Palisades Tahoe, CA 4/27/2022

tseeb

I was in short line for Funitel about 10 minutes before it opened at 9. Even though staff made sure to open all windows before letting anyone on, I’ll try to remember to bring a mask for it if I return. I started with four different and all excellent groomers on Gold Coast before moving to Siberia that I skied three times. The groomer at the top was in great shape but it was still firm where it flattened and was not getting as much sun. I followed E-facing groomed route closest to chair to get to bottom as more N-facing was firm. I used Big Blue to move to and ski Shirley Lake to Granite Chief where I took a few laps on Main Backside that was also very good. Chair was uncrowded enough that I was mostly able to ride single and catch up on phone calls.

After spotting @4ster skiing under me while going up Shirley, I moved to Solitude for a few laps. The ungroomed between top of Solitude
View attachment 31849
and Silverado was still firm, but it is getting close to corn and skied OK where it tilted E. I moved back to Granite Chief and saw @4ster would not be too far behind me so I waited at top for him. I skied Main Backside with him and his brother (who went to same high school as me - he was a Senior while I was a Freshman) and a couple friends. We moved to Siberia for a few fast laps, where we saw @philpug and others from SkiTalk at bottom and waited for them at top.

@4ster’s group were all tearing up the bumps on the leftside of the groomer at top while I was trying not to get dropped. We also tried a few of the more N-facing very well groomed routes on lower half that skied great. We all moved to Solitude for a couple of laps with @John Webb joining us. @4ster and his group soon left while John and I did another trip to Granite, skied the groomer looker’s right of Shirley and a couple of Siberia laps. John followed me to the bottom where I quit about 3 after skiing almost to Ski Patrol building where my walk to car was only a couple of minutes. My watch counted 33 lifts, which may be my highest ever although vertical was only 28.5K since many lifts were well under 1k.

Snow at Palisades started and stayed better than previous day at Kirkwood. Besides a harder freeze, grooming seemed to be better and on more runs than at Kirkwood, and higher traffic mostly improved surface. In fairness, I heard that each day this week at Palisades has been better and someone on TGR posted about Wednesday: “Good spring skiing day at KW today, (yesterday was way too manky).“ I canceled room I had reserved for tonight for Mammoth (mostly due to predicted wind and to avoid longer drive). I will return to Kirkwood today and ski either there or Palisades Fri, then plan to return to Palisades on Sat (when my pass is blacked out at KW) and will go to Kirkwood’s closing, then home on Sun.

Back