Mt. Baldy, CA, Feb. 27, 2023

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
First here are some views of SoCal's biggest cold storm since Feb. 2001. Verdugo mountains above my house (top peak 3,100 feet) had snow for only third time since I moved there in 1984.
IMG_0855a.JPG

View from 134 freeway entering Pasadena this morning:
IMG_4568a.JPG

Mt. Wilson transmitters are in the thin cloud bank center right. Snow line looks like about 2,500 feet.

First good view up from Mt. Baldy road:
IMG_4571.JPG

The 3 miles of hairpins from Baldy village up to the ski areas were impressively plowed, could easily have been handled this morning without 4WD. But this guy must have gotten stuck on Friday.
IMG_4574.JPG

Coming down the road this afternoon was more of a challenge but fortunately there were no accidents that I saw.

The website said to buy $10 parking with your lift ticket. I have heard in recent years that Baldy was charging for parking but this was the first time I've seen that enforced. If you just show up like did, it's $20. I'm not complaining overall because the senior ticket I bought online yesterday was $47.

I arrived 8AM, got to top of chair 1 at 9:20, which is a win for this scenario at Baldy. Line to redeem your reservation for a ticket was 35 minutes vs. 2 1/2 hours yesterday I was told.
IMG_0862.JPG

Line for chair 1 was maybe 10 minutes first time up and minimal after that due to the tough conditions down there and that Thunder was going to open.

First run was Nightmare, an apt description as it was churned cement, set up overnight.
IMG_0865.JPG

Since only chair 1&2 were open Sunday starting about 11AM, the line for chair 1 was often an hour, and chair 1's terrain got worked over hard.

I was told 11:30 to noon for Thunder opening, thus that first run on Nightmare. About 10:30AM I took another one on Sugarpine, which was skier packed. However the fog had rolled in by then so I switched to goggles and visibility was still a challenge in gullies like that or lower Robin's. View up Sugarpine about 3/4 of the way down:
IMG_0867.JPG

View of the Notch riding chair 1:
IMG_0874.JPG

Thunder opened 10:45AM today, but it started snowing hard at noon with a lot of wind by 1PM. I was in the lodge resting at 11:15 so missed one or two more pristine runs. Baldy is often inaccurate in its estimates of when lifts will open, but more often later vs. earlier than announced. I know my way around enough that I had several options in the trees that would not be excessively tracked.
IMG_0876.JPG

However trees near Emile's, Robin's, Herb's/Andy's and Goldridge all had several wind drifts so skiing was not fluid. Skiing along the Fire Road there was a consistent wind blast coming up from the SW. I braved that into Clementine (trees skier's left of Goldridge) and set off a couple of ~6 inch slabs of sliding snow in the way down into the beginner gulch.

Thunder's lift line was no more than 10 minutes until it emptied out about 1:15 due to the deteriorating weather. earlier I spotted a candidate for Liz' fashion police.
IMG_0877a.JPG

I ventured once down Skyline with wind drifts and blowing snow.
IMG_0881.JPG

To no surprise the best powder left was in Tube and South Bowl, both of which I skied once despite being signed closed.
IMG_0882.JPG

IMG_0883.JPG

I figured correctly that by 1:30 someone would have been in there to set the exit traverse track, and aIso observed people stepping up from the gully below Thunder's base.

They called last chair on Thunder at 2:20 due to increasing wind. I took that on Liftline, which was being smoothed out into windbuff. With all the fog, snow and wind it was an exhausting day for a modest 13,600 vertical, perhaps 4K of quite challenging powder. I skied to the parkng lot via Bentley's which was also being smoothed and filled in by the wind and new snow. It was still strenuous due to the bad visibility.

Website says Baldy will be closed Wednesday, so Thursday looks like a good call for next visit with at least another foot of snow predicted by then.

One more SoCal snow picture is going viral today as Garry showed it to me this afternoon and Adam commented upon it while I was driving home.
SanJacinto022523.jpg

This is the north face of San Jacinto, at 9,000 feet one of the few sustained verticals in North America comparable to some in the Alps. The picture was probably taken from Interstate 10 with a big zoom lens. Someone was fortunate to be ready when the avalanche was happening.

Last edited:
amazing. thanks for the TR. i've been in that fog soup many many times (as you probably have as well).

such a busy busy place now. doubt if i'll ever go back. interesting all the rope tuckers in south bowl.... if they open up today.......could be good.

sorry you missed the first chair on thunder - it's frustrating w/ that place......as it usually is "later" or "tomorrow" in general.

my buddy has a saying: "the good, the bad, the Baldy."

that photo of the North Face of Jacinto is impressive. i've stood at the top before after hiking from Idyllwild and it's an impressive view down to the desert with those massive boulders on the north face. there must have been serious snow accumulating in that area to create that as avalanches aren't terribly common in SoCal mountains .......

i've never once skiied Herbs' without seriously wind affected snow...

you didn't try Eric's as a last run to the car?

