Mt. Baldy, CA: April 9, 2023

ChrisC

I had some meetings in Los Angeles for the upcoming week so I decided to lug my skis to SoCal to ski one last time at Mt. Baldy on Easter Sunday (not the most popular choice). Wanted to try spring skiing at Baldy vs. the mid-winter conditions I had 2 weeks earlier. Looks like Tony was here a couple of days before me. Not sure if it froze the night before, but things seemed to soften like during a normal corn cycle.

11qhnsjll5yw0kqjxfxxe4dvtnja

I was welcomed into the Baldy parking lot a little before 8:30 - not very crowded. One of the family members/owners? was wearing a sports coat (said he always does on Sundays) and directing traffic. Later in the afternoon, he would be turning all types of LA Basin snowplay patrons explaining they would need to pay $20 for parking and a certain amount to take a chairlift ride. Most just tuned around. A few seemed pissed and spun out of the parking lot.

IMG_6668.jpg

Waiting for Chair 1 to open. Notice there is no longer any snow - guess they do not want to shovel.

Met 2 guys in the liftlines that make most people on First Tracks Forums look quite sane - even Patrick. Here are their obsessions:
  1. Guy #1. He was on a quest to ski every Western resort that had at least 500 vertical feet. Knew every resort on the Indy Pass, Powder Alliance, etc. Proceeded to describe in-depth skiing at Antelope Butte WY, Soldier Mt ID, Hurrican Ridge WA, etc. Based in Las Vegas, he was upset the prior week Mt. Baldy failed to open on a Monday and did not realize he needed to check its Twitter feed to operations update.
  2. Guy #2. This talk of small random mountains awakened the second more neurotic skier with unattainable goals. His goal was to ski every expert-rated run in the American West. Me: OMG. So he knew all these remote mountains. Said he had completed 35% of his goal. Impressive. However, he described how skiing Lee Canyon the prior weekend, the trail report said all its expert runs were open, but in actuality the ski patrol had closed the access to them. The result: he would have to visit Lee Canyon again in order to check those expert runs off. Me: This sounds highly unpleasant.
Patrick keeping his Year round streak alive and sacrificing decent skiing seemed like a perfectly normal ski goal.

IMG_6673.jpg

Interesting way Mt. Baldy loads the chairs: one for skiers. next for skis. It was fun to note 2 brother's were working the lift at the top and bottom stations. The older brother at the top station kept complaining about how his younger brother was balancing the skis. Retro ski resort problems. I was amazed for such a decrepit chairlift, Baldy really utilized it to its max. If a safety bar/seat was broken, they simply just put yellow tape over the chair and kept everything operational.

IMG_6674.jpg
IMG_6679.jpg

I believe this run off of Chair 1 might be Nightmare or Chappie's Chutes or Nightmare.

IMG_6682.jpg

Top of the Notch

IMG_6684.jpg

View into the LA Basin. I don't believe you can see the ocean and Catalina Islands since there was a marine layer at LAX.

IMG_6688.jpg

Waiting for Chair 4 to open. Baldy will get around to it. It's a bit like the Caribbean here - all in good time.

IMG_6693.jpg

Riding Chair 4 for the first time. The groomers were softening into corn despite the fact it was likely above freezing. Thunder in the background.

IMG_6697.jpg

Trying to figure out how to access Holumac since it was partially burnt off. It was still too early to be venturing off the groomed at 9:30 am.

IMG_6699.jpg

Corn is about perfectly ripe around 10 am and skied very well since there was almost no skier traffic.

IMG_6704.jpg
IMG_6707.jpg
IMG_6730.jpg
IMG_6731.jpg
IMG_6735.jpg

I liked some of the gnarled trees up on Baldy.

IMG_6737.jpg

Looking north into the high desert / Mojave Desert.

IMG_6741.jpg
IMG_6750.jpg

More gnarled trees on Chair 4. Two weeks ago all of this was covered and skiable.

