Palisades Tahoe, CA 5/30/2022

tseeb

I arrived Truckee about 4 PM on Sun and from I-80 saw dusting of new snow in trees on 9K+ ridge N/NW of Mt Rose. I also heard reports of snow in upper Incline Village and at Palisades. I loaded the Funitel about 8:10 on Mon and shared my first Gold Coast lift with a unicorn.
4172Unicorn.JPG

My next ride on Gold Coast I sat next to Leigh from Roseville who I’d met in previous year(s) and skied with in a large group at Palisades on 5/22 and would ski with most of Palisades closing/Memorial day. We did every groomed run on Gold Coast twice. Snow had good firmness even though runs face E/SE. Most of the day was at least partially overcast which also helped preserve surface. We moved to Shirley Lake which we skied about 12 times, trying every groomed and a couple of ungroomed runs, many with Lou D, who tries to ski 200 days every season at Palisades.
4196Dinosaur.JPG

Leigh and I took an early run to far looker right of Shirley Bowl, past the wiggles, one was deep enough that riders almost disappeared in places. Best run was probably no. 4 where snow stays firmer due to it being used for racing earlier in Spring.
4201ShirleyWiggle.JPG
Both runs on either side of top of chair were also good. Line at lift quickly grew from 1 to 3 to almost 5 minutes. There were a lot of shorts and costumes including a guy with a colorful mohawk wearing what looked like theatrical/Mad Max style body armor and a guy boarding while riding a dinosaur.
4179LeighDropping.JPG

To get out of the Shirley line we did the hike from top of Gold Coast to National Chute. It took us almost 45 min, including a stop to share some snacks I had at the top of Siberia, which could have been running if they’d moved a little snow at the base, but maybe they did not have enough staff. The road from there to National Chute was easier that bootpacking steep snow up Siberia Ridge. Leigh avoided this as she was behind me and someone showed her road that had one switchback and was much gentler grade, but rocky. Above is @Leigh on the easiest drop off traverse from Gold Coast to where the long bootpack/walk starts.
4181TonyPalisades.JPG

There were flocks of large white birds riding thermals between top of Palisades and the Lake. I had dropped my jacket at Gold Coast before hike, but was still wearing two thin base layers under my Hawaiian shirt which got a little warm going up Siberia Ridge.

Main Chute looked like it required downclimbing to get to snow which may have made it an easier entry than usual. This skier is on apron after skiing Main.
4189MainChuter.JPG

Leigh in National Chute with some of the birds flying over. She was not comfortable with the firmness and steepness as she could not hold her usual tight carve.
4192LeighNationalBirds.JPG

I entered chute by skiing about half of the steep ramp at top right but did the E-facing side of it, not the near-vertical N-facing. It was much firmer than on the previous Sun when I skied it about an hour later.

This is the only bikini I saw and I'm not sure if she skied a run in it or was only posing.
4177Bikini.JPG

I quit skiing about 1:45 with 25 lift rides and over 17K. After digging up drinks and snacks I'd buried in snow on first run. I had a tequila lime seltzer and some snacks while enjoying the view, music and some people dancing outside Gold Coast lodge.
4205EndOfSeason.JPG

After sharing my Funitel download with guy sitting next to me smoking some bowls and relaxing at my SUV, then looking at always amazing Keoki's gallery, I parked at end of Olympic Valley and rested for a while more before taking a bike ride up the Truckee river to the first bridge past River Ranch.
4207TruckeeRiver.JPG
It started raining big drops before I got back to my friend's house for dinner at 5 which continued on and off until sunset. I had to scrape layer on ice after 7 AM the next morning before I drove to meet excavator at my Mom’s rental above Auburn. Operator quickly located septic tank that 3 previous guys/crews were unable to do. Lids were dug out with any damage besides to lawn and some tree roots, then lids and tank inlet were improved and tank was pumped out (for first time in 20+ years) by noon. I was home about 3 PM after gas stop at Danville Costco. $5.79/gallon (before 4% cashback) for $107, my first $100+ tank in my SUV.

I parked at end of Olympic Valley and rested for a while more before taking a bike ride up the Truckee river to the first bridge past River Ranch.
I always like multi-sport spring days.

$5.79/gallon
Even when I was just in wildly expensive New York I only paid $4.67/gallon - over a buck less than that. Ouch. (and so far Colorado has been far less than that. I see some stations over $4, but haven't paid over $4 locally yet myself - 'crosses fingers').

Cheapest gas in CA jumped in last week from just over $5 to not much under $6. Maybe it's our special Summer blend (or more likely just gouging by oil companies).

George Skelton in the LA Times Nov. 18, 2021 published a breakdown of California gas prices:
Crude $2.00
Standard Refining $1.00
Distribution $0.40
Taxes $0.85
Anti-smog refining plus cap-and-trade $0.56
The above add to $4.81 which is about right for regular in urban SoCal today.

The excess vs. an average US state should be the 56 cents plus 29 cents of the taxes.

February was about the same as November. In L.A. County the big jump in average gas price was from $4.57 in February to $5.59 in March, which coincides with the Ukraine invasion. April was $5.62 and May $5.75. Summer blend (that adds to the anti-smog refining number) and increased driving tend to bump prices in summer some regardless of other factors. The $0.40 distribution number gets jacked up for places like Mono County.

According to AAA today 6/1, national average gas price is $4.67 and California is by far the highest state at $6.19. I thought the $0.85 difference implied by George Skelton vs. other states was in the ballpark in November but that gap has widened this spring. AAA has NY at $4.93 and CO at $4.37 today. In summer/fall 2020 gas prices in the states where I was driving cross country averaged about $2.40 vs. $3.00 in California.

Last edited:
Front page story this AM in San Jose Mercury News includes “there’s also been a difficult to explain ‘mystery bump’ of 30 cents in California prices for the last several years. And lately that bump has roughly doubled to 60 cents.” GOUGING

D9496171-CF64-4556-82DD-BE9A09B1D8A7.jpeg

7E3F6CFC-D8FB-4C0D-A9D4-E9468DCD0776.jpeg

I believe that the refineries are the culprit in most of these episodes. When refineries are closed after an accident or even routine maintenance, those remaining take advantage of the situation. Refineries in California have to produce a unique product and it's practically impossible to build new ones. Therefore importing more crude oil doesn't address the problem. Furthermore refinery capacity is not flexible but demand for gas is (down during pandemic, up with recovery, higher in summer, etc.).

Crude oil price is determined internationally by events like the Ukraine invasion, pandemic, etc. But California's situation vs. other states is mostly about taxes, regulations and the ability of refiners to charge much more when supply is tight vs. demand. As one who grew up in SoCal smog in 1960's, I have no complaints about the regulations.

Last edited:
Back