Mt. Baldy, CA Road Bike Ride

baldyskier

It has been 2 years since I've skied at Mt. Baldy, due to 2 bad winters in So. CA. On Saturday I was in Claremont at Harvey Mudd College (Admitted Students Weekend for my daughter). Since I knew I had free time in the afternoon, I brought my road bike along and rode up to the Mt. Baldy parking lot from the college, starting at about 2:15 PM. The ride was about 15 miles each way, with 5000 ft. of elevation change. The weather was a little warm in Claremont (about 77 deg.), but cooled off nicely after I had climbed for awhile. It was a good ride, although the top mile or so was tough. I've biked up Baldy Road several times before, but it felt tougher this time. I ended up taking several breaks near the top, and even resorted to zig-zagging back and forth across the road (while watching for cars, of course). I was surprised to see quite a few cars in the parking lot, and fairly large groups of hikers.
I headed back down after about 30 min. By then it was in the upper 40's, and leg and arm warmers with a light bike vest weren't enough, especially with the wind chill created by my downhill speeds of 25-40 mph. I stopped to don a balaclava, but I was still cold.
Here is a link to an article that favorably compares the climb up Baldy Road to one of the famous Tour de France climbs, L'Alpe d'Huez:
http://www.socalvelo.com/sub/mount_baldy_road.htm
Pictures:
IMG_0501-r.jpg
IMG_0503-r.jpg
IMG_0506-r.jpg
IMG_0507-r.jpg
IMG_0509-r.jpg
IMG_0512-r.jpg

a great ride......one i have done many times.......although you are brave to leave at 2:15 pm..........i opt for a 6 am start to ensure minimal road traffic...... :)

I never knew where Harvey Mudd was in the big state of Calif.. now I do!

I don't know why, but it just seems too early for a biking TR (even though I'm biking with my son most every day).

EMSC":1r7ywa2z said:
I don't know why, but it just seems too early for a biking TR (even though I'm biking with my son most every day).
This year baldyskier could have done that bike ride in January with about the same weather as now.

January was at least as warm as April so far (at least by the coast).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back