Mt. High, CA, January 6, 2022

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
On Thursday Liz and I tried Mt. High, which got considerably more snow from the Dec. 29-30 storms (24-30 inches) than Snow Valley and Big Bear. Another pleasant surprise that the only evidence of rain was at the very bottom of Mt High East at 6,600 feet even though it had rained to the top of Snow Valley at 7,800. This skier arrived by bike.
IMG_3164.JPG

Mt. High has staffing issues, though an employee said it was temporary due to several people being out with COVID. This meant East was even quieter than usual with no beginner chair or restaurant open at the top and no shuttle bus between the two areas. Nonetheless we were charged $20 for parking, unlike two years ago when that charge was only for snowplayers.

The day also got off to a slow start when our first ride on the East Express lift stopped here for 20 minutes.

IMG_3165.JPG

The top third of East is deserted after the stoppage.

IMG_3166.JPG

After the long chair sit with no footrest I had arch cramps at the end of my first run even though it was an excellent groomer. For the first few runs I also had a sensitive toe when exiting the lift. Liz had an occasional sore toe which got worse later. Signs at the top of East:

IMG_0196.JPG

There were sightseers up there despite no facilities open other than the restroom.

This was almost exactly two years after Liz' Mt. High accident, and the holiday season weather was fairly similar. The big storm that season was about a week earlier, but this year's storm was bigger at Mt. High so both coverage and surfaces were better. Temperatures earlier in the week had been in the 40's but were over 50 today. However, with low skier traffic the groomers remained excellent for all 8 of our runs. In two hours Liz had skied more vertical than all day Monday at Snow Valley.

Top of the Wildcard/Sundance groomers:

IMG_3171.JPG

There were some thin spots here two years ago but not now. Even the often sketchy or icy Canyon run was in good shape. For our last run on East we skied Olympic Bowl.

IMG_3173.JPG

IMG_3177.JPG

The steepest part still had winter snow, so that's how we knew that it had escaped the rain. Olympic was still a challenge as it had been chopped into ledges by snowboarders.

We skied through the closed upper beginner area to the fire road leading to West.

IMG_0198.JPG

We skied to the base of West via the same Headwall run of Liz' accident.

IMG_3182.JPG

Snow and light were much better this time.

Beginner lifts and park features at base of West.

IMG_3190.JPG

The softest packed powder was on the skier's left sides of Vertigo, Calamity and Wyatt, always shaded by trees in January. We then rode Conquest, which has a view to the Pacific through a gap in the San Gabriel Mountains.

IMG_3194a.JPG

The is a low cloud layer but Catalina and Palos Verdes poke above it. San Clemente Island 110 miles distant is barely visible left of Catalina.

We sampled some ungroomed here, Wildfire off Inferno Ridge.

IMG_3193.JPG

Gunslinger:

IMG_3196.JPG

With no shuttle I planned to ski the sidecountry Sawmill Canyon back to the East parking lot after 4PM. Liz had taken a 20 minute break for her foot but felt good when we were skiing the Conquest runs.

Despite being in the trees most of the snow was soft but heavy after the warm day.

IMG_3201.JPG

I tried to find open lines while pushing skier's left so not getting into the bottom of a gully too soon.

IMG_0203.JPG

The ridge with East's high speed lift is in the background.

We came upon this bench, seemingly in the middle of nowhere.

IMG_0204.JPG

We got about 2/3 of the way down when Liz' toe pain returned with a vengeance. So progress slowed and we finally got to the car at 5:15. I skied 16,000 vertical on East and 10,200 on West.

Mountain High currently has the best SoCal skiing IMHO and I expect that unusual situation to remain for at least a week more. Why is that? Mt. High's excess snow from the Dec. 29-30 storm left them with comparable base depth and surfaces as Big Bear. I find Mt. High's terrain superior: the groomer fall lines on East are longer than the ones at Big Bear and though Mt. High's steep pitches are short, they are more numerous than at Big Bear. And the drive is much easier.

As for ungroomed skiing, it's not very good anywhere, and I looked for it quite a bit at Baldy. The storm finished heavy, so last weekend's crowds left a lot of set up churned powder. Then it was warm Thursday accelerating the melt freeze process. Friday was not as warm as yesterday so shaded ungroomed is fairly firm. January's sun is enough to melt/freeze but rarely enough to generate corn.

Meanwhile Mt. Waterman has still not opened, and when it does it will be worse than Sawmill Canyon was Thursday. Waterman is an attractive proposition in powder, but when does its road ever open before the powder is degraded?

snowplayers

We've discussed this before -- the only region in North America where this is a prevalent concept seems to be southern California. In Europe, the equivalent, I guess, is Chinese tourists arriving in buses to sightsee at the top of ski areas, even off-the-beaten-path ones. You may recall this pic from Rigi, Switzerland a while back:
017_-28copy-29-jpg.2835

Northern and Central CA also has snowplayers. Heavenly has $$$$ gondola from near the stateline that takes sightseers and snowplayers to over 9K. There is a stop on the way up for the view (where I've never gotten off to check it out) as lodge at top does not have view, but has sledding lanes and lift, and lodge with bar and shop. On US-50, they have to patrol to keep people from stopping where they shouldn't and there is a $$ sledding area at Echo Summit where there used to be a ski area then training facility for Mexico City Olympics. Most other highways into Sierra have or had similar areas.

Engelberg lunch spot, January 2019
IMG_5447.JPG

I'm inclined to agree with James that the scale of SoCal's snowplayer scene is unique. Last weekend Mt. Baldy's snow report warned people to get up there before the "Zombie Snowplayer Apocalypse." There's 3 miles of hairpin turns rising from 5,000 feet to Baldy's lot at 6,500. That road will be solidly parked with cars as far down as the snow line, which occasionally means another 1,000 feet to Mt. Baldy Village. My impression, which I'm sure snowave can confirm, is that the road between Wrightwood and Mt. High is similar. Needless to say the level of snow driving skills leaves something to be desired. Once I was stuck in Baldy's parking lot to 9PM while accidents were being cleared.

Last edited:
Last weekend Mt. Baldy's snow report warned people to get up there before the "Zombie Snowplayer Apocalypse."
I was going to ask you to explain what snowplayers do at a no-frills place like Baldy; however, this page describes the experience. Do that many people show up for tubing or are there other activities?

While several areas have tubing parks, most of the snowplayers are not formally organized. They just park and play in the snow. Filling up the bed of pickup trucks with snow to take home is a popular pastime.
img_0707a-jpg.27826

The above pic is on Baldy's access road Christmas 2019. People look at a map and see Baldy as shortest driving distance to the snow. That's the way I saw it as a clueless beginner skier in 1976, ended up with a blown ACL on my second day.

Last edited:
ah, the good ole snowplayers. Probably the main reason I left the Forest Service at Big Pines/Wrightwood. Just pure stupidity/madness.

Good to see Mt. High East finally open. It was my saving grace during the first few winters in Wrightwood, as it's the best, long groomers in Socal. Unfortunately, they stopped opening the East resort during the weekdays in later years (and of course, snow was always a concern, too).

Thanks for the report, Tony.

Back