Nambung National Park, Western Australia, April 26, 2023

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
A French couple on the Coral Discoverer had been in Perth before the cruise and recommended the park 200km north. We decided at the last minute to substitute this for driving to the southernmost point of Western Australia, and the pics below surely suggest this was a good call. The highlight Pinnacles are recommended for sunrise and sunset, so we thought our scheduled 1:30PM arrival time in Perth would be perfect. Qantas had other ideas, as our flight was delayed so we arrived 3PM and did not get to the town of Cervantes until well after sunset. It also rained intermittently on the drive north so perhaps sunset on the 25th would not have been so good. Signs on the Indian Ocean Highway warn of unusual wildlife.
IMG_9875a.JPG

We got up early and drove to the park before dawn. We were greeted by this kangaroo before the park entrance.

IMG_9803.JPG

Our first view of the Pinnacles was at sunrise.

IMG_1967.JPG

They are limestone and their means of formation is still speculative. The leading theory is that a forest was submerged by rising sea level, with the dead tree trunks covered by seashells that later formed limestone. In modern times the Pinnacles have periodically been buried then exposed by sand dunes.

The ending weather system soon created a rainbow for scenic backdrop.
DSC09170.JPG

IMG_1977a.JPG

IMG_1983a.JPG

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_9821.JPG

On the loop drive there was a slightly elevated viewing platform, with trails leading off in varied directions. Just off the northern trail Liz encountered another kangaroo.

DSC09181.JPG

IMG_9828a.JPG

Walking farther I approached these Gulah birds on some of the Pinnacles.

IMG_2017.JPG

They took off when I got too close.

IMG_2018a.JPG

Overview to the north:

IMG_9829.JPG

Most of the region is covered in dense bushes. The open red/brown sand is only in the immediate area of the Pinnacles. There are occasional white sand dunes like the one in the background but most of those are near the beaches.

Back on the road we saw these 3 emus.

IMG_2026a.JPG

They disappeared into the bushes at far right before we could get any closer.

At the end of the road we could see tracks up the sand to a higher viewpoint. Up there we had a clearer view to the Indian Ocean.

IMG_2041.JPG

There must be some kind of reef offshore for that line of breakers.

Liz is descending back to our car.
IMG_2043a.JPG

We walked toward this outcropping and Liz approached two emus.

IMG_2056a.JPG

Maybe too close?

DSC09208.JPG

The emus did not make any noise and soon walked off to the east.

DSC09220.JPG

We got someone to take our picture at the outcropping.

DSC09224.JPG

We continued the drive and reached the tallest Pinnacles.

DSC09230.JPG

DSC09235.JPG

In this area only many of the Pinnacles were eroding.

IMG_2082a.JPG

IMG_2084a.JPG

Nearly all of the erosion was at similar height (weak layer?) and facing east (wind exposure?). This was the most eroded one we saw.

IMG_9847.JPG

The visitor center did not open until 9:30 so we spent the next hour around Hangover Bay.

IMG_2089.JPG

Not far away was this sand dune.

IMG_2095.JPG

DSC09243.JPG

We fortunately found this trail leading up to the dune.

IMG_9858.JPG

Bushwhacking would have been difficult.

The other rare features here are the stromatolites at Lake Thetis.

IMG_2112.JPG

These are built by cyanobacteria. Fossilized stromatolites are the oldest in the world at 3.6 billion years.

Cervantes has a noted lobster shack, which we visited at its 11AM opening.

IMG_9879.JPG

The pot between my lobster roll and Liz’ lobster chowder has chili mussels.

Last edited:
like james said, wow!!! my daughter lived in Aussie and my wife visited.. unfortunately they don't have the need to go back...

Nice pics. I hope any interaction you’ve had with the locals and service people has been good. As Aussies we’ve never had anything but the friendliest experiences in North America.

In the last day on the ship trivia contest we learned that there are 34 million kangaroos in Australia. So yes most everywhere.

Back