MRG, March 4, 2006

20thSkier

So this report is a little late but thought that some might find it useful. I went up to MRG to enjoy the fruits of the storm last weekend. So did a lot of people. The place was crowded with generally 20-30 minute liftlines. The on-piste skiing was decent but not great, despite the new snow. There was still lots of thin cover and massive patches of sheet ice, which I'm sure are much worse by now. But the woods were generally fantastic, with a few exceptions very low on the mountain. Upper-mountain woods in particular were great, with lots of light knee-deep powder to be found. Cover in those woods is pretty good, and I'm sure that even well after the storm there's still only limited icy and rocky spots.

Lower-mountain woods were also good, with a number of the classic gullies now skiable for the first time this season. Was a joy to get into some of those steep and narrow streambeds again. The very bottom of the mountain -- particularly some areas around old frontier -- were still a bit too thin. But everywhere else there was great powder and now is likely to be good skiing with nice soft snow and good cover.

Back