IMG_6758.jpg

After picking my way carefully down Holumac (a little unconsolidated on Holumac making it tough) and completing the required walking/creek crossing to rejoin the Chair 1 liftline SugarPine, made my way over to Chair 3 Thunder. Chair 4 closed for the day at 11/1130 am - even on a holiday Sunday.

Thunder was skiing very well. Photos of Emile's and Liftline. I decided to knock off the groomers while they were still fresh and skiing well.

IMG_6771.jpg
IMG_6773.jpg

I skied Skyline for the first Thunder groomer. Not sure how high this sign below is normally, but assume being buried is a good indicator of the base on north-facing terrain.

IMG_6777.jpg

Looking across to Mt. Baldy and Chair 4 runs

IMG_6779.jpg

Robin's un was skiing well:

IMG_6783.jpg

Bottom of Skyline. Perfect corn surfaces.

IMG_6786.jpg
IMG_6787.jpg

Mt. Baldy or Mt. San Antonio (official name). Impressive 10,000 summit. San Gabriels are quite the mountain range. Assume this is where all the hikers go missing.

IMG_6791.jpg
IMG_6793.jpg

Heading into the South Bowl / South Trees. The skiing was better in areas that were skier compacted. The Comeback Tail from the South Bowl/Trees/Chutes and Bill's was a bit difficult to day. Lots of stopping, stepping, and hiking at the end to get to the Thunder Lift.

IMG_6796.jpg

Herb's. Some nice medium-sized bumps were forming. Skied well.

IMG_6802.jpg

More views into the desert from Thunder: Toilet Bowl and Easy Road. Assume that's I-15 in the distance. Mountain High would be down below to the skier's left / fourtfurther West.

IMG_6808.jpg
IMG_6810.jpg
IMG_6813.jpg
IMG_6818.jpg

To be continued.....

Some more Baldy photos before heading into Bill's. This run/area was always difficult to find since you might inadvertently ski into South Bowl or The Tube. Tried to stay high on the exit to not get stuck on the Comeback Trail which was very slow today.

IMG_6821.jpg

Looking back at Herb's (left) and Andy's (right). There entrances were starting to melt out a bit so needed to precise with your turns. Otherwise, both skied very well.

IMG_6827.jpg
IMG_6831.jpg

More Baldy.

IMG_6842.jpg

Went to go explore Chair 1 runs in the early/mid-afternoon. Skied the upper catwalk all the way to the end/ski area boundary in order to drop into Bentley's Dream. This run again skied well since there was a skier consolidated line down its center.

Looking up Bentley's
IMG_6843.jpg

Looking down Bentley's into the parking lot. No bare spots except at lift base.
IMG_6844.jpg

More Chair 1

IMG_6845.jpg

I believe this is Bentley's from the chairlift.

IMG_6847.jpg
IMG_6850.jpg

Took one run down Nightmare since it too was skier packed. I avoided Morgan's Grove since it was hard to see if there were any bare spots and it was messy unconsolidated snow.

IMG_6851.jpg

Getting close to The Notch. Top of SugarPine which was pretty good on its upper half. Bare spots on the lower half.

IMG_6853.jpg

Looking down from The Notch. Still don't think you can see the Pacific today.

IMG_6855.jpg

Last run from Thunder into The Tube from Skyline

IMG_6859.jpg

IMG_6862.jpg

I left around 3-3:30 pm since was tired from an early flight, had heavy snow at times, and needed to get some mobile service to make Easter calls. Kind of amazing there are no towers up high for mobile phone use. Not many areas are that off the grid anymore.

Overall, very fun day at Baldy, and skied quite well in Spring conditions - especially Thunder/Chair3. Chair 4 was great with grooming. Needed to stay on skier packed lines down on the lower mountain/Chair 1.

Attachments

• IMG_6860.jpg
    IMG_6860.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 57
I was there two days earlier. The days seem quite similar. ChrisC got there earlier and so enjoyed more corn runs on chair 4 before they closed it at 11:30. He also skied Holcumac, which I judged too thin to be worth the possible grunt work of its exit. Morgan's Grove was worth the effort but hard to navigate if you don't know the area well.

There is some cell service at the top of Thunder, but definitely none at the Notch or parking lot.

Back