Last edited:
Tony I'd like to know if you know anything about the actual financials of Baldy. two families run the place?

they've done improvements on the Notch but zero investment in the chairlifts. they have tried to increase revenue during summer months as well.

the reliability of the chairlifts have always been questionable.......i recall being stuck for an hour on the lift once.......

That looks like very little fun.
Not unexpected IMHO. Huge storms like that rarely leave nice powder. It's too wet/heavy, too wind blasted, too something... At least that's my general experience when the storm cycle is more than ~2-3 feet.

'As they say', "good on ya for the effort". Hopefully the big storm snow is now a great base and the next foot+ is the skiable powder for later this week.

agree, that doesn't look like much fun, but again... good effort!
again, to make this post about me... My biggest nightmare at Baldy was the 2001 storms... got caught too low in South Bowl and had to huff it back up the canyon in 4+ feet of snow. Thankfully, I knew where I was and didn't follow buddy's advice to go downcanyon. Scary shit.

Looks like all other roads to the Big Bear and Wrightwood are still closed to the public. Crazy!

you didn't try Eric's as a last run to the car?
Chair 4 did not run, so it would have been a ~20 minute boot pack. I did that on New Year’s Day 2005.

But the weather yesterday afternoon was quite vicious, so probably not a great idea to go that far OB by myself. There were also those wind slabs I released on Clementine, and some of Eric’s has similar wind exposure.

Weather is supposed to be good Thursday so I should get a shot at Eric’s then or next week.

got caught too low in South Bowl and had to huff it back up the canyon in 4+ feet of snow.
Down canyon from South Bowl is Big Butch, which comes out about 1/4 mile below the parking lot entrance. I’ve done that twice.

The back of Thunder/South Bowl drains to Icehouse Canyon and the bottom of the switchback road. Garry has skied that.

What is your call on total accumulation: four-ish feet?
Last 7 day total at Mt. High is now 103 inches. It would be unusual for Baldy to get less than Mt. High from this type of storm.

Hopefully the big storm snow is now a great base and the next foot+ is the skiable powder for later this week.
That is the plan for Thursday, especially with Baldy saying it will be closed Wednesday. I bought last night because the senior rate was $26 (regular rate was $64). If you buy Thursday now, those numbers are $65 and $115, similar to the weekend.

Last edited:
Some of the best skiing I've done there is going back past South Bowl along the next ridge. Yes, the hike back sucks to the parking lot but it's pure untracked fun past that point.

Some of the best skiing I've done there is going back past South Bowl along the next ridge. Yes, the hike back sucks to the parking lot but it's pure untracked fun past that point.
I had a hunch at the time it came out down below the parking lot eventually, but it in 4 ft of fresh, soft powder, it was impossible to ride that way out, especially once you get to the bottom south bowl. That's what happened to us.

New Year's Day 2005 report. Back then I was captioning pictures, but the captions were lost in the Xenforo conversion so I just redid them from memory. From my notes I see that I skied Eric's with Garry when he was leaving at 2PM and finished my day on South Bowl 2 and Big Butch, hiking back up to the parking lot.

Last edited:
look at how empty that place is from ........18 years ago LOL. our family moved to Claremont in 1990 and started skiing baldy back then......those empty days are looooong gone.

Is "south bowl 2" indicated here by my red line ? I indicate south bowl 1 with a blue line. The time I access the area in red line I traverse along the ridge indicated in green.

south bowl 2.jpg

Yes that's exactly right. Note the next drainage beyond the end of your green line is Big Butch with obvious avalanche exposure.

welp, NO skiing today w/ the avalanche at Baldy! with a few days of freeze thaw cycle that will occur in SoCal, you can expect that snow to start to settle and become a nice base :) nobody is open. water water everywhere and not a drop to drink!!!!

look at how empty that place is from ........18 years ago (...) those empty days are looooong gone.
Why does Baldy have such a larger clientele now? These days, it's usually because a ski area joins one of mega season passes; however, Baldy isn't with Indy Pass and AFAIK there's no reciprocity with other similar mountains (e.g. Loveland).

Everyone wants to ski /board these days. Demand has gone way way up and supply has not. Baldy hasn't expanded any lift capacity or skiable acreage in what.....50 years? Social media , less people working in general, more flextime, large urban market, really piss-poor snow years down here over the past say 13 years..........everything combines to make a powder day at Baldy a true unicorn and the experience suffers. Quiet sleepy powder days at Baldy are a thing of the past.

look at how empty that place is from ........18 years ago LOL. our family moved to Claremont in 1990 and started skiing baldy back then......those empty days are looooong gone.
You're wrong about that. Big powder days have always been a feeding frenzy with huge lines for tickets and chair 1. Remember, this week no other SoCal ski areas are open to the L.A. Basin.

Non powder days at Baldy are far LESS busy than 2010 and prior because Baldy hasn't had robust coverage since then. After that many marginal seasons, people give up on it. Big Bear's dominance grows with every snowmaking dependent season, which includes this one until last week. Remember how empty Mt. High East was when Garry and I were there 3 weeks ago. And to casual skiers, March is the month that skiing is winding down. As for me, my median ski date is February 26.

I'm leaving for Baldy momentarily, confirmed open today.

Last edited:
Back