next season. I'll book flights on Southwest once they are released in May.

Since I lose nothing by waiting until September, that's what I will do. I will re-evaluate then.
 

tseeb

Active member
Ikon quickly responded by adding Mt Bachelor and Windham. 5 days on base pass and 7 on full Ikon. Adding Bachelor makes Ikon more interesting to me as Bachelor is closer for me than UT, has long season of good snow and I have friend in the area I could stay with if I don't try a camper trip. I'd also like to improve my luck on having Summit open.
 

Sbooker

Member
Mountain Collective off sale temporarily.
I hope this disruption is does not cause Mountain Collective to end for some reason.

I'm impressed that Ikon has been able to get Mt Bachelor onside. If there was any doubt that their group of hills was not superior to Vail's lot that doubt must be quickly subsiding. I think adding one of the large Okanagan areas like Sun Peaks, Silver Star, Big White would complete their stable nicely (while catering to the 'family' category).

I'm wondering if either Vail or Alterra are chasing other largish ski areas like Loveland, Wolf Creek, Red, Whitewater, Schweitzer, Whitefish, Mt Rose etc?
 
Sbooker":1zmk35vg said:
Mountain Collective off sale temporarily.
I hope this disruption is does not cause Mountain Collective to end for some reason.

I'm impressed that Ikon has been able to get Mt Bachelor onside. If there was any doubt that their group of hills was not superior to Vail's lot that doubt must be quickly subsiding. I think adding one of the large Okanagan areas like Sun Peaks, Silver Star, Big White would complete their stable nicely (while catering to the 'family' category).

I'm wondering if either Vail or Alterra are chasing other largish ski areas like Loveland, Wolf Creek, Red, Whitewater, Schweitzer, Whitefish, Mt Rose etc?

I hope Mt. Rose doesn't go on Ikon. I'd be happy to pay again for the Rose pass again as I like ski areas with no base villages. I had a great time there for a this season.

I thought Ikon locations were more for experts. For intermediates like me, the Epic pass locations are better. That's why I'm going with Epic pass next season so I can ski Park City, Heavenly and do a ski camp at Whistler.
 

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
Sbooker":2jl5p8g2 said:
I'm wondering if either Vail or Alterra are chasing other largish ski areas like Loveland, Wolf Creek, Red, Whitewater, Schweitzer, Whitefish, Mt Rose etc?
Loveland would be absolutely nuts to join one or the two big passes.
 

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
jamesdeluxe":163xwjyo said:
Sbooker":163xwjyo said:
I'm wondering if either Vail or Alterra are chasing other largish ski areas like Loveland, Wolf Creek, Red, Whitewater, Schweitzer, Whitefish, Mt Rose etc?
Loveland would be absolutely nuts to join one or the two big passes.
I agree with James on all of those more low key areas. But I agree with sbooker that Big White or Sun Peaks make a lot of sense for Ikon. Schweitzer and Whitefish are borderline, but the locals at those places would bitch a lot.

Mt. Bachelor, as a Powdr Corp area, should have been on Ikon all along, as it's surely their most prominent area after Killington and Copper. But Bachelor has always been a stepchild to Powdr Corp. Needless to say I'm delighted with this news, and should Bachelor reopen (logical but given Powdr Corp track record I'd be astounded) I will definitely hit the road to ski there.
 

baldyskier

Member
Sbooker":lkj16f17 said:
Mountain Collective off sale temporarily.
I hope this disruption is does not cause Mountain Collective to end for some reason.

I had the MC the past few years. I was going to use it in March this year, but Coronavirus shut the door. The only concession I saw MC make so far was a $50 discount for renewals. They had no provision for passholders that didn't further use it this season, nor any refund policy if next season is impacted.

I'm not sure what they're doing now, perhaps looking to sweeten the pot, or maybe throw in the towel? MC is great for me, as I live in CA and have friends in SLC. I also would like to ski Grand Targhee. However, I do not plan to sign up to the current offer. I don't ski enough to justify the extra cost of the Ikon Pass. (More first world problems, I know.)
 

tseeb

Active member
There an update on 20/21 season passes. Ikon has extended deadline for renewal credits for three weeks from 5/26 to 6/16.

Following are more personal issues:
I received email from Vail on 5/13 that detailed pass renewal credits for my wife's Tahoe Vail Pass and my Tahoe Local Pass. My wife gets a credit of $219.56 (44% of $499 - she only used pass 3 days) so her 20/21 pass would be under $310 ($529-219.56 - just noticed the 6%/$30 bump in price). My 20% credit from $589 Tahoe Local Pass is $117.80 as I used more than 4 days on my pass. Since I can downgrade to the $449 Senior Tahoe Value Pass just before 9/7 deadline, it sounds like I get 20% off that so my pass will be $359. Seems like a good deal getting both of us passes for under $669 that cover three areas within a 4-hour drive from home with one a mile from family cabin. It will be interesting to see how it works everywhere if they have to limit crowds, which I already try to avoid.

I received refund from canceled play. Mine took weeks after BroadwaySF said it was coming while my friend's took days. I also received my refund from Norwegian Airlines flight they canceled on 4/8. They emailed me on 5/19 to say it was processing and my credit card showed it on 5/20 although I did not see it until today. My friends who I think canceled their flights in mid-March before Norwegian canceled received full refund ~8 days earlier. My only remaining item is concert tickets for show that was supposed to be night before Easter. It was originally rescheduled to 10/2/20 with no option for refund. On May 1, they rescheduled to 10/22/2021 with option through June 1 (this year) for refund which I will probably request.
 

Sbooker

Member
https://mountaincollective.com/
Mountain Collective back on sale. Third bonus day available temporarily.
Punters can cancel up until mid October - with full refund.
I'm going to buy it as my 'go to' Aussie hill (Thredbo) has announced that day tickets will be $160 this year. Yikes. So three day tickets is more expensive than the pass itself.
I'm probably not going to be able to practically leave Australia for next northern hemisphere winter but if I can I will use more of the pass somewhere I'm sure as it includes days in Japan (Niseko), Europe (Chamonix) and Canada (Panorama, Revelstoke, Lake Louise and Sunshine).
I'm daring to dream about an Easter trip to Canada or France.
Damn you Covid 19.
 

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
I renewed our Ikons a week ago. I wanted to get that out of the way before my cross country road trip started last Friday.

Liz was relatively restrained about buying live music events this year due to her being in Florida all but 4 days since Feb. 1. We have 2 concerts in September, so it's too early to know when/if they will be rescheduled.
 
Top